Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master Po
    replied
    aaronk -- perhaps no need to add another "yikes" to your earlier suggestion, but I think that would be a terrible idea, not that it could ever happen. What I would like to see -- not that it would ever happen either -- would be for the meet to be 'incentivized' better. Prize money is $5000, $3000, $1250, $750. That money probably would incentivize me, but I think it isn't sufficient. And while I would like to think the fact of a USA championship could be incentive, too -- I think it is, for some -- it isn't, by itself. And, as Tuariki says just above -- and many are saying in other threads -- I wouldn't want to confer any more power to anyone in the so-called leadership of USATF. Ugh.

But these discussion points don't matter much, to me. Like you, I really love indoor track -- at least as much, perhaps more -- than the 'superior' outdoor competitions. Something about the indoor environment, especially when well-staged, that for me is really exciting. So, I will enjoy the meet with whomever shows up, and be glad for whomever earns what prizes there are.

Appreciate your enthusiasm for the sport!

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    You are so correct about the that. US athletes are clearly being made to suffer under the majesterial reign of her royal poohba-ness the Empress Dowager Stephanie Hijinks.

And by the way, I always love the emotive passion you bring to the board, and the fact that you never get bent out of shape with those who disagree with you - unlike one or two of our fellow posters.
    Last edited by Tuariki; 02-25-2015, 10:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

And also why support the USTAF nationals when it is run by Hightower and her cronies?
    I SEE THE LIGHT!!!
    You've altered my entire reality, Tuariki!!
    And you know, now I'm beginning to wonder if SOME of these "no-shows" might be due--at least in part---to what you said!

This is NOT USATF's finest hour!!

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    While these athletes all call themselves professionals the reality is that the great majority struggle to make ends meet and so they pick and choose carefully where and when they compete. Ryan Whiting is in New Zealand because he was paid to come and he got to enjoy the NZ summer - although after tonight in Christchurch he is probably wondering if this is summer, then thank God he didn't come in the winter. Whiting this evening threw 21.03m to beat Walsh at 19.99m in 13 degrees C (55 F) with 34 kph winds.

Telling everyone you are a professional sounds good and gives one an ego boost to say it - I know from experience with the ITA a few thousand years ago - but except for perhaps Bolt track and field professionals cant afford to buy the mansions and Ferraris like MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL and EPL players.

I don't know the answer to this but is there prize money at the US Nationals? Do they pay the airfares and accommodation for athletes?

And also why support the USTAF nationals when it is run by Hightower and her cronies?

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
    Sounds good Aaronk. So do you volunteer to pay the flights and accommodation etc for an athlete from Hawaii or Alaska (or even the West Coast) to compete in Boston? Not exactly a cheap exercise. If USTAF pays everything then maybe your position has a little bit of merit.
    But what you say doesn't account for all the US athletes who fly to Europe, Japan, Australia/NZ for 1 or 2 meets or races.
    And the girl who won the 3200 at the Simplot Games was from Australia!
    I think----not sure!----she flew here for just that one meet!!

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay View Post
    No, no....that was on the OTHER side of the Berlin Wall.
    Aaronk may not be aware the wall came down.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    Old old story----meaning of athletes not competing at Nationals---and not giving a reason!
    I think there should be a rule that any athlete who's eligible, and who isn't injured, pregnant, sick, or has some other truly valid excuse, should have to compete, or not be allowed to compete on any National team that entire year.

I realize many athletes consider INdoor Nationals not important, but these are the NATIONALS--and whether they're INdoors or OUTdoors, National PRIDE should be enough reason to take part!
    Sounds good Aaronk. So do you volunteer to pay the flights and accommodation etc for an athlete from Hawaii or Alaska (or even the West Coast) to compete in Boston? Not exactly a cheap exercise. If USTAF pays everything then maybe your position has a little bit of merit.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Jenn missed a meet earlier due to an injury, so she is most likely skipping Indoors for the same reason.

