X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kevinsdad
    replied
    Originally posted by booond View Post
    She was sick indoors, I don't know what she had but they canceled her season. That may have put her behind training or not. I don't know.

She's run 3 times in the past month; none have been to the level of 2013/2014, especially her race last week. There is nothing in her recent performances which suggests that continual racing will make it go better. She doesn't seem to be in the right fitness - physically, or, possibly, mentally.
    She appears on the american women's indoor lists in four events for this year, 600,800,1000, and 1500/mile, so she had at the very least four indoor races, plus the three recent 1500's for a minimum of seven 2015 races, with substantially diminishing results. It's obvious that whatever her problems are they do not include under-racing,

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied
    Originally posted by oldvaulter
    I know when she competes, which is practically never, and that's what I commented on. I also know that when she was competing frequently, she was performing much better and more consistently.
    She was sick indoors, I don't know what she had but they canceled her season. That may have put her behind training or not. I don't know.

She's run 3 times in the past month; none have been to the level of 2013/2014, especially her race last week. There is nothing in her recent performances which suggests that continual racing will make it go better. She doesn't seem to be in the right fitness - physically, or, possibly, mentally.

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied
    Originally posted by oldvaulter
    Resting (from competition) is practically all she does -- she hardly ever competes. That's what's not working.
    How much do you know of her situation? Do you speak with her regularly? Do you watch her workouts?

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    No mention of anything yet, but maybe she'll be in some "B" race at Pre---maybe on the Friday night session.
    That would be embarrassing for her, but better than no race at all!
    Maybe not. I agree with booond. If it ain't working, give it a rest.

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied
    Originally posted by guru View Post
    Worth noting - no Cain at Pre

1500 METERS
    Sifan HASSAN NED
    Jenny SIMPSON USA
    Shannon ROWBURY USA
    Axumawit EMBAYE ETH
    Laura WEIGHTMAN GBR
    Maryam Yusuf JAMAL BRN
    Renata PLIŚ POL
    Treniere MOSER USA
    Hannah ENGLAND GBR
    Zoe BUCKMAN AUS
    Alexa EFRAIMSON USA
    Emma COBURN USA
    Not shocking. Something's not working and no reason to keep hitting your head against the wall. Better to step back and take a different tack.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    No mention of anything yet, but maybe she'll be in some "B" race at Pre---maybe on the Friday night session.
    That would be embarrassing for her, but better than no race at all!

But for right now, at least, I'd have to say Efraimson has taken over as the star Pro girl teen on the American scene!

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    I've been a huge Mary Cain fan for a long time, and I still am. But I must confess that I'm worried. Something isn't right and I don't know what that is. booond mentioned that she's living away from home for the first time. Add the fact that she's now presumably working with Salazar in person much more than she did when he was coaching her from afar. I don't expect that college is challenging her academically, but it is different. And of course, it's just possible that she's had injury issues she hasn't been able to shake quickly.

I do hope that whatever the problem or problems she may have, it/they are soon behind her. But again, in the meantime I'm worried. I wish her well. At her best, there is nobody more exciting these days. I want to see that excitement return. The sooner the better.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Worth noting - no Cain at Pre

1500 METERS
    Sifan HASSAN NED
    Jenny SIMPSON USA
    Shannon ROWBURY USA
    Axumawit EMBAYE ETH
    Laura WEIGHTMAN GBR
    Maryam Yusuf JAMAL BRN
    Renata PLIŚ POL
    Treniere MOSER USA
    Hannah ENGLAND GBR
    Zoe BUCKMAN AUS
    Alexa EFRAIMSON USA
    Emma COBURN USA

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by booond View Post
    Early phenom burnout at her level - possibly at any level - is almost a myth. Very few young American women have run as fast as she has at her age. Those who did - Decker, Gallagher, Larrieu - succeeded.

Mary Cain has already run at the WC and was WJC 3000 meter Champion last year.

She is 19, away from home the first time, and has to balance school and a career. Let's wait until she's 25 before we bury her career.
    And a big hallelujah to that. And the same applies to all these young brilliant athletes like Mary Cain, Jacko Gill and others who all of a sudden have what is considered a down year because of our expectations from their earlier exploits.

Mary Cain clearly has the talent and ability to go under 4:00 for the 1500m. Will she get there? Who knows. I hope so. But what we don't need is the poisonous drivel and ravings of her previously most outspoken promoter and supporter.

Leave a comment:

• highjumpfan
    replied
    Chanelle Price, same story, except she won world indoors.

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    For what it is worth, I'll remind people of Mary Saxer. Stellar HS career. Complete bust in College. Then a great pro career.

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied
    Early phenom burnout at her level - possibly at any level - is almost a myth. Very few young American women have run as fast as she has at her age. Those who did - Decker, Gallagher, Larrieu - succeeded.

Mary Cain has already run at the WC and was WJC 3000 meter Champion last year.

She is 19, away from home the first time, and has to balance school and a career. Let's wait until she's 25 before we bury her career.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    I truly feel the bare-bones racing schedule Salazar has had her on since she left high school competition has really stunted her development. She seemed to be at her best when she was racing on a regular schedule, and regardless of how much speedwork she may be doing in training it's not the same, especially for a young, emerging talent. Now folks may point to Rupp and Hasay as examples of how Salazar's vision has worked well, and that would be true. However, it's important to remember both also had collegiate careers.

But I will reserve judgement until we see what happens next month, and the rest of this season. Certainly no 1500 PR, at the very least, for the 2nd consecutive year would be an ominous sign indeed.

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    started a topic Mary Cain. [back to New York?]

Mary Cain. [back to New York?]

After reading all the feedback re: Mary Cain after her lackluster 1500m race at the Oxy High Performance meet, I wanted to ad my own thoughts in a new thread.

I'm hoping she will figure out w/ Coach Salazar's help what's going on this year and steadily get back to her previous form. But she may be another case of the early phenom burnout. Watching her now, it's hard to believe that she has run under 2:00.0 and 4:05.00 and been in world class competition. There's a real possibility we will never see that again.
    Last edited by gh; 05-27-2015, 06:50 PM.
Working...
X