Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mo Farah not European says Fabian Roncero - Is he correct?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mo Farah not European says Fabian Roncero - Is he correct?

A potentially explosive and divisive subject on "The Day's Best Reading".

"Former" European half marathon record holder says he is still the rightful claimant to being European record holder as Mo Farah is rightfully only the Somalian record holder, given that Somalia was his country of birth. Roncern is quoted as saying

“Although the official lists say that Mo Farah now holds the half-marathon record, for me the 800m European record holder remains Sebastian Coe, the 1500m Fermín Cacho, the 5,000m Dieter Baumann and 10,000m António Pinto.”

Is he correct? Is his approach the right one? Should Galen Rupp be recognized as the USA 3000m record holder?
    Last edited by gh; 03-25-2015, 01:49 PM.

I agree 100%! Frank Shorter did not win the '72 Olympic marathon for the USA!

(insert tongue firmly in cheek)

Comment

Perhaps Mr. Bitter "ex-European Half Marathon Record holder" should take his petty bitching up with the IAAF. This shit has some anti-immigrant overtones to it.

Comment

1. His father is British
        2. He joined his father at age 8 and his running prowess is not related to residing in Somalia
        3. Exactly where would he draw the line, does he have to 'look' British, 'sound' British?

It certainly is anti-immigration at its core (you can never be a true member of my country...). And, yes, it does have a racist overtone.

Comment

I can hear the complaints from the existing Somali record holders now: "But he's not a real Somali - he was only born here and spent most of his first 8 years in Djibouti and Somaliland (which we don't consider part the real Somalia)."

Comment

I think that Mr. Roncero can think what he wants, also he can think that he is the true world record holder... but the reality is different, he is NOT the world record holder and Mo Farah is the new European Record Holder.

Comment

That would mean, the hottest Borg on the planet was German and i'm all for that. Jeri Ryan aka Seven of Nine was born in Munich.
              Either Roncero is too stupid or too much of a racist to understand what he is saying.

Comment

Does Fabian consider the 2014 European cross country bronze medallist as really from the country he represents?

Comment

No he is not. Some people may complain about what we'd call "plastic"-something, but Farah is British by birth, has lived there most of his life. Had Farah been a white guy born in, say, Australia or Canada or the US (so not European), with a British dad (an thus British) and who moved to Britain at 8, I'm pretty sure Roncero would have had nothing to say against it.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                    It certainly is anti-immigration at its core (you can never be a true member of my country...). And, yes, it does have a racist overtone.
                    It may be so, but I also think it's partly inferiority complex. The way I interpret what he's saying is: white European runners aren't able to challenge the Africans due to their physiological limitation, so they should have a separate category in which they can excel.
                    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                      It may be so, but I also think it's partly inferiority complex. The way I interpret what he's saying is: white European runners aren't able to challenge the Africans due to their physiological limitation, so they should have a separate category in which they can excel.
                      Just for one, Paula would like a word ...

Comment

Oh great, a sample of one.

Meanwhile, the fastest European marathoner in 2014 (and that happened to be Farah as well) was no. 77 on the world list. And this was actually a good season by recent European standards, with 3 men in the world's top 100, all under 2:09. There has been at least one season without a single European among the world's 100 fastest men.
                        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                          Is he correct? Is his approach the right one? Should Galen Rupp be recognized as the USA 3000m record holder?
                          Is his beef with Farah's birthplace or racial/ethnic origin? If it's the latter, Rupp isn't American either, he's European, because the only true Americans based on this defintion are the Seminoles, the Comanches, the Cherokees, the Choctaws, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                            Is his beef with Farah's birthplace or racial/ethnic origin? If it's the latter, Rupp isn't American either, he's European, because the only true Americans based on this defintion are the Seminoles, the Comanches, the Cherokees, the Choctaws, etc.
                            So, is Billy Mills still the true US record holder?

Comment

Just watch Mo at the London Olympics, and he is MOST DEFINITELY British. He ran with passion and pride, and with great credit to his country. Same with Meb and Lagat and the USA. They broke no rules in their respective citizenship journeys, and represent their new countries with great distinction and professionalism.

If anything will stretch the boundaries of running for your country, it is the Qatar's of this world purchasing the national allegiances of Kenyan and Ethiopian athletes. But even there, no citizenship rules that I know of are broken.

Comment

Working...
                              X