The prize money at indoors has increased, for most American athletes, especially field event athletes, this is about as good as it gets indoors for money.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    I think there should be a rule that any athlete who's eligible, and who isn't injured, pregnant, sick, or has some other truly valid excuse, should have to compete, or not be allowed to compete on any National team that entire year.
    No, no....that was on the OTHER side of the Berlin Wall.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    O....Kayyyy

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    Jenn Suhr tweeted earlier today to the effect that she probably would not compete.
    Old old story----meaning of athletes not competing at Nationals---and not giving a reason!

I realize many athletes consider INdoor Nationals not important, but these are the NATIONALS--and whether they're INdoors or OUTdoors, National PRIDE should be enough reason to take part!

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Jenn Suhr tweeted earlier today to the effect that she probably would not compete.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Note that two athletes NOT entered this year are the two who got DQ'ed last year, setting off that HUGE controversy.
    Gabe Grunewald and Andy Bumbalough are M.I.A. this year.

Intentional, or.....??

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Originally posted by tm71 View Post
    very thin fields both at the top and depth wise.
    Not so much!
    Here's the key DECLARED entrants....so far (as picked by me!):

Men
    60--Ryan Bailey, Trell Kimmons, Marvin Bracy, Joe Morris
    300--Manteo Mitchell, Aldrich Bailey
    600--Brycen Spratling, Casimir Loxsom, Mark Wieczorek, Eric Sowinski
    1000--Cory Leslie, Kyle Merber, Harun Abda, Robby Andrews, Michael Rutt
    1 Mile--Matthew Centrowitz, Ben Blankenship, Pat Casey, Leo Manzano, Riley Masters, Cory Leslie
    2 Mile--Garrett Heath, German Fernandez, Ben Blankenship, Ryan Hill, Chris Derrick, Evan Jager
    2 Mile Walk--John Nunn (Trevor Barron on list, but hasn't declared yet.)
    60H--Aleec Harris, Jeff Porter, Jarret Eaton
    HJ--Jesse Williams, Eric Kynard, Nick Ross, Ricky Robertson, James Harris
    LJ--Will Claye
    TJ--Will Claye, Omar Craddock, Chris Carter
    PV--Sam Kendricks, Jack Whitt, Jordan Scott, Deakin Volz
    SP--Chris Cantwell
    WT--JC Lambert, AG Kruger, Kibwe Johnson
    Hept--Jeremy Taiwo

Women
    60--Tianna Bartoletta, Sholanda Solomon, Miki Barber, Tiffany Townsend
    300--Natasha Hastings, Jessica Beard
    600--Alysia Montano, Bethany Praska, Ajee Wilson, LaTavia Thomas, Phoebe Wright
    1000--Stephanie Charnigo, Lauren Wallace, Geena Lara, Treniere Moser, Stephanie Brown, Alexa Efraimson, Emily Lipari, Charlene Lipsey
    1 Mile--Nicole Tully, Shannon Rowbury, Stephanie Charnigo, Jordan Hasay, Morgan Uceny, Rachel Schneider, Katie Mackey
    2 Mile--Brie Felnagle, Liz Costello, Marielle Hall, Nicol Traynor, Katie Matthews, Jordan Hasay, Nicole Tully, Shannon Rowbury
    2 Mile Walk--Maria Michta-Coffey, Miranda Melville, Erin Gray
    60H--Jasmine Stowers, Kristi Castlin
    HJ--Chaunte Lowe, Amy Acuff
    LJ--Funmi Jimoh
    TJ--Amanda Smock, Blessing Ufoliama
    PV--Demi Payne, Melissa Gergel, Mary Saxer, Jenn Suhr, April Bennett
    SP--Michelle Carter, Brittany Smith, Jeneva McCall, Felicia Johnson, Becky O'Brien
    WT--Jeneva McCall, Felicia Johnson, Amber Campbell, Dani Bunch, Amanda Bingson
    Pent--Barbara Nwaba, Sharon Day-Monroe, Kiani Profit

Others might declare (or scratch!!) before the deadline.
    Note some are listed as doublers---and who knows if they'll run both!
    Last edited by aaronk; 02-24-2015, 07:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tm71
    replied
    very thin fields both at the top and depth wise.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X