Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre-USATF Indoor thread

With less than 5 full days until the first day of the USATF INdoor Championships, I thought I'd start this thread to talk---in general terms---about the meet, the events, the athletes, or whatever you want about the meet.

For me, I'm most looking forward to the Two Mile races!
    We don't see those in Championship meets---in the Nationals, probably not since the 50's or even the 40's!

After that, I'll be interested to see who's racing the "odd distance" events (besides the Two Mile, that is!), the 300, 600, and 1000.

Looking at the current entry lists, only Alysia Montano is declared for the 600.
    Great! Her 1:23.59 was a fantastic run!
    And she appears to be getting in shape, as she ran the 400 in 53.86 in Seattle, then ran a leg on a pick-up 4X400 team (with Geena Lara and Phoebe Wright 2 of the others!).

I'm disappointed Sandi Morris and Lexi Weeks aren't invited.
    They should be.
    Demi Payne is invited, so Morris should be too.
    And it would be great to have a few top HS'ers in the meet.
    With Lexi's HSR, she'd be a top candidate.
    So would Sydney McLaughlin, Grant Fisher, Kamryn McIntosh (HSR in the 600 recently!), and others.

Finally, with the meet in Boston instead of at altitude, it might make for some fast distance races!

ADD: Will Ashton Eaton be doing the Hept?
    Is Georgeanne Moline going to run the 600---She recently ran 1:27.15!--?
    Why isn't Mary Cain listed---even as a qualified athlete?
    (I doubt she'll run----health reasons!)
    I see Alexa Efraimson is Q'ed for the 1000----off her recent 2:43.39 in Seattle!
    Last edited by aaronk; 02-22-2015, 09:05 PM.

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    I'm disappointed Sandi Morris and Lexi Weeks aren't invited.
    That's not how it works.

Comment

Yea, I think Sandi Morris has a little meet called the SEC. Anyone who has the qualifying standard can compete (as long as they pay the fees & travel & hotel...)

Comment

Morris has her conference meet, a conflict that does not affect Payne (conference is earlier, I think).

I think that the best Men's Weight competitor (top six throws in the world?) will not be at USATF because he has his conference meet followed by NCAAs. This last weekend he again broke the Collegiate Record; here is his series which broke his prior CR of 24.47 four times (and missed by an inch the other time and had a sector foul that looked to be about 25m). He now has the six (or 7 or 8) longest collegiate (DI, Kibwe still holds the overall record at 25.06m).

24.87m 24.91m 24.64m FOUL 24.44m 24.61m
        Last edited by 26mi235; 02-22-2015, 09:32 PM.

Comment

ADD: Will Ashton Eaton be doing the Hept?
          Is Georgeanne Moline going to run the 600---She recently ran 1:27.15!--?
          Why isn't Mary Cain listed---even as a qualified athlete?
          It appears that none of those three have entered the meet (which would explain why Cain isn't listed).

Comment

very thin fields both at the top and depth wise.

Comment

Originally posted by tm71 View Post
              very thin fields both at the top and depth wise.
              Not so much!
              Here's the key DECLARED entrants....so far (as picked by me!):

Men
              60--Ryan Bailey, Trell Kimmons, Marvin Bracy, Joe Morris
              300--Manteo Mitchell, Aldrich Bailey
              600--Brycen Spratling, Casimir Loxsom, Mark Wieczorek, Eric Sowinski
              1000--Cory Leslie, Kyle Merber, Harun Abda, Robby Andrews, Michael Rutt
              1 Mile--Matthew Centrowitz, Ben Blankenship, Pat Casey, Leo Manzano, Riley Masters, Cory Leslie
              2 Mile--Garrett Heath, German Fernandez, Ben Blankenship, Ryan Hill, Chris Derrick, Evan Jager
              2 Mile Walk--John Nunn (Trevor Barron on list, but hasn't declared yet.)
              60H--Aleec Harris, Jeff Porter, Jarret Eaton
              HJ--Jesse Williams, Eric Kynard, Nick Ross, Ricky Robertson, James Harris
              LJ--Will Claye
              TJ--Will Claye, Omar Craddock, Chris Carter
              PV--Sam Kendricks, Jack Whitt, Jordan Scott, Deakin Volz
              SP--Chris Cantwell
              WT--JC Lambert, AG Kruger, Kibwe Johnson
              Hept--Jeremy Taiwo

