Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pichardo 17.94 [58-10¼] [59-3/18.06 in Doha]

#6 all-time, a new Cuban record (no mean feat in the TJ!), and a new May world best (displacing Beckford's 17.92). Link to story on front page.
    Last edited by gh; 05-15-2015, 05:49 PM.

Originally posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    #6 all-time, a new Cuban record (no mean feat in the TJ!), and a new May world best (displacing Beckford's 17.92). Link to story on front page.
    Very impressive, but last year he jumped very far in February (17.74 or something like that) but then did nothing afterwards. I hope he confirms this result next week in Doha.

Comment

No. 6 ever:

1. 18.29 | 60-¼ Jonathan Edwards (Great Britain) 8/07/95

2. 18.09 | 59-4¼ Kenny Harrison (US) 7/27/96

3. 18.04 | 59-2¼ Teddy Tamgho (France) 8/18/13

4. 17.97 | 58-11½ Willie Banks (US) 6/16/85

5. 17.96 | 58-11¼ Christian Taylor (US) 9/04/11

6. 17.94 | 58-10¼ Pedro Pablo Pichardo (Cuba) 5/08/15

7. 17.92 | 58-9½ Khristo Markov (Bulgaria) 8/31/87

7. 17.92 | 58-9½ James Beckford (Jamaica) 5/20/95

9. 17.90 | 58-8¾ Vladimir Inozemtsev (Soviet Union) 6/20/90

9. 17.90 | 58-8¾ Jadel Gregório (Brazil) 5/20/07
      Last edited by gh; 05-09-2015, 10:42 PM.

Comment

I take domestic Cuban and Russian marks with about the same level of seriousness as I take marks from Clermont.

Comment

Speaking of anomalies, can anyone explain beckford's mark? He does it as a blinn sophomore, then proceeds to stop triple jumping and become a good but not great long jumper.
          Any theories as to why he never triple jumped again?

Comment

Beckford had a 52-footer in '98, but you're right, for all intents and purposes he walked away from the event. Interesting question!

Comment

Originally posted by highjumpfan View Post
              Speaking of anomalies, can anyone explain beckford's mark? He does it as a blinn sophomore, then proceeds to stop triple jumping and become a good but not great long jumper.
              Any theories as to why he never triple jumped again?
              I would call Beckford a great long jumper. He jumped over 28 feet and won three international outdoor silvers. In those three silver medal performances, he was beaten by Ivan Pedroso, Carl Lewis, and Dwight Phillips, three of the ten greatest of all time.

If I were to venture to guess, Beckford wanted to win a gold medal, and he felt that he'd have a better chance of winning a gold medal in the long jump he would at beating Jonathan Edwards.

Comment

Back on Pichardo's mark, unless there were other solid jumps in his comp, or some other weekend marks not yet picked up by the main stats sites, it would seem he currently leads the 2015 outdoor list by 99 cms!!

Comment

In the same meet, LJer Maykel Massó (aged 16 years, 1 day) jumped 812, moving to =3rd on the all-time world youth list. The wind reading seems to have been the same as for Pichardo's jump... ±0.0.

Comment

Were there any wind values from the jumps in that meet?

Comment

His series was 17.34/0.0 - 17.52/-1.7 - 17.94/0.0 and 3 passes

Comment

There is no doubt in my mind that he's one of the top-4 in the event at the moment, along with Claye, Taylor and Tamgho, with Compaoré heading up the next tranche of jumpers.

Comment

He disappeared in 2014, but jumped well abroad in 2013. Wonder if he was injured or considered a flight risk?

Comment

Does Cuba send security along with the team like the Russians used to?

Comment

Bloody hell, 18.06m for Pichardo.

Comment

Working...
                              X