Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amy Acuff shooting for 6th Olympic Team

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Amy Acuff shooting for 6th Olympic Team

    And so it begins: 1.82 at an all-comers meet in her home of Austin:
    http://masterstrack.com/2015/01/33937/

    Amy tells me she's planning to jump at USA indoor and outdoor nationals in hopes of making the Beijing team. She turns 40 in mid-July.

    K E N

  • #2
    Amy up to 1.85 — last Saturday:
    http://trackforlife.com/results/20150124.htm

    K E N

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by KenStone View Post
      Amy up to 1.85 — last Saturday:
      http://trackforlife.com/results/20150124.htm

      K E N
      Can't tell if this was an indoor or outdoor meet.
      They had a 60 meter, but also had a 100 meter!
      They also had a JT, but some indoor facilities can do the Javelin.
      Do you know which it was?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by aaronk View Post
        Can't tell if this was an indoor or outdoor meet.
        They had a 60 meter, but also had a 100 meter!
        They also had a JT, but some indoor facilities can do the Javelin.
        Do you know which it was?
        Outdoor meet

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by aaronk View Post
          Can't tell if this was an indoor or outdoor meet.
          They had a 60 meter, but also had a 100 meter!
          They also had a JT, but some indoor facilities can do the Javelin.
          Do you know which it was?
          It was an outdoor all-comers meet in Austin.

          Comment


          • #6
            At first I laughed when I read this header but a 1.89 made the Moscow team. Eliminate McPherson and a 1.84 would have been enough. I'm thinking Amy is all about seizing a good opportunity on what projects to be a very weak team after Barrett and Lowe. I'll be rooting for her.

            Comment


            • #7
              The WC's are in August, right?
              Acuff will be 40 then.
              Has anyone---man or woman--ever made a WC or Olympic team in the HJ----no matter how weak the team was---at Age 40 or beyond?

              BTW, Lowe jumped just 6-0.75 this weekend, so at least right now, she's no better than Acuff!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                The WC's are in August, right?
                Acuff will be 40 then.
                Has anyone---man or woman--ever made a WC or Olympic team in the HJ----no matter how weak the team was---at Age 40 or beyond?

                BTW, Lowe jumped just 6-0.75 this weekend, so at least right now, she's no better than Acuff!
                Dragutin Topic of Serbia was 41 years and 146 days old on August 5, 2012 and Venelina Veneva-Mateeva from Bulgaria was 38 years and 57 days old on August 9th, 2012. Those 2 broke the oldest competitor record, man and woman, in high jump Olympic history in 2012.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The only time I ever saw (in person) Acuff in competition was NCAA 1997 (iirc -- I probably should look this up). When I think about my own life, that seems a very very long time ago. To think of her possibly being in the 2016 OG, it is amazing. I hope she can do it.

                  Further -- regarding this possibility -- her DOB is 14 July 1975, so if she did compete in Rio, she would be 41+ but not quite as old as the oldest HJer mentioned above. But that is several jumps ahead in the story.
                  Last edited by Master Po; 02-01-2015, 12:04 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lefterisp View Post
                    Dragutin Topic of Serbia was 41 years and 146 days old on August 5, 2012 and Venelina Veneva-Mateeva from Bulgaria was 38 years and 57 days old on August 9th, 2012. Those 2 broke the oldest competitor record, man and woman, in high jump Olympic history in 2012.
                    And Veneva jumped 1.90 last year - WR for women over 40. She still competes.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Veneva jumped 1.90 indoors 2 days ago.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bruce3404 View Post
                        At first I laughed when I read this header but a 1.89 made the Moscow team. Eliminate McPherson and a 1.84 would have been enough.
                        Nope, it wouldn't have. You also need to make the qualifying standard to earn a WC ticket; this year, it's 1.94.
                        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Powell View Post
                          You also need to make the qualifying standard to earn a WC ticket; this year, it's 1.94.
                          Hmmm, that would be very close to her HSR (1.93), which still stands 22 years later!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Amy won the Texas Relays today at 1.88. She then passed 1.91 and took three shots at 1.94 (6-4 1/4). She jumped her listed height, BTW (6-2).

                            http://masterstrack.com/2015/03/35300/

                            K E N
                            Last edited by KenStone; 03-29-2015, 12:17 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
                              Veneva jumped 1.90 indoors 2 days ago.
                              Veneva is up to 1.94 indoors this year:
                              http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/bulgari...70#progression

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X