Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worlds Ticketing Process Begins

The Beijing LOC finally has ticket ordering info on their website: http://www.iaafbeijing2015.com/14/08...Q00050FM1.html

1) There are no all-session tickets. All tickets for all sessions must be ordered individually, though there is a cryptic phrase which indicates package ticket reservations are not available during the first phase of the lottery. I have no idea what this means. Are they setting aside better seats for later all-session purchases or would such seats be worse? Who sells season seats after individual seats? Or maybe they mean there are no all-session packages in any phase? Confusing.
    2) The order process consists of two parts: One submits an application which enters one in a lottery for tickets; applications end April 30, after which applicants receive an email with seat locations and the right to purchase within a certain time frame.
    3) Purchaser is NOT allowed to select section or seat. One can simply order within 3 price categories. Given the allocation of the costliest tickets (see below), I fear the Chinese idea of good seating may not be the same as mine and I fear winding up above the sprint start line.
    4) The priciest tickets will not include finish line seating which is reserved for "accredited/occupied and reserved seats" whatever that means.
    5) The most expensive seats could land you in row 1 over by the pole vault, since the bottom seating around the bowl is considered price category A. As I see it, there is no good seating available at the top price level.
    6) Price levels B and C basically wrap around most of the bowl, except on the homestretch where there is no B or C seating.
    7) At the current rate of 6.25 yuan/$, an A seat for all sessions costs $600, a B seat is $418 and a "C" seat is $224, pricing that's quite above the last two worlds, at least for the middle range tickets.

For whatever reason, I could not get the forms to load on Firefox, but they loaded just fine on Chrome or Explorer. I had to hand write my form since the color of the font for entering one's own info was too light and some boxes that needed to be checked weren't checkable. The form also requires a signature, thus a download, print, fill out, scan, return and hope they're equipped to open a PDF.

All in all, very disappointing. One can only hope to be able to move around at will. If I hadn't already paid for airfare and a non-refundable hotel room, I'd seriously considering blowing the whole thing off and watching from home.
    Last edited by gh; 03-07-2015, 02:21 PM. Reason: Revise lottery end date

Thanks for the breakdown as it was helpful. Just to note, the lottery reservations close on March 30th.

Comment

Thanks, ATK. I have edited the above post to correct the lottery end date.

Comment

And now I have edited the closing date back to April 30. As best I can tell, when I originally posted, the date was April 30, then it changed to March 30, and now it's back to April 30. After one submits the initial application, they send a confirmation email indicating the application is in the system:

Thanks for your interest in IAAF World Championships Beijing 2015.

We have received your ticket reservation order and we have registered your ticketing demands in our reservation system. The statistics of ticketing reservation order is processing presently, please await patiently.

Meanwhile, please pay attention the updated information on official website

Official website: www.iaafbeijing2015.com

Thanks for your understanding and please keep in touch with us.

Best regards,
        Ticketing department
        Organizing Committee of IAAF World Championships Beijing 201
        Last edited by bruce3404; 02-21-2015, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Glad I'm staying home. On a brighter side, I got tickets online easily for St. Denis and Monaco DL meets, and for the USATF meet on the phone. (The online system assigned "best" seats in row 2; no, thanks.)

In between St. Denis and Monaco, planning on Laussane, tickets for which go on sale March 26.
          Cheers,
          Alan Shank
          Woodland, CA

Comment

Funny how the online systems work. I got the same low row assignment for the NCAA Indoors and it involved a call to the ticketing office in order to select seats. I can't think of any sport where I'd want to sit in the front row, unless I was sitting next to Jack at a Lakers game. The Berlin ticketing is still the Gold Standard for IAAF WC meets. Too bad the IAAF doesn't insist that local organizers always follow that same model.
            Last edited by bruce3404; 02-21-2015, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Beijing All Session Update

Both a friend in Japan and I received this from the Beijing ticketing folks regarding all-session tickets. Apparently they will be available, but one won't be able to choose "exact" seat locations. Ultimately, I guess this means one gets the same seat for all sessions:

Thanks for your mail and sorry to delay for replying.

The sales policy of package-ticket reservation will be approved in the following days, at present, you can fill in the ticket reservation form and choose all the sessions to reserve the tickets, we know you want to buy package-ticket, so we will inform you in the next phase.

In terms of second phase of general public ticket sale, we also inform you as soon as possible

The seat plan of this competition will be distributed randomly, so you can not choose exact seat.

Please fill the ticket reservation order form (choose all the sessions, quantity of tickets, which category. etc) and send it to us.

we will register your ticket demands at first and inform you the sales policy later.

Comment

Originally posted by bruce3404 View Post
                The Berlin ticketing is still the Gold Standard for IAAF WC meets. Too bad the IAAF doesn't insist that local organizers always follow that same model.
                Except that their website kept crashing and crashing, while locals were getting the best seats via the phone.
                Cheers,
                Alan Shank
                Woodland, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
                  Except that their website kept crashing and crashing, while locals were getting the best seats via the phone.
                  Cheers,
                  Alan Shank
                  Woodland, CA
                  I guess I was lucky and had a good experience. Wasn't aware of any crashing issues. I was OK with the Daegu model as well. GA meant the early birds got the best seats within their categories and who doesn't want to show up a bit early and talk T&F with fans who care enough to show up early?

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
                    Cheers,
                    Alan Shank
                    Woodland, CA
                    Cause you did it the hard way, next time you want tickets for Berlin, let me know and i'll pick them up for you. ;-)

Comment

Geez advertising cover is huge, IAAF is so pathetic.

http://img4.cache.netease.com/sports...fbeijingEn.jpg

Given how many spectators are there at World Challenge meeting in the last few years, Beijing has the potential to fill the stadium.

Comment

Which, of course, explains why the advertising cover is so huge. Same situation in Daegu and Moscow. What's really unfortunate is that they should be closing other sections and saving prime homestretch and backstretch tickets for ticket buyers, but that wouldn't look very good on TV when runners enter the curves and no one is sitting there. While they've tried to create the illusion of terrific demand with a lottery system, it'll be interesting to see if they have to pad the house as was done in Daegu and Moscow. If so, at least we won't be subject to a bunch of boorish football louts as seemed to be the case in Russia.

Comment

Alternate trip

In the meantime, my wife and I have purchased tickets for St. Denis, Laussane and Monaco, our "Beijing Substitute" trip to Europe. We've got our air, too, so we're committed.

Nice to see the front-page article about Bolt and Lavillenie both scheduled for Laussane. Maybe they will both show up, too.
                          Cheers,
                          Alan Shank
                          Woodland, CA

Comment

Dunno if it was just a coincidence but last night I looked up the ticket site and opened that ticket Word document and a few hours later I got an email from my corporate IT to reset my web mail (which I always access from that PC) password since an IP address in China was attempting to log in to it.

Just to be safe, you might want to run your malware software after browsing for tickets.

Comment

That is very scary.

Comment

Working...
                              X