Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did swimming get it right?

Even though he didn't qualify through the U.S. trials, FINA is thinking about offering Michael Phelps an "extra spot" at the Worlds

http://news.yahoo.com/fina-could-off...6981--spt.html

"We may give him another status because he's the greatest athlete (in) history," Marculescu said. "We can do whatever. He is the No. 1. He doesn't need the accreditations."

I'd like to see track taking a more proactive stance like that to ensure that the really big names are guaranteed spots in the biggest show.

(i know, I know, it's a slippery slope)

Originally posted by gh View Post
    "We can do whatever."
    Love the idea, but ya gotta laugh at the hubris. "We expect y'all to obey the letter of the law, but we don't, nannie-nannie!"

Comment

Isnt that what the wild card entries are already for?

Comment

Swimming is more 'space constrained' than track and field, and even with proliferation of sorts, that fact that athletes can so easily cover so many events (e.g., Phelps range) means that very few athletes actually get in and fewer have real chances. Add in the slowly growing number of countries with top swimmers along with the two-per country rule and you easily get to the constraint and conflict stage.

What if Bolt made a comeback and did not quite qualify, IAAF/IOC might want to see him in anyway.

Comment

The challenge is to blend the objective and the subjective. I love when the IAAF expanded the WC entries to include defending champions plus the current Diamond League champion. Even though the OG is every 4 years (vs the 2 yrs between WC), I would love to see them do the same. The reigning OC & WC, plus the current DL champions get a free pass to the next OG. That might keep us from going too far down the slope.

Comment

So similar to how Alan Webb was allowed to run at the Olympic trials in 2012 over an athlete that had actually qualified.

Comment

I think the USA Trials for the 2015 Swimming WC were held in 1936 or something. People are getting great times now who were not even born when the Trials were held.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
                So similar to how Alan Webb was allowed to run at the Olympic trials in 2012 over an athlete that had actually qualified.
                Wasn't it Goucher?
                "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post
                  Wasn't it Goucher?
                  After an appeal, Alan Web was accepted with a non qualifying time slower than any other entered athlete in the 5k.

After seeing Webb's successful appeal, Anthony Famiglietti in the steeple had appealed to get into the trials but was denied. (with no real explanation given?)

If I remember, the talk was that Webb was such a great athlete in the past that he deserved to run at trials over every other athlete with a faster time who had been rejected.

Comment

I don't know about swimming, but I believe in T&F even an athlete with an auto entry or invite to a global championship still must qualify for the U.S. Champs and be sanctioned by USATF to represent the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post
                      Wasn't it Goucher?
                      Goucher was the 2008 OT; they let him run the 10k without a qualifying time.

Comment

Of course swimming got it right. Sport is about generating money and the world championships are the venue that both swimming and athletics are able to attract most of the public attention (beside the Olympics of course). As such, these events must include all the athletes that attract attention. For example, there can be a legend free-card that will be given to up to five athletes per championship. The cost of these five athletes (out of the thousands that compete in these championship) is negligible the benefit of having someone like Phelps or Bolt competing is in the millions of dollars. The only "problem" is that US/Jamaica might be represented by more than their quota. So it all boil down to the question: what do we prefer three swimmer that represent the US with Phelps or sticking to the quota religiously?
                        Really no-brainier

Comment

26: Are you saying that a sprinter in swim is not the same as one in T&F? And a distance in swim is not the same as one in T&F?

Comment

On swim swam the equivalent message board website of T&F news for swimming, a lot of posters don't want to see phelps at the worlds.

Comment

Of course, just look at the results - how many athletes are top at the 100, 200, and 400 or 400, 800 and 1500 (or other triples). However, the bigger effect is that the various strokes are vastly more similar than any two track and field different events except the LJ/TJ and sprints/hurdles and those are not as similar. How many win across strokes (and also make the Finals) compared to sprinters that throw the shot or event sprinters that run the hurdles.

Comment

Working...
                              X