Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emma Coburn AR non-ratification in the Steeple

Story on front page. Ugh! It's a shame, but here's hoping she gets the AR (again) this year . . . and is properly drug tested. Two thoughts;

1. It once again shows that athletes, even at the highest level, don't necessarily know the rules and regulations they are to comply with. Ignorance in this case cost her the AR. Another reason to surround oneself with trusted agents/friends/counselors who know the lay of the land.

2. Another reason we need to keep people such as Bob Hersh in positions of trust and influence. As soon as the article quoted him, I knew there was adult supervision.

She seemed to take it with an even keel, and I look forward to seeing her on the podium in Beijing. Go Emma!

Screw USATF and their "rules"

They're the same "organization" that took 9 months to decide that Andy Bumbalough's NON-contact at the indoor meet had indeed been a NON-contact!!

They're the same "organization" that allowed Alberto Salazar to act like a CHILD at their meet, and then SURRENDER to Salazar's TANTRUM!

They're the same "organization" that IGNORED a 340 to 70 (Forgot the actual numbers, but that's close!) DEMOCRATIC vote, and then had their DICTATORS vote 13 to 1 to reverse the PEOPLE'S VOTE!!

So SCREW USATF!!

My blog and my Record Book will continue to carry Emma's time of 9:11.42 as THE American Record!!
    Last edited by aaronk; 02-05-2015, 06:26 PM.

Comment

This is old news, FloTrack is just late to the party. I reported on it almost two months ago on Facebook, and there was also a discussion on Letsrun at the time: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628...9859808435216/

The FloTrack article is inaccurate. The record was not "rejected immediately". No record is ratified until the Annual Meeting in December. Her record was #1 in a stack of records, and at that time, it was not ratified.

This is what you pay agents for, to make sure things like this are taken care of. I believe she does not have an agent, but I am sure that Wetmore is familiar with the rule, maybe he just forgot at the time or maybe there was a miscommunication.

That's sort of the price you pay for not having an agent. If you're not going to pay someone to know all of the rules for you, you have to learn all of the rules yourself. This isn't particularly obscure, it is mentioned on the record application form: http://www.usatf.org/usatf/files/00/...195144d76f.pdf and on this page: http://www.usatf.org/About/Anti-Dopi...an-Record.aspx

It sucks, but I think the rule is a good rule. It really sucks that she didn't know about it. We all know she has the "real" American record, just like Jeff Hartwig has the "real" American indoor pole vault record, no one ever told him he had to submit an application to get his mark ratified until it was way too late...

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
        Screw USATF and their "rules"

They're the same "organization" that took 9 months to decide that Andy Bumbalough's NON-contact at the indoor meet had indeed been a NON-contact!!

They're the same "organization" that allowed Alberto Salazar to act like a CHILD at their meet, and then SURRENDER to Salazar's TANTRUM!

They're the same "organization" that IGNORED a 340 to 70 (Forgot the actual numbers, but that's close!) DEMOCRATIC vote, and then had their DICTATORS vote 13 to 1 to reverse the PEOPLE'S VOTE!!

So SCREW USATF!!

My blog and my Record Book will continue to carry Emma's time of 9:11.42 as THE American Record!!
        Yeah...let's just screw all the drug controls. Good idea.

Comment

All those who believe Emma Coburn is a CRIMINAL, and should be PENALIZED, please raise your hand!

I'm waiting!

Comment

She is not being penalized, she didn't do what everyone has to do to get one of the "real" American records. If Gatlin broke the American record in the 100, heck yeah we would want him tested...

It's not that anyone thinks she was cheating, but rules need to be applied consistently.

Comment

All those who believe Emma Coburn is a CRIMINAL, and should be PENALIZED, please raise your hand!

I'm waiting!
              Silly hysterical baby outburst about believing EC a "criminal". Of course what went wrong was that some rule for ratification was not adhered to; fancy having rules... tut tut.!!

Comment

There seem to be one too many "should haves" involved here.
                As in....
                Emma should have known the rules.
                Emma should have had an agent or other representative inform her of the rules, or made sure they were followed.

IMHO, these "should haves", in Emma's particular case, have flaws.

1. Based on what I've read & heard, she does NOT have an agent.
                2. As an individual ATHLETE, she is paid to perform AS AN ATHLETE, not as a LAWYER!
                This was a Diamond League meet, sanctioned by the IAAF. They should have made sure she was tested.

These meets (not always DL's) see many National Records!
                Most are by athletes from countries other than the US.
                Are we certain that ALL of these "NR"s have been made official by drug tests AT the meet involved?
                Doesn't matter how insignificant the record, or how known or unknown the athlete might be!

It's blatantly clear Emma Coburn did not cheat!
                This is one time that this rule should NOT be enforced!
                (Think driving laws that are broken by 100's, but only a handful get the tickets!! NOT fair!)

Comment

Not all countries require drug testing for record ratification (most don't) and it is not the meet organizer's responsibility to know if a particular athlete needs a drug test.

Comment

(Think driving laws that are broken by 100's, but only a handful get the tickets!! NOT fair!)
                    Yeah, let's selectively ignore the rules, that will get us to a better place...

Comment

the nicety that aaronk is missing is that one needs to consider the previous record holder. While it's a shame that Coburn runs afoul of (much-needed) rules, to give her or anybody else in the same situation—is to be equally unfair to the previous record holder. If you were the record holder and had been required to pass a test, wouldn't you want the same standards applied to whomever replaces you? Seems only fair to me.

Comment

I understand what you're saying, GH---even if I still insist that Emma remain the AR holder.
                        Being on Twitter a lot, I've been waiting to see if Jenny Simpson (who tweets sometimes) has anything to say about this.
                        They're close friends and training partners, not to mention Jenny being the former record holder.
                        I can't say for sure, obviously, but I would think she won't deny Emma's ownership of the record!

Anyway, as several on Twitter have said, Emma will almost certainly break the record again this year---maybe more than once or twice!
                        BTW, there's a hashtag going now---#SupportEmmaCoburn---NOT started by me!

Comment

There seem to be one too many "should haves" involved here.
                          As in....
                          Emma should have known the rules.
                          Emma should have had an agent or other representative inform her of the rules, or made sure they were followed.

IMHO, these "should haves", in Emma's particular case, have flaws.

1. Based on what I've read & heard, she does NOT have an agent.
                          2. As an individual ATHLETE, she is paid to perform AS AN ATHLETE, not as a LAWYER!
                          This was a Diamond League meet, sanctioned by the IAAF. They should have made sure she was tested.

These meets (not always DL's) see many National Records!
                          Most are by athletes from countries other than the US.
                          Are we certain that ALL of these "NR"s have been made official by drug tests AT the meet involved?
                          Doesn't matter how insignificant the record, or how known or unknown the athlete might be!

You've got to be kidding. Were you stomping your feet when you posted this?

Comment

One more strike against Twitter.

Comment

And if this is a big issue, note that the still-current record holder is none other than Coburn's training partner -- do you think that they are losing a lot of sleep over this? I would guess that her shoe contract probably even paid her the bonus that is likely linked to it. Especially given the rate of decline in her times this year and that the WCs is likely to be a bit of a fast race, I doubt it will last through the WCs.

Comment

Working...
                              X