Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
    Sounds good Aaronk. So do you volunteer to pay the flights and accommodation etc for an athlete from Hawaii or Alaska (or even the West Coast) to compete in Boston? Not exactly a cheap exercise. If USTAF pays everything then maybe your position has a little bit of merit.
    But what you say doesn't account for all the US athletes who fly to Europe, Japan, Australia/NZ for 1 or 2 meets or races.
    And the girl who won the 3200 at the Simplot Games was from Australia!
    I think----not sure!----she flew here for just that one meet!!

Comment

While these athletes all call themselves professionals the reality is that the great majority struggle to make ends meet and so they pick and choose carefully where and when they compete. Ryan Whiting is in New Zealand because he was paid to come and he got to enjoy the NZ summer - although after tonight in Christchurch he is probably wondering if this is summer, then thank God he didn't come in the winter. Whiting this evening threw 21.03m to beat Walsh at 19.99m in 13 degrees C (55 F) with 34 kph winds.

Telling everyone you are a professional sounds good and gives one an ego boost to say it - I know from experience with the ITA a few thousand years ago - but except for perhaps Bolt track and field professionals cant afford to buy the mansions and Ferraris like MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL and EPL players.

I don't know the answer to this but is there prize money at the US Nationals? Do they pay the airfares and accommodation for athletes?

And also why support the USTAF nationals when it is run by Hightower and her cronies?

Comment

And also why support the USTAF nationals when it is run by Hightower and her cronies?
        I SEE THE LIGHT!!!
        You've altered my entire reality, Tuariki!!
        And you know, now I'm beginning to wonder if SOME of these "no-shows" might be due--at least in part---to what you said!

This is NOT USATF's finest hour!!

Comment

You are so correct about the that. US athletes are clearly being made to suffer under the majesterial reign of her royal poohba-ness the Empress Dowager Stephanie Hijinks.

And by the way, I always love the emotive passion you bring to the board, and the fact that you never get bent out of shape with those who disagree with you - unlike one or two of our fellow posters.
          Last edited by Tuariki; 02-25-2015, 09:51 AM.

Comment

aaronk -- perhaps no need to add another "yikes" to your earlier suggestion, but I think that would be a terrible idea, not that it could ever happen. What I would like to see -- not that it would ever happen either -- would be for the meet to be 'incentivized' better. Prize money is $5000, $3000, $1250, $750. That money probably would incentivize me, but I think it isn't sufficient. And while I would like to think the fact of a USA championship could be incentive, too -- I think it is, for some -- it isn't, by itself. And, as Tuariki says just above -- and many are saying in other threads -- I wouldn't want to confer any more power to anyone in the so-called leadership of USATF. Ugh.

But these discussion points don't matter much, to me. Like you, I really love indoor track -- at least as much, perhaps more -- than the 'superior' outdoor competitions. Something about the indoor environment, especially when well-staged, that for me is really exciting. So, I will enjoy the meet with whomever shows up, and be glad for whomever earns what prizes there are.

Appreciate your enthusiasm for the sport!

Comment

I think that if you look at the results of the past few even-numbered year USATF indoor championships (when there are no World Indoor Championships), you'll see that the fields have been generally quite weak. This year's meet may be a bit weaker than the ones in Albuquerque because of the horrible winter that Boston has been experiencing.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                I think that if you look at the results of the past few even-numbered year USATF indoor championships (when there are no World Indoor Championships), you'll see that the fields have been generally quite weak. This year's meet may be a bit weaker than the ones in Albuquerque because of the horrible winter that Boston has been experiencing.
                More power to those that show. A National Championship title (or even top-8 finish) is a life-time achievement. No one asks who did or didn't show. One of favorite childhood memories is when I was 8-years old and accompanied my mom to the Connecticut State Archery Championships. It was a cold rainy day and only two other women showed up and my mom won. That medal is still in my proud possession.

Comment

As the loser in an election says....
                  Hey, we finished a close 2nd.....in a field of 2.
                  LOL

Comment

start lists are expected to be ready early Thursday evening

Comment

Sounds good Aaronk. So do you volunteer to pay the flights and accommodation etc for an athlete from Hawaii or Alaska (or even the West Coast) to compete in Boston? Not exactly a cheap exercise. If USTAF pays everything then maybe your position has a little bit of merit.
                      Actually USATF does pay travel for the top athletes to attend: http://www.usatf.org/Events---Calend...l-Funding.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                        Actually USATF does pay travel for the top athletes to attend
                        Yes, the ones who CAN better afford it . . . leaving the struggling national-class ones . . . struggling.

Comment

While this should be the subject of a different thread, what it comes down to is that there are different CLASSES of Professional T&F athletes.
                          Let me see if I can define them for us!

First Class:
                          Obviously, the WR, AR, CR, and HSR holders, as well as OG, WC, CG & EC medalists.

Business Class: This would include all Top Ten rated athletes, using T&FN's rankings, both for the World and US. (This could extend to the Top 20 in certain events!)

Coach Class: All the hard working wannabes, comebackers, dreamers & all those who just don't want to work at Taco Bell or Walmart!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                            Business Class: This would include all Top Ten rated athletes, using T&FN's rankings, both for the World and US. (This could extend to the Top 20 in certain events!)
                            You might have to go a bit deeper in the marathon, given that Kenya and Ethiopia usually have the top 1,250 marathon runners (pre-drug testing of course).

And by the way, stop picking on Taco Bell and Walmart. When I am in the USA i eat in one and shop at the other.

Comment

Wonder how much NOP athletes have left in the tank, after commuting and racing every week between Portland, NYC, Boston, England?

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                                While this should be the subject of a different thread, what it comes down to is that there are different CLASSES of Professional T&F athletes.
                                Let me see if I can define them for us!

First Class:
                                Obviously, the WR, AR, CR, and HSR holders, as well as OG, WC, CG & EC medalists.

Coach Class: All the hard working wannabes, comebackers, dreamers & all those who just don't want to work at Taco Bell or Walmart!
                                As noted in the Sharapova/Williams thread, what class you fly, metaphorically speaking, is only tangentially related to your real-iife achievements.

Comment

Working...
                                X