Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average man/Joe times and marks

Does anyone have or know where I can find marks in each event for an average man? By average man, I mean someone around 35 years old with 2-3 months of training.

I don't know if this helps, and it might not be what you're looking for exactly, but this site has some info including an "age-grade" calculator. http://www.usatfmasters.org/fa_agegrading.htm
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Not bad Scott. I'm looking for studies of average men or students that show what a regular guy is capable of.

Comment

I would think the average Joe performs way below the average competitor at age group/organized Athletics meets. 50 years ago when I was in the army you had to run six minutes for the mile to get max PT test points how many random off the street joes do you think could even complete a mile run out walking more then 50% of the distance?
        You might look towards things like fire or sanitation dept like organization requirements or proficiency test scores to see what is expected of a reasonably fit person. I would think the average Joe, no matter how you define average Joe, is an awful lot less fit than the least fit garbage man.
        Tom Hyland:
        "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

The best comparison would be to see how you place in your age group in a road race (e.g., 5k). While this doesn't compare against an "average" man of your age, it is a better comparison against those who have some level of fitness and are attempting to do well. To compare oneself against those who are not running, much less running, would only serve to show the obvious, that you are in better shape than a majority of men in your age group.
          What is the purpose of this inquiry?

Comment

I was looking into masters world records, and it seemed to me that an average person probably could be considered rather fit regardless of his age, if he's able run some of the WR times of the W60 group.

Comment

Not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by xw View Post
                I was looking into masters world records, and it seemed to me that an average person probably could be considered rather fit regardless of his age, if he's able run some of the WR times of the W60 group.
                Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                Not even close.
                I presume xw is referring to middle distances and up. The W60 record in the 1500m (5:06.65) is far beyond the short-term reach of the average young adult male. So is 18:48.62 for 5000m.

But the sprint times for W60 would be unimpressive for young adult males. Many can run those times with little to no training.
                Last edited by 18.99s; 09-07-2015, 02:26 PM.

Comment

An average man runs a mile in 8:34.
                  27 push ups and 36 sit ups in a minute. 160 bench for 1 rep max.

http://www.elitefeet.com/are-you-an-average-man

Comment

And here are the average times for longer distances.

5k 28:46/34:53.
                    10k 56:00 / 1:04:47.
                    Half 2:01:37 / 2:19:49.
                    Marathon 4:16:37 / 4:41:49.

http://www.runnersworld.com/newswire...age-road-racer

These are the averages for people who actually participate in road races. I guess people who race longer distances are better trained.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                      I presume xw is referring to middle distances and up. The W60 record in the 1500m (5:06.65) is far beyond the short-term reach of the average young adult male. So is 18:48.62 for 5000m.

But the sprint times for W60 would be unimpressive for young adult males. Many can run those times with little to no training.
                      If you exclude the 400, perhaps I could agree. I doubt if many young adult males with little or no training could run 53.88, or even close to it.

Comment

Originally posted by berkeley View Post
                        If you exclude the 400, perhaps I could agree. I doubt if many young adult males with little or no training could run 53.88, or even close to it.
                        53.88? The W60 record for 400m is 64.64.
                        http://world-masters-athletics.org/r.../outdoor-women

EDIT: On looking at the men's records, I see the M60 record is the 53.88 which you mentioned. But we're talking about the women's records in relation to the average man's ability to perform them.
                        Last edited by 18.99s; 09-07-2015, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Actually, 100m and 200m are the toughest for a younger man to equal W60 World Record. (800m is the easiest)

W60 WR and age grading for 35 yr old male.

100m (13.63) 72.6%
                          200m (28.11) 71.29%
                          400m (64.64) 68.85%
                          800m (2:33.09) 66.24%
                          1500m (5:06.65) 68.57%
                          5000m (18:48.62) 68.53%
                          10000m (39:04.23) 68.86%
                          Marathon (3:02:50) 68.32%

Comment

Yes, I meant the sprints as well. I don't think many unfit adult men can easily beat the 100m/200m W60 WR marks either. But sprinting prowess is more heavily dependent on talent, so perhaps those born with some speed would find it easier to get to 13"63 without any training. For sprints I assume it's just more polarized among the general public, while for distance running an average man can be reasonably OK after a reasonable amount of work.

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                            Actually, 100m and 200m are the toughest for a younger man to equal W60 World Record. (800m is the easiest)

800m (2:33.09) 66.24%
                            Thanks for the data - I'm not so sure how exactly the numbers work, does that mean the 800m age record is the softest for ladies to break? Or just that it'll be the easiest for men?
                            Last edited by xw; 09-08-2015, 02:51 AM.

Comment

having walked through average joe grocery stores i would take the conservative approach and say 20% faster than a leisurely walking pace for anything over 800m .

Comment

Working...
                              X