Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since 7 lefts is 14 steps, probably 90' out from the box, that is not 'short-approach' by any means. While her 'full approach' may be 9 lefts, she has jumped from a 5-left, which is a short approach. On the other hand, 5m is definitely in the cards from a full approach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave View Post
      It means that she took a much shorter run than normal. This is typically a sign that this is very early in her season.

"seven lefts" means she took seven complete steps which is much shorter than a normal world class vaulter would take at the later stage of the season. The implication is that she has much more in her at the moment.
      Thanks!
      In the 53 years I've been involved in this sport, including reading every single issue of T&FN since 1957, I've NEVER seen or heard that term used before!!

LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by aaronk View Post
        I've NEVER seen or heard that term used before!!
        Seems odd since it's used in all the jumps - it's called 'rights' for a right-footed jumper - to indicate how many times the jump-foot will strike the ground after the approach is initiated.

Comment

• Jumping high from a short run doesn't always correlate to jumping any higher from a long run, so I think T&FN usually leaves that sort of info out of their reporting.

Comment

• Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
            Jumping high from a short run doesn't always correlate to jumping any higher from a long run, so I think T&FN usually leaves that sort of info out of their reporting.
            Good point. I've seen athletes jumping from 5-lefts in a championship meet, cuz they simply can't handle the speed of a longer approach. All things equal, longer is better, but a max of 9 lefts is all that 98% of jumpers can handle.

My LJ/TJers bound 2Ls into a mark for 7-lefts, which gives them speed plus accuracy. My PVers almost all go from 7; HJers 1L-bound into a 5.
            Last edited by Atticus; 05-25-2015, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post

Unknown meet: Jenn Suhr 4.81WL, Janice Keppler 4.26
              Although I have not seen the full results yet, this meet was apparently called the Monroe County Elite Vault, held in Churchville NY (which could be, literally, in Jenn's backyard).

Comment

• So is it official/legal?

You can't have a WL if the "meet" wasn't a meet!!

Comment

• Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                  So is it official/legal?

You can't have a WL if the "meet" wasn't a meet!!
                  According to the USATF Calendar, it is a USATF Sanctioned Event. If it was a bona fide competition with qualified officials and facilities and equipment that conform to the rules, then it would be considered a valid performance.

Comment

• Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
                    According to the USATF Calendar, it is a USATF Sanctioned Event. If it was a bona fide competition with qualified officials and facilities and equipment that conform to the rules, then it would be considered a valid performance.
                    Not on the IAAF's list yet.

Comment

• And whether it counts for a WB mark, it certainly makes it clear that Ms. Suhr is ready to compete this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
                        even more importantly, T&FN considers it a meet!

Comment

• I don't think the IAAF checks every performance for conformity anyway, isn't it just a statistician collecting results and putting them in the lists? They got 5.74m for Carlo Paech in the IAAF world lists, and that was achieved on a setup that didn't not conform to the rules. And since WL isn't something official, there are no forms to fill out etc.

Comment

• Rick knows every little in and out of IAAF-compliance. I don't know all of the details of the meet yet, but knowing Rick, I feel very confident that it was all legit.

Comment

• Lavillenie has cleared 6.05 at Pre already and is going for a WR of 6.16.

Comment

• 6.05 it is. Pretty good for a first outdoor meet of the year!
                                That third 6.16 attempt was interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X