Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashton Eaton is a ninja.

He tweeted a picture of what it looks like behind the wall he toppled over at Millrose yesterday.

https://twitter.com/AshtonJEaton/sta...483392/photo/1

For those who don't know what I'm referring to, USATF posted a video of the race (60m hurdles).

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153054454704618

His career could have been over just like that. Falling from more than 12 feet doesn't always end well. Hopefully the relevant people got the message and will install a taller barrier next time.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 02-15-2015, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Super insane. My husband and I watched that video a dozen times last night.

Comment

Any reports of his condition?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
          Any reports of his condition?
          Unscathed. He bounced out from behind the wall and celebrated his PR with his wife.

Comment

After he fell, there was no sign of him for about 20 seconds, and the crowd went silent. Then he reappeared and ran across the infield.

He tried to make it look like nothing happened to him, but I'll bet he spent today (privately) icing his bumps and bruises and swallowing a few painkillers. Unless he actually landed on his feet ninja-style.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
              Hopefully the relevant people got the message and will install a taller barrier next time.
              Scary fall, but over several decades of thousands of indoor 50 and 60 yd/meter sprinters,hurdlers ending against a padded wall, in dozens and dozens of venues, how many athletes have gone OVER the wall? Looks like he tried to be cute and stick a seated landing on top of it. Lucky.

Comment

I saw it live. Damned scary and a hush fell over the crowd; fortunate that he bounced back up onto the track almost instantly with a big smile on his face. My guess is that his feet flew into the weight throw cage fence and he pinballed between the two barriers, landing feet first. He's a very lucky guy.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                  Looks like he tried to be cute and stick a seated landing on top of it. Lucky.
                  My exact impression.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                    Scary fall, but over several decades of thousands of indoor 50 and 60 yd/meter sprinters,hurdlers ending against a padded wall, in dozens and dozens of venues, how many athletes have gone OVER the wall? Looks like he tried to be cute and stick a seated landing on top of it. Lucky.
                    The padded wall isn't the same height everywhere. For example, this wall at last year's World Indoor 60m final looks at least 2 or 3 feet taller than at Millrose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK92pR4hQG0

Comment

He said he landed on his feet. Someone reported hearing him hit the fence first. Even feet first, I'm sure he is sore today. He's lucky to be alive. It's a fun video to watch knowing he is OK...

Comment

It was dramatic and made for great TV. I loved it!

Comment

The other thing I noticed was that if he had had another 50 meters, he likely would have kept accelerating.

Should be another great year for Mr. Eaton.

Comment

Working...
                          X