Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Duncan View Post
    All I've got to say is that because of her entry into the big time a couple of years ago, she became the biggest star for many of us in the US who follow middle distances. I can't remember when the last time such genuine excitement was generated for many of us and she is one helluva tough act to follow.
    I was more excited to see Jenny Simpson winning the World title than anything Cain has done. But maybe I am too weird.

Comment

I don't remember what race it was or who she beat but my favorite all-time post race quote by an athlete when asked about her strategy and thoughts in the race to the finish is Mary Cain's, "..I just ran like an animal."

Comment

For those who might be sitting on an irrational rant or two which need to be expunged from the system:

Oregon Project coach Alberto Salazar said Cain has returned to her home in Bronxville, New York, where she is continuing to train. He said they remain in communication, and she still is a team member.
        http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfi...l#incart_river

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
          For those who might be sitting on an irrational rant or two which need to be expunged from the system:

Not shocking. Something isn't working in Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Fasten that seat belt low and tight....REAL tight!
            Last edited by DrJay; 05-27-2015, 06:25 PM.

Comment

We don't know everything that is going on in her life outside of track. It's entirely possible that she just needs a change of climate, for whatever reason, and that she will return to Oregon at some point a new person and a new athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by booond View Post
                Not shocking. Something isn't working in Oregon.

Agree with both points.

The problem is Salazar. Their working relationship was effective when there was another coach, and 3000 miles, as a buffer. Up close and personal my guess is Salazar is not the easiest guy to run for, especially if you're a girl fresh out of high school.

Will be interesting to see what happens going forward.
                There are no strings on me

Comment

Let's hope she finds a stable situation, back with Salazar or elsewhere, and doesn't pull an Alan Webb and move all over the place, coach to coach to coach.

Comment

I'm not an Alberto Salazar fan, but to say that he's the problem in the absence of evidence is ridiculous.

Comment

Looks like a no-win situation for AlSal.

If she does well, people will say she needed to get away from him.
                      If she does poorly, people will say he wrecked her.

What does this do for her enrollment in UP (she was attending classes, yes/no) ?

Comment

Originally posted by JumboElliott View Post
                        I'm not an Alberto Salazar fan, but to say that he's the problem in the absence of facts is ridiculous.

Here's a fact - when she was in New York, doing Salazar's workouts under guidance of a local coach, the plan worked well. In Oregon, not so much.

And for those who want to talk about the pressures and such of being a new pro, juggling college and the demands of the sport, well Ajee Wilson seems to be doing just fine.
                        There are no strings on me

Comment

Lotsa speculation here... how many of us left home after high school and ended up back home again after a year or less?

And what affected our physical performance at that age and in those circumstances?

I can think of a few variables beyond coach/athlete/training issues... minor things like living conditions, emotional growth, friends (lack of them or too many of them) and social life, homesickness, hormones and body changes, economic factors (like the stress of being a professional athlete straight out of 12th grade.)

And in my case (but not implying anything about Cain nor anyone else) beer, sex, drugs, rock'n'roll and a complete lack of mature decision making!

None of us know any specifics and, really, bearing in mind that she is still a very young woman in the uncomfortable glare of the public spotlight, we should remember that it's Mary Cain's business and not ours.

Comment

Originally posted by jc203 View Post
                            Lotsa speculation here... how many of us left home after high school and ended up back home again after a year or less?
                            The key words in your question are "ended up". A summer break is not the end. To answer your question, I imagine that most of us who left home to go to college returned home after our freshman year. And most of us then went right back to college for our sophomore year. She's now back with her family for the summer break. Until she fails to go back to school in Portland for the fall semester, would say this is a non-story.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                              Until she fails to go back to school in Portland for the fall semester, would say this is a non-story.
                              If the plan was her to go home all summer then it's a non-story. Do we know this?

Comment

Insufficient data.

Comment

Working...
                                X