Women
              60--Tianna Bartoletta, Sholanda Solomon, Miki Barber, Tiffany Townsend
              300--Natasha Hastings, Jessica Beard
              600--Alysia Montano, Bethany Praska, Ajee Wilson, LaTavia Thomas, Phoebe Wright
              1000--Stephanie Charnigo, Lauren Wallace, Geena Lara, Treniere Moser, Stephanie Brown, Alexa Efraimson, Emily Lipari, Charlene Lipsey
              1 Mile--Nicole Tully, Shannon Rowbury, Stephanie Charnigo, Jordan Hasay, Morgan Uceny, Rachel Schneider, Katie Mackey
              2 Mile--Brie Felnagle, Liz Costello, Marielle Hall, Nicol Traynor, Katie Matthews, Jordan Hasay, Nicole Tully, Shannon Rowbury
              2 Mile Walk--Maria Michta-Coffey, Miranda Melville, Erin Gray
              60H--Jasmine Stowers, Kristi Castlin
              HJ--Chaunte Lowe, Amy Acuff
              LJ--Funmi Jimoh
              TJ--Amanda Smock, Blessing Ufoliama
              PV--Demi Payne, Melissa Gergel, Mary Saxer, Jenn Suhr, April Bennett
              SP--Michelle Carter, Brittany Smith, Jeneva McCall, Felicia Johnson, Becky O'Brien
              WT--Jeneva McCall, Felicia Johnson, Amber Campbell, Dani Bunch, Amanda Bingson
              Pent--Barbara Nwaba, Sharon Day-Monroe, Kiani Profit

Others might declare (or scratch!!) before the deadline.
              Note some are listed as doublers---and who knows if they'll run both!
              Last edited by aaronk; 02-24-2015, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Note that two athletes NOT entered this year are the two who got DQ'ed last year, setting off that HUGE controversy.
                Gabe Grunewald and Andy Bumbalough are M.I.A. this year.

Intentional, or.....??

Comment

Jenn Suhr tweeted earlier today to the effect that she probably would not compete.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                    Jenn Suhr tweeted earlier today to the effect that she probably would not compete.
                    Old old story----meaning of athletes not competing at Nationals---and not giving a reason!
                    I think there should be a rule that any athlete who's eligible, and who isn't injured, pregnant, sick, or has some other truly valid excuse, should have to compete, or not be allowed to compete on any National team that entire year.

I realize many athletes consider INdoor Nationals not important, but these are the NATIONALS--and whether they're INdoors or OUTdoors, National PRIDE should be enough reason to take part!

Comment

O....Kayyyy

Comment

I think there should be a rule that any athlete who's eligible, and who isn't injured, pregnant, sick, or has some other truly valid excuse, should have to compete, or not be allowed to compete on any National team that entire year.
                        No, no....that was on the OTHER side of the Berlin Wall.

Comment

Jenn missed a meet earlier due to an injury, so she is most likely skipping Indoors for the same reason.

The prize money at indoors has increased, for most American athletes, especially field event athletes, this is about as good as it gets indoors for money.

Comment

Old old story----meaning of athletes not competing at Nationals---and not giving a reason!

I realize many athletes consider INdoor Nationals not important, but these are the NATIONALS--and whether they're INdoors or OUTdoors, National PRIDE should be enough reason to take part!
                            Sounds good Aaronk. So do you volunteer to pay the flights and accommodation etc for an athlete from Hawaii or Alaska (or even the West Coast) to compete in Boston? Not exactly a cheap exercise. If USTAF pays everything then maybe your position has a little bit of merit.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                              No, no....that was on the OTHER side of the Berlin Wall.
                              Aaronk may not be aware the wall came down.

Comment

Working...
                              X