Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance False Starts

I figured this could be a topic considering what has happened at the meet yesterday and today. In the 800 prelims Jesse Garn was thrown out for a false start. Now in the 3000, Maggie Montoya was thrown out for a false start, after which the officials were booed for the call.

The 800, maybe, but in a 3k? Is that really justifiable?
    Has this happened before in the past, in the NCAA or even the world stage?
    Last edited by ATK; 03-23-2015, 08:11 PM.

I know that it happened famously here in Alabama years ago at the state HS meet in the girl's two mile. I believe it was one of our locals who was given the boot.

Has it ever happened in XC?

Comment

I've actually seen a false start in the marathon, however there were no disqualifications.

Comment

no race run without blocks should have a false-start rule (i.e., you can call them back, but no DQs). Utter stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
          no race run without blocks should have a false-start rule (i.e., you can call them back, but no DQs). Utter stupidity.
          My thoughts exactly!

Comment

gh for president!

Comment

You'd have to be a real idiot false starting out of a distance event. Though I would definitely false start out of a marathon.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

Third the motion.. lets do it.

Comment

We can start the movement today and anticipate a change in the rule sometime around 2027.

Comment

^ I don't know ... 2027 seems like it might be rushing things a bit ...

Comment

Ridiculous rule. The DQs were simply based on nervousness and they should have green-flagged the field. A shame that those kids worked hard enough to make an NCAA final and then get kicked out because they were a bit jittery. If I'm coaching, I'm telling my kids to stay a couple of inches back from the waterfall lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Po View Post
                        ^ I don't know ... 2027 seems like it might be rushing things a bit ...
                        I've always been the optimistic type.

Comment

Originally posted by bruce3404 View Post
                          Ridiculous rule. The DQs were simply based on nervousness and they should have green-flagged the field. A shame that those kids worked hard enough to make an NCAA final and then get kicked out because they were a bit jittery. If I'm coaching, I'm telling my kids to stay a couple of inches back from the waterfall lines.
                          They have rules and if they transgress they get eliminated. Same as the sprinters. The sprinters have far more excuses for the "jitteries" than distance runners. Did they train any less hard to get there? I guess I am just not a participant certificate guy. Don't false start in any race if the penalty is automatic dq.

Comment

It does seem a bit harsh but surely the idea of a race is to see who can finish first out of a bunch of people who you are pretty confident started at the same time? If anything I think officials are too happy to give a "Green" card for a faulty start and are not prepared to call the athlete on what is (in many cases) clearly their error.

Comment

And for just your reasons, Mal, I did not join in the booing, though I think a green card would have been more appropriate. There is a lot of noise at an indoor venue that could cause an athlete to jump. The rule in sprinting was put in place to stop the incessant gamesmanship of false starting (us old fogies remember when it took 3 false starts to get bumped), but it's hard to imagine distance runners trying to game the competition by false-starting. Multis athletes also get a false start, so why not apply that same rule to distance runners (1500 and over)?

Comment

Working...
                              X