Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Wariner follow Gatlin to the pros..?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Wariner follow Gatlin to the pros..?

Jeremy Wariner is clearly a man among boys. He runs 44 at will, and basically wins at will, is it time to take the next step?

Re: Should Wariner follow Gatlin to the pros..?

Webb yes - Wariner no. Now's not the right time. If this were 2003, I'd say maybe and go whole hog for the OG, but too late.

Comment

I say No. He's young (20), needs some time to mature, both mentally and physically, and the college environment will give him a fair amount of stability. Plus he's at a great school, has a great coach, and some very good training partners. The best is yet to come from that young man.

Comment

If he runs 44.0 at the trials, then why not?

Comment

I with you on this one. Baylor within the last 10 years and seemed to be the home of the 400m. Wariner should not forget who has helped him get to this level and stay to enjoy his collegiate experience. He is young and if he has been dealt the correct cards his body will mature into that truly consistent world class athlete.

Comment

>I with you on this one. Baylor within the last 10 years and seemed to be the
            >home of the 400m. Wariner should not forget who has helped him get to this
            >level and stay to enjoy his collegiate experience. He is young and if he has
            >been dealt the correct cards his body will mature into that truly consistent
            >world class athlete.

But how many of the many of Baylor's great college runners have had pro careers of any length? If Wariner runs close to 44.0 he should get out while the getting is good, otherwise he'll be another Baylor burn out.

Comment

>>I with you on this one. Baylor within the last 10 years and seemed to be
              >the
              >home of the 400m. Wariner should not forget who has helped him get to
              >this
              >level and stay to enjoy his collegiate experience. He is young and if
              >he has
              >been dealt the correct cards his body will mature into that truly
              >consistent
              >world class athlete.

But how many of the many of Baylor's great
              >college runners have had pro careers of any length? If Wariner runs close to
              >44.0 he should get out while the getting is good, otherwise he'll be another
              >Baylor burn out.>>>>

Hmmm..........

.....there's a name......
              ....on the ....tip....of my....
              ..tongue...

Michael Jackson.....

or somehing like that.

Comment

MJ aside, I think Baylor has a pretty high burn-out rate. (As do most schools, but my emprical observation is that theirs is higher in fact its higher in terms of guys who are hotshit during the relay season and crap out at NCs)

Comment

If he can win an Olympic medal, or even make the Olympic final, then he would be crazy not to go Pro. If he does not make the Olympic final, then he should not waste his time.

People don't understand that just because somebody ran a fast time in college does not mean that these shoe companies are going to give them a fat contract. At least not in the sprints. How many people do you know of that have run 44? Dang near everybody. But how many of them have made the finals at world championships or Olympics? See what I'm saying. The Professional level is another world and ther is so much more business involved.

There are so many athletes that think they are going to get a fat contract because they ran fast in college. Doesn't work like that. Right now Jeremy has no expenses and is basically being taken care of (scholarship). If he goes pro, there is no gaurentee that he will be making a whole lot of money. Therefore there is a financial struggle.

In my opinion, he has the potential to be one of the great ones, just like all the other 400 meter runners that have run 44. But without any world Championship or Olympic performance, he will be struggling like many other athletes on that level.

I hope there is SOMEONE one here that knows agents and pro athletes that can back me on this.

Comment

This is true, in regards to Baylor guys who didn't do much out of school (Marlon Ramsey, Deon Minor, Brandon Couts), but again, I see this as akin to the "problem" with Arkansas guys who don't run faster post-collegiately. The Baylor tradition and prestige associated with carrying the stick for the Bears at Drake and Texas is probably hard to match in a post collegiate environment, unless you are at the very top of the game, like MJ was, and Jeremy/Darold look like they will be.

Comment

For an analogy think of the bevy of Nebraska footballers who are collegiate allamericans but don't do squat in the pros (Disclaimer, I do not have an affiliation somewhre else in the Big 8--or 12 or whateverelsethefuckitisthesedays--just calling it as I see it.)

Comment

>MJ aside, I think Baylor has a pretty high burn-out rate. (As do most schools, but my emprical observation is that theirs is higher in fact its higher in terms of guys who are hotshit during the relay season and crap out at NCs)<

Your point and observations are well taken. I just personally believe, based on life experience, that the odds are against a 20 yr. old young man being able to stay focused, and committed to the rigourous, day to day training required of an elite 400m runner. There are too many variables. I definitely think Jeremy has the potential, and the ability. I just think the "burn out" stuff can be attributed to other factors, as opposed to college training/season. Financial considerations, injuries, the family/peer support base to stay focused and centered, all play an integral part to succeeding at the elite level. I don't think one can generally equate "burn out" with the college environment.

Comment

Amen!

Comment

Bill Hartson, you my friend, have been around. You're post is one hundred point zero, zero, zero percent on the mark.

Comment

He is also an American citizen, so he will have the toughest task of any athlete in the world(making the deepest 400 team in the world). Also sponorship deals are harder to come by because of this. If he were from a country that hardly produces a 400 metre talent I suspect sponsors would be all over him too.

Comment

Working...
                              X