Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lavillenie vs. Bubka

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lavillenie vs. Bubka

    Renaud Lavillenie made 6m this week for the 8th time in his career. What are the odds of his topping Bubka's total number of 6m clearances? And, if he does how will he be viewed in comparison to the Big Man?

  • #2
    forget number of 6-meter meets; get back to me when Lavillenie wins 6 World Championships in a row (and Bubka's might have been 8 in a row, had there been every-2-year WC at the beginning of his career).

    Comment


    • #3
      But he's a good chance to top his Olympic medal count...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CoachBarto View Post
        Renaud Lavillenie made 6m this week for the 8th time in his career. What are the odds of his topping Bubka's total number of 6m clearances?
        Given that he needs to get 36 to match Bubka, I'd give him around 1-100
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

        Comment


        • #5
          It was R Lavillenie's 10th vault over 6m, but the 8th competition in which he vaulted over 6m. He vaulted twice over 6m in two competitions last year (6,00 - 6,08 and 6,01 - 6,16).

          Bubka cleared 6m or better on 45 occasions, so Lavillenie only has 35 to go
          I suppose we'll see where he's at at the end of this indoor season.

          As far as medal counts go, we're tied at one gold each for the Oly.
          Interestingly, Bubka only had one European gold, and one European gold indoor, and no other medals. RL has 3 and 3.
          For the Worlds, Bubka leads 6-0 outdoor (1 silver, two bronzes for RL), and indoor we're 3-1.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tamabi View Post
            It was R Lavillenie's 10th vault over 6m, but the 8th competition in which he vaulted over 6m. He vaulted twice over 6m in two competitions last year (6,00 - 6,08 and 6,01 - 6,16).

            Bubka cleared 6m or better on 45 occasions, so Lavillenie only has 35 to go
            If you count ancillary vaults, it's still 36. By my count, it's 46 actual 6 meter clearances (in 44 competitions) for Bubka and 10 (in 8 competitions) for Lavillenie.
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gh View Post
              forget number of 6-meter meets; get back to me when Lavillenie wins 6 World Championships in a row (and Bubka's might have been 8 in a row, had there been every-2-year WC at the beginning of his career).
              Yeah, 'fraid SB has the GOAT thing locked up for a long time to come . . . Warmerdam held it for a long time too.

              Comment


              • #8
                Lavillenie is still quite young. It will be many years before we can even begin to compare the two in terms of GOAT. If Lavillenie stays healthy (and so far he has had pretty good luck in that department) he has shown that he can consistently jump high in a lot of meets annually, and that he LOVES competing.

                I know he has had a handful of injuries, but so far they seem to be mostly things like pole breaks or his weird accident after he set the WR last year. Not the nagging stuff that will suck the life out of a career like bad hamstrings.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Powell View Post
                  If you count ancillary vaults, it's still 36. By my count, it's 46 actual 6 meter clearances (in 44 competitions) for Bubka and 10 (in 8 competitions) for Lavillenie.
                  It's very possible I miscounted...

                  gh and Atticus: it's true RL is kinda too old for the 6-Worlds-in-a-row, but as polevaultpower said, he's still got a good 6 years ahead of him to impress so... He might make it to 3 Oly gold in a row....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tamabi View Post
                    He might make it to 3 Oly gold in a row....
                    Tough row to hoe. But more power to him if he does! :-)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Whimsical trivia question:

                      Who is the founding and most grateful member of the " Thank You, Sergei ! " Fan Club ?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        Yeah, 'fraid SB has the GOAT thing locked up for a long time to come . . . Warmerdam held it for a long time too.
                        Both Bubka and Warmerdam took the event to a whole new level, one that other jumpers took ages to reach (no one ever reached Warmerdam's level on bamboo poles...) Even if Lavillenie does jump 6.00 another 36 times and wins every major outdoor and indoor meet until 2020, Bubka and Warmerdam will still have better claims to be GOAT.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It might also take more than one world record. Beating Bubka's world record is very impressive, that said, Bubka raised it some 35 times.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                            Lavillenie is still quite young.
                            He'll be 29 this year, I'm not sure that can be considered 'quite young'. And even if you compare him to Bubka at the same age, he's still well behind (19 6-meter clearances for SB before 28th birthday vs 9 for RL).
                            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                              Whimsical trivia question:

                              Who is the founding and most grateful member of the " Thank You, Sergei ! " Fan Club ?
                              C'mon, somebody ought to be able to answer this one !

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X