Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem, Dave, is you can't build a well-rounded program with only 12.6 scholarships. Teams have to depend on some academic scholarships or scholarships in other sports that don't count against the 12.6 (Devon Allen being a prime example).
    The Oregon men were fortunate (or smart) enough to grab Jenkins, Gregorek and Geoghagen as either transfers or grad students with some eligibility left. It was weird to attend a meet when your school was only entered in 5 events. However, second place Florida picked up their points in just six events (LJ, TJ, 400, 200, 800 and SP). That's simply the way one builds a championship team these days. Meanwhile, the women can be a bit better rounded due to 18 scholarships.
    Last edited by bruce3404; 03-16-2015, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Bruce, at a large state school with every benefit imaginable, sure you can. You can count on the allure of "extras" that aren't available at less-advantaged schools to draw in national scorers without handing out fulls.

Oregon has had pretty well-rounded squads in the past, as have other track and field giants. It just so happens that this year they are loaded in distance events.

Comment

I respect your thoughts gm, but given the out of state tuition at U of O which is approximately $31K per year for out of state students (vs $10K for in state), all that allure (which I don't dispute) does have some drawbacks when a middle class kid from out of state gets a similar partial offer from a school in his/her own states. I think the key is to create a culture in specific similar events...weights (Virginia Tech), jumps (Florida), sprints (A&M), etc. While it is no doubt possible to have a well-rounded team, I think it helps recruiting when you can bring in guys that can be pushed by others in their disciplines. That was the draw for Gregorek, Geoghagen and Jenkins and on the women's side, the Ducks have created a program that brings in great sprinters (Purvis/Baker=Gardner=Prandini=Todd=Washington). Women want to sprint for Oregon and men want to run distance at Oregon and as much as Duck fans want national titles, I agree that it would be great to spread the points around a bit more. In the Spring, you'll see Cabral back in the hurdles (with Devon Allen still rehabbing, but hoping to be back next year) and the great freshman Nate Moore in the Jumps. Meanwhile, with football's help, the Ducks will score points in the conference meet and there's a pretty good Pole Vaulter in the wings. Chambers and Franzmair ran excellent DMR legs, so there's some hope that one of them will someday be an NCAA scorer. With fewer events, I guess it's just easier indoors to bunch your points, but with limited scholarships you can only grab so many "HS 4* superstars" and then hope the coaching staff can guide the 3* athletes to bigger and better performances. Doling out those paltry 12.6 schollies makes NFL draft war rooms look like a game of Risk.
        Last edited by bruce3404; 03-16-2015, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Bruce, are you sure that the out-of-state tuition at U of O is $31,000; what I recall is that at Oregon State it is way lower than that.

I just checked, the out-of-state tuition and fees are 30,800 at U of O and only $23,000 at Oregon State, which is odd because Oregon State is actually the better school (and by seemingly larger margins over time). Also, I think that the room and board are generally less than competing schools.

Comment

I added a few bucks to the Oregon numbers since a 2.3% tuition increase is coming. I didn't compare room and board since I have no idea what other schools charge and I just assumed that it was around the same. I am surprised the Oregon State is so much cheaper since it's a higher rated school; then again, they don't have much of a track program and Corvallis isn't nearly as cosmopolitan as Eugene (I say that with tongue firmly in cheek). I guess my original point is that you don't have much wiggle room with only 12.6 scholarships and it's pretty hard to build 20 events around such a small number of scholarships, so schools become sprint, distance, jumping or throwing schools and the better ones have good coaching staffs that can bring along athletes in other disciplines that weren't very highly ranked in HS and might have qualified for only 1/4 of a scholarship. A good case in point might be Soratos, a 4:23 miler in HS. Ideally, you snag a Prandini who sprints and long jumps and can handle both relays or better yet, a scholar athlete (Hasay, et al) or athlete from another sport (Allen, Liz Brenner, Demps, Goodwin to name a recent few) who scores points in the NCAAs.
            Last edited by bruce3404; 03-16-2015, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I guess this begs the opposite question: Which programs are more well rounded? ie who has top level representation in field events, sprints, and distance?

Comment

The Ducks were there last year on the men's side, scoring in the 200, 400, 1500, 110H, SC, 5000 and 10000, along with the HT and JT. Some of those folks have graduated, but Nate Moore will be a threat in the LJ and TJ if he's not red-shirted. This year's men's team does not appear to be quite as well-rounded, but I guess quoting last year's numbers somewhat defeats my initial argument, though not so much for the women who are more likely to only score in the 100, 200, LJ, SP and 4x1 and maybe in the 1500, SC, TJ. JT and HT unless they pick up a few transfers. A&M, Florida, USC and Arkansas also seem to be somewhat well-rounded, but we'll have to wait until June to see just how well-rounded any of them are. Given that the Ducks scored 57 in the mile, 3000 and 5000, you can still win an outdoor title in most years with that kind of scoring (of course, I'm projecting 1500, 5000 and 10000 outdoors).
                Last edited by bruce3404; 03-16-2015, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X