Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standing long jump for USTAF Indoor Championship, 2017

IMO USTAF should contest standing long jump in off championships years like 2017, etc. now that NFL prospect and former University of Connecticut cornerback Byron Jones, jumped unofficial world best of 3.73 m (12 ft 23⁄4 in) at the NFL Combine on 23 February 2015.

I suggest modest $10k for winner that breaks unofficial WB. I am positive NBC will fork the money. How about this: NFL vs long jumpers (3 vs 3) with $50K purse.

Here is a Youtube of his standing long and high jumps. It is not a good angle with it is 12 feet for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0UeHxglMJ4

Didn't that used to be an Olympic event? We probably have all kinds of National and Championships records for the event! lol

Comment

I'll take a wild guess and say that all things being equal, there is not one of them that could beat ray ewry.

Comment

Ray Ewry jumped 3.47 (11' 4 1/2") to win the standing long jump in St. Louis (1904). That was a "world record" at the time.

Comment

My money's on the massive leg-press shot putters. How about Reese Hoffa? :-)

Comment

A ten inch improvement in 111 years is an indication that that 'best' mark is not remotely close to what is feasible. I wonder what someone like Barshim could do.

Comment

Interesting, i spoke once to a superbowl winner who was also an olympic medalist, he said there was fantastic athletes in the NFL but all their testing was suspect as almost everything was guestimated, hand timed, or measured in a sloppy fashion...

Comment

My Brother used to go over 13 feet in training.

And that was years ago.

Comment

At the rate the running LJ is going their marks may be at the same level in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by mal View Post
                    My Brother used to go over 13 feet in training.

And that was years ago.
                    1) I think it is quite easy for someone to bound on two feet well over 13 feet with even 1/2 stutter step. In a series, two or three such bounds one can probably get out over 20.

2) But a standing broad jump (carefully enforced as at the NFL combine) over 13 feet is an athletic outlier and we havent seen one yet. Yes that standing part is the key. If we returned the event to competition, (and the IAAF and promoters really should) Im sure we would see a 13 footer.
                    Last edited by user4; 03-02-2015, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I like this idea, especially since it doesn't take a lot of skill and neither long jumpers nor football players would have an advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo e sharkey View Post
                        Interesting, i spoke once to a superbowl winner who was also an olympic medalist, he said there was fantastic athletes in the NFL but all their testing was suspect as almost everything was guestimated, hand timed, or measured in a sloppy fashion...
                        When the Combine first started, that may have been the case, but anyone who has watched it recently knows that it's becime very precise in recent years, with all the running events being timed electronically.

Comment

Years ago I heard that Al Feuerbach had jumped 12'4" though I know with that combine performance they claimed beat the original "world record" of Arne Tvervaag with his 12-2. Obviously not an official record so the stories can vary as to who holds or held the record.

Comment

watched harold schwab do close to 11 feet in his mid 50s. not very impressed by the nfl stuff.

Comment

In 1973 in Victoria, BC, Canada at the pre-Pan Pacific meet a number of the jumpers and throwers had a standing long jump competition. About 10 of us in all - perhaps 5 of in each group. I think Jesse Stuart won with more than 10 feet. And I think the throwers beat all of us jumpers.

Comment

Working...
                              X