X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aaronk
    replied
    She has two upcoming meets.
    Something with "AIT" in the name---never heard of it before.
    And a biggie---Glasgow!!
    Both in the 1500.

Hoping she proves her recent 4:20 was a one-off!
    A one-WAY off!!
    LOL

P.S. Does anyone know anything about that AIT meet?
    There's a scattering of other "names" in it.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by AyZiggy View Post
    Same here. Right around that time, I went when my suburban metroplex got rented out by the local swim club to show "Touch the Wall", a documentary on Missy Franklin and Kara Lynn Joyce. Franklin famously competed for her high school team and now does so at Cal, which is even more ridiculous than Cain doing that even at her best. My analysis is that it keeps Franklin grounded and her spirits up. With every passing year I more firmly believe that if you ignore the mental and emotional side of sports, then you're playing with fire.
    I think you can change your quote to "ignore the mental and emotional side of life" which may be the or, at least, an issue with Ms. Cain.

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied
    Originally posted by AyZiggy View Post
    Franklin famously competed for her high school team and now does so at Cal, which is even more ridiculous than Cain doing that even at her best. My analysis is that it keeps Franklin grounded and her spirits up.
    Not to ruin the narrative but Franklin left Cal and her club coach said, "It just wasn't the same confidence she had before," said Schmitz, who began coaching Franklin with the Colorado Stars when she was 7. "Missy's never been cocky, but she's been confident, and I didn't see that, even in the NCAAs. She swam really well, but I didn't see the same kind of fire that I used to see. That's what my goal was, to rekindle that. I knew, having coached Missy so long, that if she truly is having fun and believes in herself, then the sky's the limit."

Of course he has his own agenda but in hius mind her spirits were down.

Leave a comment:

• AyZiggy
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    I agree (and i said the same thing at the time... i think!)
    Same here. Right around that time, I went when my suburban metroplex got rented out by the local swim club to show "Touch the Wall", a documentary on Missy Franklin and Kara Lynn Joyce. Franklin famously competed for her high school team and now does so at Cal, which is even more ridiculous than Cain doing that even at her best. My analysis is that it keeps Franklin grounded and her spirits up. With every passing year I more firmly believe that if you ignore the mental and emotional side of sports, then you're playing with fire.

Leave a comment:

• mump boy
    replied
    Originally posted by guru View Post
    She was a 16 year-old teenage sensation. She is not a 19 year-old teenage sensation...

By the way, why does her website say she has the American Junior record for 800m?
    She will always be a teenage sensation she just now happens to be 19 !!

Leave a comment:

• Master Po
    replied
    Interesting to do 'what might have been' with an athlete who is still 19yo. I am not criticizing anyone for this impulse, as I am about to contribute -- without "what if", discussions of sports would be severely limited.

In any case, I will "what if" Ms. Cain's 2015 season bests, as if she had run those times as a university freshman athlete. Her 2015 season was a 'down' season for an 18-19 year old athlete only because she had somehow graced us with several excellent seasons prior to 2015 (I include 2014 in the 'excellent' group, though I realize others see that year differently.) So, what if she had gone the university route, and run as an NCAA athlete indoor and outdoor in 2015, and what if she had turned in 2:02.75 indoors, and 4:31.31 indoors? The former would have been the collegiate leader (by a hair, over Natoya Goule), and the latter would have been collegiate #3 (behind Colleen Quigley and Shelby Houlihan). Outdoors, her 4:09.08 would have been the collegiate leader, by a couple of seconds. So, not up to her HS levels, but a pretty good year for a college frosh.

I try to say this every time I post about Ms. Cain: I wish her well. She seems to have a good head on her shoulders, and a good support system. Her talents are going through a period of transition. And even though we are quick to note 'how many teen phenoms don't transition to senior-level success', when you look at the all-time HS lists on which Ms. Cain appears, there are quite a few women who went on to a lot of success beyond those HS lists. It does happen -- both outcomes happen.

What I have enjoyed most about watching her -- on the track and in interviews -- over the past few years, is how much she seemed to be enjoying herself -- very direct in expressing the pleasure of competition and being out there. If she is not enjoying it now, I hope she and those who support her have the presence of mind to give her the space to take a break from the sport, if that might be what she prefers. Were she a collegiate athlete, having some sort of difficulties, she might be 'red-shirted' at some point.
    Last edited by Master Po; 02-09-2016, 12:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    The 'waiting a year' would have had exactly the same result - she would have gone pro after that year.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    Add me to the "told you sos"

Leave a comment:

• cubehead
    replied
    'The one issue I mention is that of a social one. One advantage to going to college is an immediate grouping of friends and acquaintances for a college freshman or one of a college freshman age. I have no idea what kind of support system might have been in place with NOP. I can't imagine they have a stable full of 18 year olds for Mary Cain to hang around with. It couldn't have been very comfortable for her and that can play a big role in her entire life.'

This is what I meant above. My nieces and nephew all enjoyed their time at D1. One of them is a freshman at Wake Forest and is having a great experience.

Meanwhile Cain only a year older is on her own now from what that race in Germany apparently showed.
    Last edited by cubehead; 02-08-2016, 11:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    I recall at least some opinion that a collegiate career would not do her any good competition wise because she'd overwhelm her collegiate competition. At the time she was a 1:59/4:05/8:58 runner who I think most fans would have thought she'd improve and be already way ahead of the college women.

The one issue I mention is that of a social one. One advantage to going to college is an immediate grouping of friends and acquaintances for a college freshman or one of a college freshman age. I have no idea what kind of support system might have been in place with NOP. I can't imagine they have a stable full of 18 year olds for Mary Cain to hang around with. It couldn't have been very comfortable for her and that can play a big role in her entire life.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    She could have run "professional" races, but still retained her college eligibility by not signing a contract. Best of both worlds, while hedging against developmental stagnation(as unlikely as it might have seemed at the time)

Leave a comment:

• cubehead
    replied
    Skipping what was left of her high school career seemed nutty at the time, considering the large number of excellent high school girls peaking as freshmen and sophomores.
    Last edited by cubehead; 02-08-2016, 09:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    The smart thing would have been for her to retain her "amateur" status until she finished high school, then make the pro decision. Considering her family's financial status she certainly didnt need the money, and it would have given another year+ to determine if her developmental trajectory truly suggested skipping college competition and going straight to the professional grind. But, what's done is done...

Leave a comment:

• cubehead
    replied
    Originally posted by tm71 View Post
    Mary Cain will be to us womens distance running what Freddy Adu was for us men's soccer. Peaked too early and succumbed to the enormous media pressure!
    She should have just gone to college. After all 4:20 in a college meet would be respectable. She wouldn't have had a Nike contract, but I suspect she would have had a lot more fun. But here she is, alone in Europe.

But Alberto, like some Hollywood agent, promised to make her a Star!
    Last edited by cubehead; 02-08-2016, 07:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X