Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200m

no offense to Kenteris or any other world class 200 runner, but am I the only one who has a tough time getting hype about low 20 point times?

it's kind of tough when you've seen MJ run on TV, or in person like I had the privelage of.

just wondering if I'm the only one who feels this way?

Re: 200m

Just because Beethoven doesn't write symphonies anymore, doesn't mean you have to quit listening to the music of the moment and enjoying it.

Comment

There is a new young Mozart named Usain Bolt: if we have patience and his physique will stand, we 'll listen fantastic symphonies.

Comment

GH: But it also doesn't mean we should pretend that today's music is automatically "equal to" Mozart, Beethoven, etc. Comparisons--however subjective--are inevitable.

Comment

i'll always have loads of respect and will love to watch a 20.1 or better, but when you've already seen someone run 19.89 easing up at the finish, it really put things in perspective.

Comment

Capel, Gatlin, Crawford, and Patton all will run 19 in sacramento. But only three will make the team. Don't expect them to run like Mike.

I know this is the wrong forum, but if you want to question someone's performances, then Marion, Maurice, AND Flo Jo have nothing on him.

What Mike did was superhuman and can't be compared to anyone else.

I'm not making accusations. All I'm saying is that there is no comparison.

Comment

I think that you should appreciate MJ for what a vanishly rare talent he was, and enjoy the efforts of modern sprinters, some of whom actually aspire someday to match MJ's feats.

If you need the inspiration of watching the fastest 200/400 sprinter in the history of the planet, why not think about guys who may be the fastest someday, guys like Bolt and Wariner. They are both so young and so good, there's little doubt that the potential to be the next MJ is there.

Enjoy watching these and other fantastic talents as they grow and mature as competitors. I get as much enjoyment out of T&F from my imagination as from the performances on any given day. For those who will one day be the next great ones, that imagination is one of the fundamental traits that they must carry in order to succeed at that rare level.

Sure, I was as thrilled and blown away by Michael Johnson's sheer brilliance as the next guy was, but can you imagine the excitement when someone comes along and takes Michael place at pinnacle of those distances? It will feel just as amazing on that day as the day MJ ran 19.32 in Atlanta.

Comment

"But it also doesn't mean we should pretend that today's music is automatically "equal to" Mozart"

ah, but then again, some of today's music is just as popular as Mozart's in his time. The Beatles' influence and productivity are the equal of Mozart. To believe anything else is to ignore the facts.

I am just as happy watching today's stars as I was the CL's and MJ's of the past.

Comment

Working...
                X