Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Relays

First of the big college relay carnivals. Good intro article here.

http://www.texassports.com/news/2015...319152128.aspx

Fifteen hours of coverage on the longhorn network, which is now on several satellite and cable companies. Multi-events start on Wednesday.

This will be the 63rd (I think) anniversay of my first Texas Relay as an athlete and my 30something year as an official..(I was off living life for a while) but i have only seen(spectated) two Texas Relays; when my son was running in the (19)70s.

Comment

Alex Gochenour (Arkansas) looks to be on track for a potential big PR in the Heptathlon. Has 13.15 (old PR 13.63) in the 100h and 1.78 (old outdoor PR 1.69) in the HJ. She did HJ 1.80 this indoor season.

Comment

The weather in Austin at 4:00 p.m. CDT, Wednesday: low 80s, not many clouds, intermittent light breezes. Friday and Saturday are supposed to be comparably warm and sunny, but Thursday's forecast is cloudy with a high and low of 68 and 42. So apparently a brief cool front. Austin at its two main weather stations has rain surpluses, so far for 2015, of 3.2 and 3.9 inches. Thus for the time being we're spring-like and well-watered. Which beats a lot of Texas Relays in the past.

Comment

College teams, from outside Texas and its four adjacent states, sending a men's team of at least four athletes, a women's team of at least four athletes, or both: Akron, Auburn, Augustana, Ill., Boston University, Brigham Young, California Irvine, Clemson, Cloud County CC, Colorado, Connecticut, Eastern Washington, Florida, Georgia, Harvard, Jackson State, Kansas, Kansas City CC, Long Island, Missouri, Missouri-Kansas City, Missouri State, Morgan State, Nevada Las Vegas, Northern Arizona, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Portland State, Purdue, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah State.

High school teams from outside the same region: Clinton (Clinton, MS), East St. Louis (East St. Louis, IL), Great Oak (Temecula, CA), Laguna Hills (Laguna Hills, CA), Lake Brantley (Altamonte Springs, FL), Lincoln-Way East (Frankfort, IL), St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdales, FL). Wilson (Long Beach, CA).

Plus we'll have a Japanese men's national team and a Nigerian men's relay team.

Comment

Originally posted by donley2 View Post
            Alex Gochenour (Arkansas) looks to be on track for a potential big PR in the Heptathlon. Has 13.15 (old PR 13.63) in the 100h and 1.78 (old outdoor PR 1.69) in the HJ. She did HJ 1.80 this indoor season.
            Gochenour followed it up with a PR in the SP and a very windy 200: 24.08 (+4.3). She's 326 points above her PR (5522) pace and 6000 points is certainly in play here.

On the men's side, Harrison Williams of Stanford with 3 PRs in his first decathlon with senior implements, on his way to a pretty good score and very likely an early NCAA qualifier. Mahler of Texas ran 10.52w then DNS the LJ... and Moss NH'ed in the HJ.

Comment

Originally posted by donley2 View Post
              Gochenour with two additional life time best. A new PB in the SP 13.02 (old PB 12.48) and life time best in the 200 24.08 (+4.3) her previous best mark 24.44 (+3.4).

Comment

Justin Gatlin will have his season debut this weekend at the Texas Relays. We can see how he compares to Bolt.
                Bolt's last year...and my last year as a track fan, it's been fun

Comment

There's absolutely no counting out Gatlin this or next year.

A. he knows he's near the end, so is fully appreciating every opportunity to succeed
                  B. his bust gave him a chip on his shoulder to use as training incentive. Plus it made him appreciate being allowed to sprint more.
                  C. Bolt is aging also
                  D.

Comment

I was checking out what is on TV tonight (I'm with Verizon Fios), and the Texas Relays are listed as live from 7 to 10 east coast time on the Longhorn Network (or some such). Digging further, there are also listings for:
                    Thursday: 7-10 pm Live
                    Friday: 10:30 am to 1:30 pm Live, 8-10 pm Live
                    Saturday: 2-6 Live

Also, listings for Texas Relays starting today at 1-2:30 pm, then from 4 pm almost continuously through Saturday. I think most of those will be previous years or rebroadcasts of this year, but who knows. Might have to check some of it out.

Comment

Alex Gochenour now has 4691 points after 5 events.
                      She had the best LJ at 20-7.

Unless she's really AWFUL in the JT, I can see her getting 6300 points!
                      She can run a fairly fast 800----2:15 or so.

Comment

After 5: Gochenour is 531 points ahead of her PR (5522) pace, so those marks (35.26 & 2:22.83) would put her at 6053. Her PRs for the remaining two events are 38.05 and 2:16.85... and those marks would take her to 6188. The LJ results did not have any wind readings, but judging by the men's 110H taking place about the same time, it was pretty windy out there, so she'll have a 'windy' 6000 point score, but a darn good score nonetheless.

Comment

Is someone there?
                          The JT in the Hept was supposed to have started 45 minutes ago, but no marks are on the board yet.
                          The board's working, so maybe they're delayed??

Comment

OUCH!
                            Gochenour hit just 102 ft----while J Hermann got 160.....so they're now just 8 pts apart w/ 800 to go-----Gochenour ahead.
                            Should be a thrilling finish!!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                              OUCH!
                              Gochenour hit just 102 ft----while J Hermann got 160.....so they're now just 8 pts apart w/ 800 to go-----Gochenour ahead.
                              Should be a thrilling finish!!
                              Gochenour wins the Heptathlon with (unofficially) 6027 Hemann second with 6002. Behind Brooks and Brown with high 5400' are also likely to qualify for the NCAA.
                              Note that the spreadsheet in the Texas relay site is using its own calculation of points and has Gochenour with 6311

Comment

Working...
                              X