X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by JumboElliott View Post
    The "cheats" worked their asses off too.

I think that the clean people winning Olympic medals are the exception rather than the rule. Therefore, I think it is rarely the case that people are being "cheated" out of medals.
    Beebee has described your "perverted system of honor" to perfection. Your rationale would have to be one of the most pathetic justifications I have ever read on this board.

Because drug cheats worked their arses off to obtain their ill gotten gains we should give them a free pass? God help us if you are ever allowed to run the justice system. As Beebee says, many criminals and sociopaths worked their arses off as well. Bernie Madoff successfully worked his arse off as well. Let Bernie go. Give him all the money back. Stuff all the people whose lives he ruined.

So where do we start? I know. Ben Johnson, Marion Jones and Lance Armstrong would be a good starting point. Give them their medals back. Apologise. Compensation. I mean let's put this issue to bed and get rid of drug testing once and for all.

Leave a comment:

• beebee
    replied

I think that the clean people winning Olympic medals are the exception rather than the rule. Therefore, I think it is rarely the case that people are being "cheated" out of medals.
    Ok Mr. Black Cloud...you got one perverted system of honor man...and you have nothing to buttress your theory. Oh and btw, I work in Illinois criminal justice system, and the " everyone does it" rationale is quite common among sociopaths.

Leave a comment:

• bruce3404
    replied
    The retroactive medal reassignment just proves how much of a lost cause people are pursuing.
    Lost causes can and should be pursued because right is right. And sometimes those who pursue lost causes come out winning; just ask Vin Lananna.

Leave a comment:

• JumboElliott
    replied

Leave a comment:

• beebee
    replied
    The retroactive medal reassignment just proves how much of a lost cause people are pursuing.
    Don't you have any empathy for people who legitimately worked their asses off but got completely jobbed by cheats?

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Why is that Jumbo? While Val Adams and Adam Nelson would have preferred receiving their gold medals on the Olympic podium late is still a hell of a lot better than never.

Leave a comment:

• JumboElliott
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Well, the Bio-passport does allow some of this retrospective look. I do think that anyone caught cheating should have all prior samples looked at with the modern tools, and in that case you could readily knock out some more cheats.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    My sentiments apply to Barnes, Gatlin and the whole gamut of cheats across the international spectrum. As another example, if it wasn't for a guy from Belarus, and a Belarus compatriot from memory, Val Adams would probably be well on track to challenge the winning streak of Edwin Moses.

Leave a comment:

• JumboElliott
    replied
    There's selective ignorance as to which athletes failed drug tests. Merlene Ottey is considered a legend while Marion Jones is a pariah.

The same is true for Mary Slaney and Regina Jacobs. Slaney is still the bellwether female runner and Jacobs is damaged goods.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    I consider the record to be 2.45 because that is what it is. I don't play Aaronk games. However I would love to have the situation that would have seenhis performances negated because let's face it the guy was a cheat. Was he on PEDs when he did his 2.45m? Or got his gold? Don't know. Don't care. His name on the record books is a blight. Good chance he was on them though.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    So, what do you consider to be the High Jump record? Almost no one here ignores 2.45 but JS is a two-time loser, I think.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
    And I would be very surprised if that rule could ever be enforced - too many legal routes to challenge it. The test reliability would have to be challengable in a court of law, most likely.
    While you may well be right I would love to see someone Coe? Bubba? Bach? Have the guts to try and push through a rule that would negate all results for the 5 years front the date of a positive drug test. I am sure that if all the major countries got together on this in terms of enshrining this in their own legislations it could be achievable. The negation is the punishment and not a declaration that one was on PEDs for the past 5 years. And therefore a greater incentive to not even try PEDs.

Leave a comment:

• bruce3404
    replied
    Guess we'll have to treat such athletes the same as many treat Barry Bonds' home run record....just ignore it/them. Not unlike many of the T&F records from the '80s that still stand.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    And I would be very surprised if that rule could ever be enforced - too many legal routes to challenge it. The test reliability would have to be challengable in a court of law, most likely.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X