Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webb vs. World Rankers

I never thought I'd contribute to the Webb clutter, but I'm too lazy to go through earlier threads to find where this might be most apropos. But in looking at the Ostrava resultsin depth for the first time today (hey, I've got my NCAA hat on!) I was struck by how many sometime World Rankers he beat. Not all in the 1500 perhaps, but aren't there at least 10? Somebody got T&FN annual editions and cares to check?

Re: Webb vs. World Rankers

Not
    >all in the 1500 perhaps, but aren't there at least 10? Somebody got T&FN annual
    >editions and cares to check?

Minimum of 10 and that is without looking at 03.
    Lagat
    Saidi-Sief
    Chirchir, W.
    Maazouzi
    Shabunin
    Kimutai
    Chirchir, C.
    Krummenaker
    Ngeny
    Kipkuri

gh on the webb bandwagon?

Comment

If Webb is not in the IAAF top ten at his time then the ranking system is flawed.

Comment

Not only is Webb fighting the power, he's doing so by "getting after it." That's scary.

Comment

malmo, pretty sure you thought it was a mistake that Webb left UM. Do you think the jury is still out or do you think it still was a mistake or(if my assumption is correct) have you changed your mind?

Comment

Note from a T&FN subscriber who was lucky enough to be in Ostrava:

<<I was going ga-ga during Webb's race in Ostrava. After long dismissing him
            as an arrogant kid who bolted from the traditional
            "pay-your-four-years'-dues-in-college" format to strike it out on his
            own--and having seen him (in results, at least)--struggle to find his
            niche, it was amazing not only to see him thumb his nose at some of the
            world's best. After all of these years, I can say that after last Tuesday night, I'm a
            Webb fan and booster. Now, can he pull any of the other Americans up to
            the next level?>>

Comment

>If Webb is not in the IAAF top ten at his time then the ranking system is
              >flawed.>>

Last update of the IAAF Rankings was the day before Ostrava and he was No. 49. With the amount of value the Rankings place on the World Champs and Golden League meets (and go back a year), no way even his world-leading time there will put him even close to top 10, I would guess.

Comment

Way to go, gh, now you've started another 100+ thread. At least this one is positive. Isn't it funny how a change in wind direction has everyone saying 'I told you so.' That's why I like the letter you cite; he admits he was on the Webbsux bandwagon.

Comment

From David Monti's RRW:

DK:
                  "That was great. I wish we had another couple of guys who can run like that."

BL:
                  "He looked really good and felt confident. You know, that boy is going to have a good good future. He's one of those guys that you never under estimate. I never under estimate anyone. Anything can happen. Alan Webb is one of those examples. At the Olympics, you know, that boy looked strong. He can actually win the Olympics. That's why we have to be ready for the Olympics ourselves."

Comment

GH(or anyone else),
                    When was the last time an American led the world 1500 list at this point in the season?

Comment

If I was a smark-aleck, I'd say 1852...

Comment

>Not
                        >all in the 1500 perhaps, but aren't there at least 10? Somebody got T&FN
                        >annual
                        >editions and cares to check?

Minimum of 10 and that is without
                        >looking at 03.
                        Lagat
                        Saidi-Sief
                        Chirchir,
                        >W.
                        Maazouzi
                        Shabunin
                        Kimutai
                        Chirchir,
                        >C.
                        Krummenaker
                        Ngeny
                        Kipkuri

Should anyone else be added to the above list from that race?

Comment

>If I was a smark-aleck, I'd say 1852...

I would say it's not unusual, since the US season starts so much earlier. Certainly the Ryun years and it would not surprise me even later. No ref materials with me.

Comment

Ryun almost certainly never did. He lived in yard days. Indeed, I'm not sure that he had more than 4 or 5 1500 finals under his belt when he ran in Mexico City.

Comment

but didn't he have 'official' 1500 en-route times also? maybe not.

Comment

Working...
                              X