Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big personal best for Michael Stigler in the 400h...48.44!

Comment

Jason Grimes, Canyon HS (near Amarillo) class of 2016, ran 36.10 in the boys' 300 hurdles. Then ten minutes later, Michael Stigler, Canyon HS (near Amarillo) class of 2011, now a Kansas senior, ran 48.44 in the men's 400 hurdles.

Comment

Originally posted by donley2 View Post
        Nice 63.92 by Rodney Brown in the Discus.
        True, while Ryan Crouser was only fifth with only 58 metres. He injured himself last year in June, but in the shot he threw 21m indoor so I would have thought he was in better shape.

Comment

Signage on Friday was improved compared to past years. Kudos to whoever is responsible. For the men's and women's triple jumps, conducted simultaneously, there were two new big electronic units facing west side fans from the infield just beyond the track lanes behind the sand pits. They weren't working much for those two events, but were working by the time competition proceeded to the girls' and boys' pole vaults and men's discus. Announcing is improved somewhat, stylistically, but still has some mid-race mis-calls as to who's leading or who's where. A runner leading will be identified as X, and then a half lap or lap later is still leading but is instead identified as Y, and X will be back a ways. More in need of fixing is that the online results in the horizontal jumps don't show wind readings. Friday conditions were mostly calm, but, for example, the 53-03 1/2 by Felix Obi for 4th was slightly windy when I copied a few marks from the posting boards on the north side of the stadium. Then, on the online results for the discus, there isn't any metric. So another fix to be pursued. Note on Crouser that the 3rd through 5th placers all threw 192+ and that the difference between them was only four inches. Sam Mattis had a sixth throw of about 198 that was a rightfield sector foul by not much, maybe a foot or foot and a half. If it had landed fair, he would have finished 2nd rather than 3rd.

Comment

1.88 for Amy Acuff in the HJ. Skipped 1.91 and went straight for the Beijing qualifier of 1.94 and missed.

Comment

Watching Deon Lendore in the 4x100 (which A&M just won in 38.91 in a close finish over LSU 38.93) makes me think he should run some 200 meter races. I know he has already run 44.36 at 400, but I swear it looks like the guy could be a sub 20 200 meter guy as well.

Comment

Paul Sunderland, Dwight Stones and Larry Rawson are the Longhorn Network announcers. So Japan ran a 38.84 to push USA blue who won in 38.80. USA blue was anchored by Justin Gatlin who actually had to run. The funny part was I don't think any of the three announcers had a clue who Yoshihide Kiryu (the japanese anchor) was and that he has a PR of 10.01. They all seemed shocked that Gatlin actually had to run a bit to hold him off.

Comment

Saturday reverted to normal, which is to say pathetic. Officiating is professional. Athletes try hard and perform well. The presentation for fan purposes is horrible and has been, year after year. The laundry list is too long to detail. Four of us sat there complaining about and ridiculing this, that, and the other. Worst was that the infield big news signs, today behind the men's and women's long jumps, were back to inoperable or, if operable, to not being operated. Nor was there any announcing of the long jump happenings as an alternative. High jump and shot put, the usual no signs, either, and minimal announcing of them. One goes to the meet and has no idea what is going on in some of the key events because nobody informs the fans or seems to have any interest whatsoever in informing the fans. It's now the Nike Texas Relays. Nike is not getting its money's worth for whatever it's kicking in, especially when the announcer in one case pronounces Nike as if it rhymes with Like or Hike.

I do a post like this every year, just to go through the motions.

Comment

I did like seeing the Nike uniform caused a problem in a relay. At the first exchange the two Nike teams, in identical uniforms, were in neighboring lanes. The first leg of the leading Nike runner must've been just staring a the uniform because he went in the other lane and was going to hand off to the other team but that 2nd leg waved him off.

Comment

Originally posted by CKuykendall View Post
                      Worst was that the infield big news signs, today behind the men's and women's long jumps, were back to inoperable or, if operable, to not being operated. Nor was there any announcing of the long jump happenings as an alternative.
                      Just got home from working Mens LJ at Texas Relays today. Officials took a lot of grief from fans and coaches about the inoperable scoreboards; over which working officials have no control.

A person with laptop was seated with the recorders (whose record is the official result).When the electronic scoreboard was working, jumpers name and distance came up instantly for every jump. For 86 years we used a manually posted scoreboard. Last year, when we went to laser measurement, the manual boards were retired because results were to be posted on an electronic board....sometimes they were, sometime not...

Another problem with electronic posting is: Not often but sometimes, the laptop operater enters a wrong mark, which the spectators take as gospel. This discrepancy is corrected in the laptop after competion is finished but can (and did today) lead to post-event disputes/protests today from coaches/fans when the final results are posted and do not agree with what they heard or thought they heard.

We always use two recorders at meets of this stature who compare marks after each round of every flight but score independently.

It gets worse. In an attempt to minimize confusion, when the electronic scoreboard is not working, the laser reader loudly (as long as his voice lasts) gives the mark to the First recorder, who repeats it to the Second Recorder, who repeats it back to the laser reader. Spectators near enough to hear the repeated exchange can keep their own score. At Texas, this only works for the men's pit which is next to the stands. The womens pit is farther away next to the track so with crowd noise and wind, this stopgap measure is notfeasible.

I instruct my readers to not say thirty or forty or fifty or sixty, which can be misheard, but to report the reading as number-point- number- number.... 7.35 is seven- point- three- five, not seven thirty five. .. still this is an imperfect world and stuff happens... but we try...
                      Last edited by lonewolf; 03-29-2015, 08:19 AM.

Comment

And it provides a little seminar for neophyte officials to absorb (I almost always do the PV and so rarely work other events; the horizontal jumps should be more part of my repertoire).

Comment

Originally posted by CKuykendall View Post
                          It's now the Nike Texas Relays. Nike is not getting its money's worth for whatever it's kicking in, especially when the announcer in one case pronounces Nike as if it rhymes with Like or Hike.
                          A few years ago, I heard a PA announcer mention Verizon was a sponsor of the meet. He pronounced it VEH-rih-ZAHN.

Comment

Finished the 15+ hours of television coverage on Longhorn network this weekend. Have to say it was absolutely a delight to view a meet as it was intended! Every heat of every event!!! Including complete coverage of the multi's! In the age of the NBC's style highlighting 1 or 2 Americans, and only showing that specific heat (or maybe just a clip of it), this was the right way to do things..... a track fans dream!! Way to go Longhorn Network!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X