Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eugene, Oregon Awarded 2021 World Championships!

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norunner View Post
    So how much did Nike pay to get this? Nike Inc. turns 50 in 2021, just a coincidence i'm sure. Eugene getting WCs is great, but i don't like the way it happened.
    So you prefer the integrity-filled processes by which we've been burdened with the Doha disgrace??

Comment

I wonder if they'll expand the current stadium?

Comment

Originally posted by AS View Post
        So you prefer the integrity-filled processes by which we've been burdened with the Doha disgrace??
        At least with the old way every contender had an equal opportunity to be dishonest and bribe, now they aren't even bothering with pretense any more. I especially wonder why they made that decision now, shortly before they elect a new IAAF president.

Comment

Originally posted by AS View Post
          At least there was a real bidding process and an official vote that time. This time the other bidders weren't even given a chance. I can see why the EA president is upset:

http://www.european-athletics.org/ne...ion/index.html
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
            This time the other bidders weren't even given a chance.
            That is indeed very puzzling and there's a smoking gun somewhere. Meanwhile, as we say at McDonalds - I'm lovin' it!

Comment

I'm so confused. This would have been a great April Fools joke.

While I am thrilled that we are finally hosting, I would rather see it all go through a fair bidding process, because we're more likely to get screwed by this sort of thing than not...

Comment

From Twitter:
                @christophclarey IAAF chief Lamine Diack just told me IAAF council vote to award Eugene the 2021 World Champ done by secret ballot: 23 yes, 1 no,1 abstention

[Two council members were absent]

Comment

Tremendous news! What an absolute surprise, and a huge shot in the arm for track and field in the U.S.

It's a bit rich Goteborg complaining about not getting to bid. Didn't they lose their skjortas on the '95 edition?

Comment

Excellent timing - I was already moving to Eugene later this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Weights&Shoes View Post
                      I wonder if they'll expand the current stadium?
                      I believe that's the plan.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                        From Twitter:
                        @christophclarey IAAF chief Lamine Diack just told me IAAF council vote to award Eugene the 2021 World Champ done by secret ballot: 23 yes, 1 no,1 abstention

[Two council members were absent]
                        But the IAAF web site itself says they "bypassed the usual bidding process".

They go on to claim this isn't the first time it happened, but the example of Osaka 2007 that they give makes no sense, since there were no other bidders that time. Quoting from Wikipedia:

Osaka was one of three cities to express an interest in hosting the 2007 World Championships alongside Budapest, Hungary and Berlin, Germany. By the IAAF's October 1, 2002 deadline, Budapest and Berlin had both withdrawn their bids, and Osaka was announced as the host city on November 15, 2002 as the sole remaining candidate.
                        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

They need to build a new stadium. That stadium is way too small to host a World Championship.

Comment

Happy for Eugene but IAAF is going to shit. That's unacceptable procedure. And the fact that it was used to award it to the USA of all countries is not going to go down well with... every other athletics federation in the world.
                            I'm disappointed, honestly. Eugene could have gotten it fair and game, and then it would have been a real celebration, but now it'll be tainted by this.

Comment

Originally posted by tamabi View Post
                              Happy for Eugene but IAAF is going to shit. That's unacceptable procedure. And the fact that it was used to award it to the USA of all countries is not going to go down well with... every other athletics federation in the world.
                              I'm disappointed, honestly. Eugene could have gotten it fair and game, and then it would have been a real celebration, but now it'll be tainted by this.
                              I recall endless posts here when nearly everybody including gh stated categorically that it would be fatheaded( and would not happen) to have the WC in Oregon with a small insignificant stadium, inadequate infrastructure etc.

Can just imagine the TV coverage from NBC...!!!

Comment

I have no doubt that Eugene can put on a first class track meet.

At the same time, I wish there was an effort to showcase the United States to the world in a truly international city. There is a massive outlier in the succession of Moscow, Beijing, London, Doha, and Eugene

Oh well, I guess money talks.

Comment

Working...
                                X