X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tm71
    replied
    Originally posted by guru View Post
    She was a 16 year-old teenage sensation. She is not a 19 year-old teenage sensation...

By the way, why does her website say she has the American Junior record for 800m?
    Mary Cain will be to us womens distance running what Freddy Adu was for us men's soccer. Peaked too early and succumbed to the enormous media pressure!

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by mump boy View Post
    It makes no sense for a 19 year old teenage sensation in this kind of form to be racing at all.

She was a 16 year-old teenage sensation. She is not a 19 year-old teenage sensation...

By the way, why does her website say she has the American Junior record for 800m?

Leave a comment:

• Bob Duncan
    replied
    Originally posted by cubehead View Post
    Just watched the race on BEIN sports. She looked rather sad. All by herself after 3 laps.

Oh well. Not the first star to peak in high school.
    She had to have been upset. Probably her worst race since she went pro. BeIN barely even showed her during the race, as she pretty much went straight to the back. I don't believe they even mentioned her name. At the end, I was wondering whether she was DNF.

Anyone else notice that she looks a bit taller?

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Concur 100%.
    aaronk, I'm glad you don't care what anyone else says about your obsession, just as long as you understand that it is one.
    When I used to post about Stacy Dragila, it was always obviously tongue-in-cheek (though some failed to see that), but your posts never come across that way.
    And now you understand why I MUCH prefer to blog my knowledge and opinions than to give them here!
    As to YOUR statement, I can't stop laughing!!

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by Master Po View Post
    I wish Ms. Cain well with whatever she does. I have great appreciation for the career she has had so far, wherever it may go from here, this season or beyond, or whatever.
    Concur 100%.
    aaronk, I'm glad you don't care what anyone else says about your obsession, just as long as you understand that it is one.
    When I used to post about Stacy Dragila, it was always obviously tongue-in-cheek (though some failed to see that), but your posts never come across that way.

Leave a comment:

• Master Po
    replied
    gh wrote earlier, "we have no idea if there was any sponsor involvement in the decision, but whoever decided it, it makes sense, to go to a meet where the press isn't going to be hounding you, and there's no particular expectation for you to run a fast time."

I agree with this in part -- what little track & field press there is in the USA was of course not in Germany for this meet; but there is one part with which I disagree -- that is, on the other hand, those places where this athlete is discussed -- such as this place and Letsrun -- are certainly discussing her in a variety of appreciative, analytical, and critical ways. I would suggest these discussions have part of their impetus not despite the fact that she went to Europe to run a 1500, but rather because she went to Europe to run a 1500 at a higher level of quality than she might have run nearer to home. I think some of the expectations were -- because she went to Germany to race, she was perhaps in better condition than her previous 9:23 had suggested, or her 4:20 told us. But all of this is a matter of interpretation, of course.

mump also said this: "It makes sense to stay at home, train, hang out, enjoy yourself and concentrate on what's important. It makes no sense for a 19 year old teenage sensation in this kind of form to be racing at all."

I agree with this 100%.

I wish Ms. Cain well with whatever she does. I have great appreciation for the career she has had so far, wherever it may go from here, this season or beyond, or whatever.

Leave a comment:

• mump boy
    replied
    Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    I've withheld my opinions here, mainly because of the "reputation" bestowed on me by some----people----on this board in the past about my "interest" in Cain.
    In my newest blog post (out earlier today, with all the latest results!), I wrote a brief paragraph about her Karlsruhe race, and about her.

Basically, it comes to this.
    There is SOMEthing wrong with her.
    It could be physical.
    It could be mental.
    By "mental", I mean her being depressed, or in a state of apathy and lethargy, NOT a disease like being bi-polar!

I've long held the opinion that she must leave Alberto!
    She was alright until then.
    Even Alberto said---a couple of years ago---that "I didn't make her. She was already made!".
    Meaning that she already had EVERYthing needed to be the superstar she became BEFORE Alberto started training her, and "improving" her form.
    She was breaking records (the 4:11.01 took down Hasay's HSR by 3.49!!), winning races, and was happy.

You can't blame it on being away from home anymore.
    She made a good decision to return to NY last year.
    She has TWO great venues to race in---The Armory and the Ocean Breeze---not to mention Boston's venues not too far away.
    No need to travel to Karlsruhe!

Her "deterioration" began after she'd been training in Portland with NOP for a year or more.
    Before that, whatever successes she had (her entire 2013 season, her indoor 2014 year, and to an extent, her outdoor 2014 campaign) could be attributed more to momentum than to anything Alberto did for her!
    Or to natural teenage progression.
    She was on a fast-rising curve---until she became immersed in Alberto's insane training methods!
    Whether it's been "good" for others (Rupp, Farah) or not, it has NOT been good for Cain!!

She needs to stop for a minute, and rethink her future.
    Does she really WANT to be great--to go to the Olympics (whether Rio or in 2020 and beyond), and to break records?
    Where---and most importantly!---with WHOM!!---is she happiest?
    Her family?
    Her boyfriend?
    Her old HS coaches?

