X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
    If Candace Hill disappoints, I don't think any more 16 and 17 year olds will be getting pro contracts for the next decade.
    Nah, each kid is different. Hope springs eternal in the Shoeman's breast.

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    Not really.... Cain was already way in the doldrums when they signed Candace Hill to a record deal, for example.
    Back then, her decline could plausibly be attributed to being a kid living thousands of miles from home. Now, not so much.

If Candace Hill disappoints, I don't think any more 16 and 17 year olds will be getting pro contracts for the next decade.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by mump boy View Post
    Why would your sponsor force you to travel half way round the world to compete in a competition of no consequence where you come next to last ??

What good has that done to the Mary Cain or Nike brand
    I'll go out on a limb and suspect that the sponsor who "forced" her to go overseas didn't expect the performance she put forth.

Look....there's no telling what's going on with this....still...kid. She may be running workouts which indicate a much better performance. She may not. She may be disinterested. She may be hurt, sick or otherwise not physically up to solid performances. This isn't particularly unusual for mid teens to put up performance which indicate a tremendous future only to suddenly lose it during their first couple of years in college. Cain just did so at a higher level and higher profile.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    What does that even mean ? There are lots of things i could do but it does't mean i do, i want to or i should !!
    She can get into a meet whether it's because of sponsor or past performance. So she can.

Leave a comment:

• mump boy
    replied
    Why would your sponsor force you to travel half way round the world to compete in a competition of no consequence where you come next to last ??

What good has that done to the Mary Cain or Nike brand

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Not really.... Cain was already way in the doldrums when they signed Candace Hill to a record deal, for example.

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Shoe companies are going to be thinking longer and harder before they sign the next teenager still in high school.

Leave a comment:

• Master Po
    replied
    I don't know -- which is what I have in common with everyone else on this thread -- but she is a Nike athlete, and that may mean she has contractual obligations or incentives. Perhaps this was one such obligation. Perhaps everyone involved -- her included -- thought that 9:23 (with slowing splits) was a fluke, or a rust-buster, or a performance in some context of training that was not any cause to pause. In any case, because she did go over there and run, the 9:23 must not have seemed to indicate to anyone involved that stepping up to a much higher level meet in Europe might be ill-advised. But it is one way to assess one's fitness.

Leave a comment:

• player
    replied
    Cain is under contract to an employer who tells her what to do. The employer wanted an evaluation of what they are paying for and now they have it.

And if you want to continue the "why" game by asking why go to Europe, the cost doesn't matter to Nike. That was the plan to prepare for World Indoor. And, as it turns out, there's actually a certain advantage to having the race overseas rather than in New York, which would result in much more unpleasant press coverage.
    Last edited by player; 02-07-2016, 01:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mump boy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Because she can....at least at the moment.

Backs up her 3000 from a week or so ago.
    What does that even mean ? There are lots of things i could do but it does't mean i do, i want to or i should !!

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Shouldn't that be 'down'?
    I'm still a Mary fan, but she doesn't have it right now.
    up or down she is not the same athlete we saw a few years ago and she appears to be moving in the opposite direction she'd likely prefer.

She was not remotely competitive today. Off the back after maybe 600m
    Last edited by NotDutra5; 02-06-2016, 11:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Backs up her 3000
    Shouldn't that be 'down'?
    I'm still a Mary fan, but she doesn't have it right now.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    CAIN, Mary USA 4:20.73

Why is she competing in european indoor meets in this kind of form ??
    Because she can....at least at the moment.

Backs up her 3000 from a week or so ago.

Leave a comment:

• mump boy
    replied
    CAIN, Mary USA 4:20.73

Why is she competing in european indoor meets in this kind of form ??

Leave a comment:

• donley2
    replied
    Originally posted by player View Post
    For those who might want to set their DVRs, the Karlsruhe meet will be replayed tonight on beIN TV channel from 11 pm - 1 am EST.

Can be seen live on beIN Connect (for those who can access) from 1:45-3:30 pm EST .
    Thanks for that. I had my old DVR set up to record pretty much anything labelled track and field, but my new one does not seem to be doing that quite so well now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X