Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Czech 1500m man Jakub Holuša just edged out Turkey's İlham Tanui Özbilen at the tape in a thriller. The home crowd is going nuts
    Last edited by spammer; 03-08-2015, 07:41 PM.
    Bolt's last year...and my last year as a track fan, it's been fun

Comment

Originally posted by spammer View Post
      Czech 1500m man Jakub Holuša just edged out Turkey's İlham Tanui Özbilen at the tape in a thriller. The home crowd is going nuts
      Or was, 4 hours ago
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by gktrack
        WL for Shkurenyov (6353) and Abele (6279)...norunner, was the latter just 12 points shy of the GER national record (Busemann 6291? in '02). Also norunner, come summer, how are Germany's 3 WC decathletes chosen, and is Hock at any disadvantage since he's in the States til NCAA's are done?
        Yeah, Abele missed the NR by 12 points and he could have smashed it but both HJ and PV were below par.
        Hock has zero chance of being selected, once again he's getting screwed by the German federation. Only results from the competitions in Ulm, Götzis and Ratingen will be accepted, the standard is 8200 points. The winner in Ratingen will automatically be selected, provided he scores 8350 points or more. That leaves some interesting possibilities, which show how completely useless the German federation is. Let's say Abele, Schrader and Freimuth go over 8500 points in Götzis (not that unlikely) and then Behrenbruch scores 8350 points in Ratingen and wins, one 8500 points man would be left at home while Behrenbruch with an inferior result gets selected. Furthermore Hock could score 9000 points in the US and still would not be selected (unless they break their own selection criteria).

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
          Yeah, Abele missed the NR by 12 points and he could have smashed it but both HJ and PV were below par.
          Hock has zero chance of being selected, once again he's getting screwed by the German federation. Only results from the competitions in Ulm, Götzis and Ratingen will be accepted, the standard is 8200 points. The winner in Ratingen will automatically be selected, provided he scores 8350 points or more. That leaves some interesting possibilities, which show how completely useless the German federation is. Let's say Abele, Schrader and Freimuth go over 8500 points in Götzis (not that unlikely) and then Behrenbruch scores 8350 points in Ratingen and wins, one 8500 points man would be left at home while Behrenbruch with an inferior result gets selected. Furthermore Hock could score 9000 points in the US and still would not be selected (unless they break their own selection criteria).
          I may be wrong but they did break their own criteria in 2009 when Moritz Cleve was selected over Jacob Minah. Minah was speaking about some kind of lawsuit back then. Not sure how it ended but Cleve competed at WCh. Btw are they both retired?

Comment

norunner - great explanation - thanks... Makes one wonder if Hock continues to improve and has a shot at Rio, will he forgo (or redshirt?) his final year at Texas in order to have a better shot of being on the GER team...

Comment

Originally posted by Pakilo View Post
              I may be wrong but they did break their own criteria in 2009 when Moritz Cleve was selected over Jacob Minah. Minah was speaking about some kind of lawsuit back then. Not sure how it ended but Cleve competed at WCh. Btw are they both retired?
              If i remember correctly they didn't have that rule about selected venues in 2009. The problem with Cleve was, because of bad weather they had to pole vault indoors and because of that Minah suggested it was not a valid competition and Cleve's A standard should not count. The German federation thought differently, Cleve had the A standard, Minah did not, so they selected Cleve.
              Cleve retired after 2013 season, i never read an official announcement but Minah retired in 2010, at least there are no results for him after that.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                18 months or so before Rio, I'll predict.....

Gold--KJT with 7350 WR
                Silver--K Williams--7000
                Bronze--Ennis-Hill--6999
                4th--Morgan Lake--6800

And yes, I AM completely off my rocker!!
                LOL
                Lol ! This takes the gold medal for most delusional predictions even beating bolt 9.4 and 18.9 by a mile !

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
                  Don't spoil it, if Ennis doesn't get back into 6900 shape, Rio is going to be very boring, who else is there to threaten KJT? I want a fight to the end, not KJT 300 points ahead of the rest.
                  I prefer a battle to a walkover too, but it's not just about Ennis v KJT.

17 months until Rio isn't that long, but long enough for someone young & talented on the periphery of gold to improve, such as Thiam. She's probably the single biggest threat to a GBR gold in the heptathlon in Rio right now. Looking at her indoor marks, I'd say Thiam is just under 6600 form at the moment. Her 8.42 60mh PB is significant as the 100h is one of her weaker events so she should improve her 13.81 best easily. We all know she's a fantastic thrower and high jumper, so it's about improving her speed. That's hard though; you're either naturally fast or you're not, and she's never going to be a sub 23 girl, but if she can get close to 24.0 or under that would be great.

Comment

Even though English is my native language, I am curious to get some 'translation' -- or interpretation -- of a couple of comments I read in UK & Ireland news sources, following up on EIC events.

First, in this article from The Independent UK edition,
                    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/g...-10094645.html

that discussed Chris O'Hare's bronze medal performance in the 1500, the article pointed out that he got spiked at the start of the race. Here is O'Hare's statement: “'I’m a bit of skin lighter,' he said afterwards. 'In the first five metres, I just got stood on from behind.'"

What does the phrase "skin lighter" mean? I can probably make up a reasonable guess, given that I know what this article is discussing, but I have never seen that phrase before and am wondering if someone might comment on it.

Second, from The Independent, Ireland edition,
                    http://www.independent.ie/sport/othe...-31050909.html

in an article on Mark English's 800m silver medal performance, is this statement about the runner: "Even if he'd somehow got up to pip Polish champion Marcin Lewandowski yesterday you could never see the Letterkenny star grabbing a jester hat and doing 'a Gillick'."

Again, I probably have a decent idea about what this is stating, but perhaps someone could comment on the phrase "doing a Gillick"?

(And yes, I know I could just google things 'til I get an answer, but I'm more interested in what the educated, interesting, cosmopolitan readers of these forums have to say.)

Comment

• The latter must refer to David Gillick, Ireland's former 400 star, but I don't know specifically what sort of behavior he was known for.
                      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Po View Post

First, in this article from The Independent UK edition,
                        http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/g...-10094645.html

that discussed Chris O'Hare's bronze medal performance in the 1500, the article pointed out that he got spiked at the start of the race. Here is O'Hare's statement: “'I’m a bit of skin lighter,' he said afterwards. 'In the first five metres, I just got stood on from behind.'"

What does the phrase "skin lighter" mean? I can probably make up a reasonable guess, given that I know what this article is discussing, but I have never seen that phrase before and am wondering if someone might comment on it.
                        Chris lost some skin during the race, here is a picture of the injury. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_lg21aUcAM3EPJ.jpg:large

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Po View Post
                          “'I’m a bit of skin lighter
                          Complete misunderstanding. Try "I'm a bit of skin lighter" Meaning he has less skin than when he started. Similar usage, "I started my buck's night with $3,000 but now I'm a bit light on!"

Originally posted by Master Po
                          "...you could never see the Letterkenny star grabbing a jester hat and doing 'a Gillick'
                          Gillick was thrown a jester's cap after winning the 2007 Euro Indoors and proceeded to do what all good Irishman do when exultant and in possession of a jester's cap!

Comment

Working...
                          X