Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eugene, Oregon Awarded 2021 World Championships!

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vin L on expansion:

"Expansion of the stadium was going to be the latest part of our legacy of hosting world champs. Hayward Field needs to be renovated, and it will be renovated to be able to meet specifications of event seating in 30-32,000 range. Some of it will be temporary seating, but high-end temporary seating."

from front-page link

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
      where's Daegu, that well-known metropolis, in your succession?
      Daegu is still the 4th largest city in South Korea with 2.5 million population. It may not be "well-known" but certainly a very big city.

Eugene is the 146th largest metro area with 358k population (according to Wiki).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tistical_Areas

(The city itself ranks 155th. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population)

Comment

Eugene will of course do a great job of hosting the 2021 champs. However, the gross lack of transparency is disturbing because it smacks of possible under the table corruption going on.

The Swedes (and others) have every right to be pissed off and to be suspicious at how this all came about and to wonder whose hands may have been greased.

However, I also have no sympathy for the concern (arrogance?) reported in the story on comments by European Athletics President Svein Arne Hansen that:

"This means it is the first time a World Championships will be held outside of Europe for two consecutive editions."

Why does Europe think they have an entitlement to host every second WC (50%), while the world's other 5 areas get to scrap over the rights to the other 50%?

Comment

nice observation from T&FN correspondent Howard Willman: if Pre were still around, he'd be 70 at the '21 Worlds!

(my add-on: and probably still thinking he had a chance to win)

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

However, I also have no sympathy for the concern (arrogance?) reported in the story on comments by European Athletics President Svein Arne Hansen that:

"This means it is the first time a World Championships will be held outside of Europe for two consecutive editions."
            You do realise he was stating a fact? Is it arrogance when Americans complain, they haven't had Summer Games in over 20 years, when for example the French haven't had them for over 90?

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post
              Is it arrogance when Americans complain, they haven't had Summer Games in over 20 years, when for example the French haven't had them for over 90?
              Not when you compare population densities with France and the fact that a trip from Paris to London is quicker than a trip from LA to San Francisco.

Comment

You do realise he was stating a fact? Is it arrogance when Americans complain, they haven't had Summer Games in over 20 years, when for example the French haven't had them for over 90?
                The French have nobody to blame but themselves for the '12 loss (and I say that as somebody who thinks that Paris is hands-down the greatest city on the planet). It was theirs to lose, and an arrogant campaign on their part managed to blow a slam dunk.

(but since London is in the running for my second-favorite city, it didn't really bother me to have to go there :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  Vin L on expansion:

"Expansion of the stadium was going to be the latest part of our legacy of hosting world champs. Hayward Field needs to be renovated, and it will be renovated to be able to meet specifications of event seating in 30-32,000 range. Some of it will be temporary seating, but high-end temporary seating."

from front-page link
                  Is this enough for a world championships?

Comment

The IAAF thinks so; does anybody else's opinion matter?

Comment

The IAAF thinks so; does anybody else's opinion matter?
                      Nope!!!!!!

Comment

I do realise he was stating a fact but in the context of the article it came across (at least to me) as a complaint and an expectation that it was Europe's turn.

And yes, given the fact that the USA has hosted the summer Olympics 4 times, it is arrogance if Americans complain about not having the summer games for 20 years.

Comment

just to stay on point, this thread isn't about the Olympic Games, it's about the World Champs. (the OG, of course, to put in historical perspective, were hosted by Paris twice in the first 7 iterations)

Comment

nice observation from T&FN correspondent Howard Willman: if Pre were still around, he'd be 70 at the '21 Worlds!

(my add-on: and probably still thinking he had a chance to win)
                            and still looking for his first medal?

Comment

The real joke is the Country which has been track and field's greatest contributor Nation has never hosted an outdoor World Championships.

This is long goddamn overdue.

Comment

Do we know everything else that happened at the meeting yet? I was hoping to hear an announcement that the IAAF would be relocating the 2016/2017 World Race Walking Cup Championships (or whatever the meet is called) away from Russia due to the MASSIVE doping race walk doping scandals/competing during suspensions/cover ups.

I will be disappointed if that got lost in the shuffle with all the hoopla over giving USA the World Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X