Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cain coming out of hibernation at OR Relays

This weekend's Oregon Relays brings Mary Cain out of hibernation, as she's entered in the 1500.
    Some other significant entrants include:

Sarah Baxter (5000)
    Treniere Moser (800)
    Alexi Pappas (1500--Cain's heat--and 5000)
    Mac Fleet (1500)
    Bridget Franek (SC)
    Jon Cabral (110H & 400H)

With Cain & Moser entered, you'd think Galen Rupp might make an appearance too.
    Nope!

If this is Cain's "rust-buster", she might not even win, with Pappas---and Hillary Holt in the race.
    And what about Moser?
    She'll have Raevyn Rogers as her key competition.

As for Baxter, she's entered as unattached.
    She ran a 1500 last week in 4:29, so I'm not expecting any glorious return---a la Wesley Frazier's 15:45 a few weeks ago.
    And if Pappas runs both (They're on different days, so she probably will!), Pappas will be the clear favorite.

But great to know Ms Cain is still among the living!
    LOL

Originally posted by gktrack
    On a related note, Efraimson opening down at Mt. SAC in the 1500m Invitational. I'm reminded of how young she is after watching this video - looks like she's going to same college as Mary Cain according to the interview.
    http://www.runnerspace.com/gprofile....ideo_id=141464
    Doug Binder tweeted the interview earlier.
    I tweeted back that I thought it would be interesting to see who runs faster---even though in different meets/races.

My pick?
    Efraimson, hands down!!

Comment

Originally posted by gktrack
      On a related note, Efraimson opening down at Mt. SAC in the 1500m Invitational. I'm reminded of how young she is after watching this video - looks like she's going to same college as Mary Cain according to the interview.
      http://www.runnerspace.com/gprofile....ideo_id=141464
      This is very interesting because it shows how U.S. women are improving at natonal and international levels. Although the NCAA is as exciting as ever when Felix turned pro it began a top-level change that has led to Whitney's turning pro as a HS jr. I wouldn't be surprised if U.S. women do better than U.S. men at the WC this year or the OG next year.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post

My pick?
        Efraimson, hands down!!
        Anyone want the winning lottery numbers??
        LOL

Comment

Cain handily beaten by Duck junior Annie Leblanc tonight. Given that she had little to no response in the final 200, my guess is that she was running a rust buster at a pace specified by Alberto and not at all going for the win. Cain's time was 4:17.91 to LeBlanc's 4:16.17.

Comment

Originally posted by bruce3404 View Post
            Cain handily beaten by Duck junior Annie Leblanc tonight. Given that she had little to no response in the final 200, my guess is that she was running a rust buster at a pace specified by Alberto and not at all going for the win. Cain's time was 4:17.91 to LeBlanc's 4:16.17.
            Let me put it this way--
            Her once-upon-a-time "biggest fan" is NOT picking her to make the US team for the WC!!

Comment

I think it's pretty early to write her off; after all, just one race and none of us know what the strategy entailed. I'm ready to write it off as a rust buster at a pace dictated by her coach. Still, I must admit that I was a bit surprised that she didn't seize the opportunity to win it in the final 200 when she was positioned to do so.

Comment

If she's only allowed to run a certain pace "dictated by her coach"....
                then she needs to change coaches....
                TODAY!!

Comment

Originally posted by bruce3404 View Post
                  Still, I must admit that I was a bit surprised that she didn't seize the opportunity to win it in the final 200 when she was positioned to do so.
                  The most troubling aspect of her (sparse) racing the last two years has been the seeming evaporation of her once(ie: pre-"pro") lethal finishing speed.

Salazar has kept her largely under wraps the last 18 months. Maybe there's a reason for that. Maybe not. But the time is coming - soon - when he will no longer be able to either keep her off the track, or write off regression as part of the "long-term plan"
                  There are no strings on me

Comment

I agree with guru!
                    The fact that Efraimson---a current HS student---cleaned Cain's clock (albeit in different meets/races) says a mouthful!
                    Why?
                    Because her coach (Mike Hickey) isn't a control freak in need of anger management rehab, and because she knows what she wants (Watch her Driven series from Flotrack--GREAT!!).
                    Cain USED to!!
                    But the past 18 months---as Guru states---Cain's been "kept under wraps" (a debased euphemism if ever I've heard one!!!), and seems to have lost that wonderful "free spirit" she had in 2013 and before.

And you can NOT use the excuse of her being a student, and in the spider's web of those "freshman blues".
                    Efraimson's a HS senior, probably doing the same "school stuff" as Cain, and yet look where she is in comparison to Cain!

BTW, in her post-race interview at Mt SAC, Alexa said her next race will be at Payton Jordan----a 5000!!!
                    (I'm predicting she'll DESTROY Cain's HSR---although her time won't be eligible for a HSR, because of her Pro status! If she's healthy, she can run 15:30---or MUCH faster!!)
                    Last edited by aaronk; 04-18-2015, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                      If she's only allowed to run a certain pace "dictated by her coach"....
                      then she needs to change coaches....
                      TODAY!!
                      I know you guys worship coaches, for whatever reason, but Salazar probably allows her to eat and sleep surely, when she needs to, even if he controls all else in her life..

Does it occur to you that this very promising Junior talent, Cain, might be about to go where about 70 percent of super promising Juniors go.... into history.

On the other hand she might go on to be a world beater but not with the Salazar person, I'll bet.

Comment

Originally posted by bennyg View Post
                        Does it occur to you that this very promising Junior talent, Cain, might be about to go where about 70 percent of super promising Juniors go.... into history.
                        More like 90 percent. 16 or 17 seems to a magical age (or more accurately, tragical) when super-talented girls peak and then it's all downhill or stagnation from there. The more spectacular they were as teens, the more disastrous they become as adults.

We may never see Mary Cain or Irene Ekelund improve on the PRs they set in 2013. I have higher hopes for Alexa Efraimson, who wasn't as good as those two at 16/17 and hasn't shown signs of regression (yet).

Comment

How fickle - wax orgasmically for 2 years - oops have a hiccup - out in to the dust bin of history. I hope Cain comes back and shoves all these pathetic armchair criticisms up into the darkness of where they deserve to be shoved.

Comment

I guess bears don't run very fast either when they just come out of hibernation.

Comment

I'd be concerned if this was the end of May. She had health issues during the Winter, which might be an available answer to grasp for questions about her performance. Also, comparing her with Efraimson is ridiculous. They were in different races with different paces and different competitors.

Comment

Working...
                              X