She LOVES training and racing at The Armory.
    It's like "home" to her, she's said.
    So I think she should quit NOP, return to her HS coach (or someone else of her choosing---maybe Mark Coogan??), and start all over again---even taking a few months off, doing nothing but schoolwork at Fordham, going out with friends, LIVING!!

Then get back to work--to become who she was meant to be!

That's my opinion---and I don't give a crap what you call me or think of me for saying it!
    I've got my blog---where I treat Mary with the same eye and mindset I treat all other "elite" athletes.

I wish her the best.
    All of this ^^^

Leave a comment:

• mump boy
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    we have no idea if there was any sponsor involvement in the decision, but whoever decided it, it makes sense, to go to a meet where the press isn't going to be hounding you, and there's no particular expectation for you to run a fast time.
    It makes sense to stay at home, train, hang out, enjoy yourself and concentrate on what's important. It makes no sense for a 19 year old teenage sensation in this kind of form to be racing at all.

Leave a comment:

• cubehead
    replied
    Just watched the race on BEIN sports. She looked rather sad. All by herself after 3 laps.

Oh well. Not the first star to peak in high school.

Leave a comment:

• odelltrclan
    replied
    Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    I wish her the best.
    Are you sure you know the answer to that? Only she does and it may ultimately turn out not to have anything to do with track or running. We have all seen many high school athletes become burned out and move on to something different. It may not be the answer fans want, but she may not have the desire she once had and move on to something else in life that she feels is "meant" for her to do. Power to her whatever she chooses. She already has accomplished more than most who lace up the shoes ever did or ever will.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    I wish her the best as well but there doesn't necessarily need to anyone to "blame" and there also may not be an answer.

Some on this board suggested caution in expectations for her future as there are examples of, at least anectodetly, some HS phenom distance types who did little in college. Cain may just simply more of a higher profile example. A LOT changes from 16 to 20.
    Last edited by NotDutra5; 02-07-2016, 07:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    I've withheld my opinions here, mainly because of the "reputation" bestowed on me by some----people----on this board in the past about my "interest" in Cain.
    In my newest blog post (out earlier today, with all the latest results!), I wrote a brief paragraph about her Karlsruhe race, and about her.

Basically, it comes to this.
    There is SOMEthing wrong with her.
    It could be physical.
    It could be mental.
    By "mental", I mean her being depressed, or in a state of apathy and lethargy, NOT a disease like being bi-polar!

I've long held the opinion that she must leave Alberto!
    She was alright until then.
    Even Alberto said---a couple of years ago---that "I didn't make her. She was already made!".
    Meaning that she already had EVERYthing needed to be the superstar she became BEFORE Alberto started training her, and "improving" her form.
    She was breaking records (the 4:11.01 took down Hasay's HSR by 3.49!!), winning races, and was happy.

You can't blame it on being away from home anymore.
    She made a good decision to return to NY last year.
    She has TWO great venues to race in---The Armory and the Ocean Breeze---not to mention Boston's venues not too far away.
    No need to travel to Karlsruhe!

Her "deterioration" began after she'd been training in Portland with NOP for a year or more.
    Before that, whatever successes she had (her entire 2013 season, her indoor 2014 year, and to an extent, her outdoor 2014 campaign) could be attributed more to momentum than to anything Alberto did for her!
    Or to natural teenage progression.
    She was on a fast-rising curve---until she became immersed in Alberto's insane training methods!
    Whether it's been "good" for others (Rupp, Farah) or not, it has NOT been good for Cain!!

She needs to stop for a minute, and rethink her future.
    Does she really WANT to be great--to go to the Olympics (whether Rio or in 2020 and beyond), and to break records?
    Where---and most importantly!---with WHOM!!---is she happiest?
    Her family?
    Her boyfriend?
    Her old HS coaches?

She LOVES training and racing at The Armory.
    It's like "home" to her, she's said.
    So I think she should quit NOP, return to her HS coach (or someone else of her choosing---maybe Mark Coogan??), and start all over again---even taking a few months off, doing nothing but schoolwork at Fordham, going out with friends, LIVING!!

That's my opinion---and I don't give a crap what you call me or think of me for saying it!
    I've got my blog---where I treat Mary with the same eye and mindset I treat all other "elite" athletes.

I wish her the best.

Leave a comment:

• cubehead
    replied
    Mump this isn't the UK where some still follow track. And it's Super Bowl weekend. The color of Cam Newton's shoe laces will be infinitely more important than Mary Cain's whereabouts...

As gh noted, 10 to 1 she just wanted to run somewhere unnoticed by the letsrun crowd.
    Last edited by cubehead; 02-07-2016, 07:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Why would your sponsor force you to travel half way round the world
    From New York to northern Europe is half way round the world? Not much longer a trip than going to LA.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Why would your sponsor force you to travel half way round the world to compete in a competition of no consequence where you come next to last ??

What good has that done to the Mary Cain or Nike brand
    we have no idea if there was any sponsor involvement in the decision, but whoever decided it, it makes sense, to go to a meet where the press isn't going to be hounding you, and there's no particular expectation for you to run a fast time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X