Golden West Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden West Today

As we celebrate the collegiate set today and anticipate the great summer of world-class action, the 'next' generation is lining up to fill their shoes. Although this meet has suffered a little due to the adidas meet next week, it's still a premier event. Dyestat will report at
    http://www.dyestat.com/#gwi

Re: Golden West Today

>As we celebrate the collegiate set today and anticipate the great summer of
    >world-class action, the 'next' generation is lining up to fill their shoes.
    >Although this meet has suffered a little due to the adidas meet next week, it's
    >still a premier event. Dyestat will report at
    http://www.dyestat.com/#gwi

Not trying to quibble or anything...but I disagree that the meet has suffered this year. Last year, when they were both on the same weekend, yes, but this year the fields are stellar, esp. the girls distance and the sprints.
    Considering the invitation-only format, it continues to do quite well.

Comment

The GWI is still kickin'! I love that they usually get a few better marks than the better-funded AOC.
      The finals-only format is nice too. These people have worked hard for years to keep it going. The current summer circuit of Golden South and Great Southwest, their own pressurized State meets, the Golden West, AOC "nationals",and the Natl.Junior meet really stretches a teenage kid's vacation time...plus alot of them have Sr.and Jr.dances to deal with!
      Elzie Coleman,6 of 8 Natl.field event leaders,good W800,Kaltenbach-Nelson_Follmar,Logan hurdlers Craddock & Stewart.
      God stuff at the Oly Trials track.

Comment

I just read on Dyestat.com that LB Poly would not be running the 4x100 against Dallas Skyline. That is a shame. It says that LB Poly athletes will be in individual events. The meet just lost some of it's luster!

Comment

I ran in the Golden West years ago. At that time they basically tried to get the top eight people in the country in each event. I think it's very different now.

Comment

My favorite GWI memory? George Kersh running 1.46,58 at the 1987 edition...Pyrah running 56-1.56-2.59-4.04y in same meet.

Comment

The W3200 should be a great race, and has an interesting aspect, in that Caitlin Chock did not compete for her HS this year, preferring to train and compete for herself. She has 4:25, 9:38, 16:49 (and change) marks, her 3000 about equal to Natasha LeBaud's (sp?) 10:24. I saw LeBaud run at the Sac-Joaquin section meet; she goes out very fast (too fast, IMO).

I live near Sacramento and would love to see this meet, but I'm on 24/7 call for my work and have to stay near my computer. Bummer!
              Cheers,
              Alan Shank
              Woodland, CA

Comment

Pyrah was great. I went to see him at the Missouri state meet that year, and he ran pretty much the same way: 56, 1:56, 3:00, ca. 4:04... A tough way to run that kind of time!

Comment

>The W3200 should be a great race, and has an interesting aspect, in that
                  >Caitlin Chock did not compete for her HS this year, preferring to train and
                  >compete for herself. She has 4:25, 9:38, 16:49 (and change) marks, her 3000
                  >about equal to Natasha LeBaud's (sp?) 10:24. I saw LeBaud run at the
                  >Sac-Joaquin section meet; she goes out very fast (too fast, IMO).

Wow. No rip on Flacks but Chock just took some of the luster of of Flacks' CA state HS championship:

Finals
                  1 Caitlin Chock 12 Granite Bay (Ca) 9:58.51#
                  2 Zoe Nelson 11 Flathead MT 10:23.40
                  3 Lindsay Flacks 12 Hrvd Wlk NH CA 10:24.14

Good luck to them both next year.

Comment

9:58 ! That makes her #3 all-time. How does her non-HS status affect this as a HS mark?

edit: results here
                    http://www.dyestat.com/3us/4out/goldenwest/index.htm

how bout a 4:43 girls mile?

Comment

That girls mile (4:43) was won by a junior!

Comment

Finals
                        1 Caitlin Chock 12 Granite Bay (Ca) 9:58.51#
                        >Zoe Nelson 11 Flathead MT 10:23.40
                        3 Lindsay Flacks 12 Hrvd Wlk NH CA
                        >10:24.14

Did anybody see this race? Did LeBeaud lead early? When did Chock gain most of her lead?

It seems to me that Chock had a tremendous advantage over those who ran for their schools, being able to set her own racing schedule and point for this meet, rather than doubling or tripling most of the year. Smart young woman!
                        Cheers,
                        Alan Shank

Comment

Seventh in the girls 800m was Anneliese Chapa - 2:10:47, from Oregon - 11th grader. Is this Rudy's daughter?

Also, boys mile - Bethke (11th grade) after disappointing CA state meet loss (he was ill) wins by almost three seconds - in a slowish 4:13 -he's obviously feeling better.

Comment

>Is this Rudy's daughter?

"Grant (Portland, Oregon) has famed distance runner Rudy Chapa's daughter, Annaliese, who was 17th last year in the Oregon State 4A CC Meet as a frosh last year, leading the team."

http://dyestatcal.com/news/xc2002/02092 ... review.htm

Comment

Yes, LeBeaud led early for about 2 laps (way out in front) but Chock just kept her own pace. Chock ran by herself for about the last 3 laps. She was amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X