Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christophe Lemaitre

Does anyone have any news on Lemaitre? I assume he's still with his old coach (Pierrot Carraz)? His career hasn't gone anywhere since 2011. He is still just 25 years of age, but somehow I feel he's wasting his best years. Cristophe Lemaitre's yearly progression in 100 and 200 metres for past 5 seasons:

100 metres:
    2010 9.97 sec
    2011 9.92 sec (PB)
    2012 10.04 sec
    2013 10.00
    2014 10.10
    2015 10.16 (so far this season)

200 metres
    2010 20.16 sec
    2011 19.80 sec (PB)
    2012 19.91 sec
    2013 20.07 sec
    2014 20.08 sec

Doesn't seem like progression pattern of a sprinter just starting to reach his peak at 25. I don't understand the decline in his times, isn't he focused enough to sprinting? Is it that he and his coach haven't come up with anything new? Or has he really already at 25 reached the hight of his career?
    Last edited by Kuntoilija; 05-22-2015, 08:01 PM.

Still with the same coach, yes.

TBH I don't really know what happened to him. Many people talked about his start, but I think it's more complicated than that. He was put under a lot of pressure being the "fastest white guy in the world" and it may have taken its toll but I really don't know...
    He's running though.

Comment

No matter how fast he goes individually, as long as he's an active runner, he'll be a VERY important leg of the French 4X100 relay team!
      And with the WC and OG coming up, I assume he'll continue to run!

Comment

He was studying for an engineering degree. I read that in 2013 he was taking a pause from university in order to focus on training, but I don't know if he's gone back to studying.

Comment

It has nothing to do with coaching.. Heres my theory on it..

Take a look at chris.. From head to toe.... Do you notice how lanky and thin he is or not?

This is going to continue for chris unless he takes the initiative to get to the gym and get stronger and bigger...

This is what happens to athletes when they refuse to lift heavier weights.. They dont improve..

If he wants to get faster then hes going to have to work for it in the gym.. hes going to actually have to build some quad and shoulder muscles...

Then maybe he will get faster.

Comment

I've pretty much given up on him individually. As someone said earlier, he's a big key to France's continued relay success now and into the future, so that's great. 2011 was his breakout season, and I just don't see him coming back to that unless a few things changes.

Technically he has to improve and still looks raw at times. Hopefully we see some good things from his these next 2 years, outside of Bolt on the mens side he's a guy I've always kept an extra eye on.

Comment

Good views from all. He did run his best 60 metres race in January since 2012 (6.57 sec), not far from his PB of 6.55 sec (from 2010&2011); so that indicates he could do better in the summer than last couple of years. His season opener for 100 metres (10.16 sec) on 10th of May wasn't anything special, but Christophe has always been a slow starter to a season, so we will have to wait until the end of june to see if there is any improvement. Lemaitre's next race is a 100m race on sunday in France, he'll race against Vicaut and other Frenchmen.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuntoilija View Post
                His season opener for 100 metres (10.16 sec) on 10th of May wasn't anything special, but Christophe has always been a slow starter to a season, so we will have to wait until the end of june to see if there is any improvement. Lemaitre's next race is a 100m race on sunday in France, he'll race against Vicaut and other Frenchmen.
                Indeed, only once has Lemaitre ever run faster than 10.16 on or before May 10. But if he's racing on Sunday, why will we have to wait until the end of June to see improvement? We could see it sooner than that.

Comment

Just following up on and agreeing with pretty much everything posted so far. I know nothing about the techniques of sprinting and training for the sprints, so I have no idea what Lemaitre would need to do to improve or get back to where he was in 2011. As for the current year, however, there is reason -- comparing to previous years -- to see his 2015 marks as positive indicators, as follows: He has run sub-6.60 13 times. Eleven of those 13 were in 2010-2012, so the two he produced earlier this year on 31 January (the fastest of which = #4 on his all-time list) suggests he may be on a track more for his 2010-2012 form rather than his 2013-2014 form (though we should note that he was a 100m WC finalist in 2013 and earned 2 EC silvers in 2014). The hopeful signs suggested by his strong 60m performances are supported by the 10.16 season opener, noted just above by Kuntoilija. Lemaitre's season opener and second mark in the past few years have looked like this:

2010: 10.09 (1 May), 10.24 (9 May)
                  2011: 10.19 (23 April), 10.08 (22 May)
                  2012: 10.45 (28 April), 10.05 (20 May)
                  2013: 10.29 (27 April), 10.17 (19 May)
                  2014: 10.33 (4 May), 10.31 (11 May).

All of this proves nothing of course -- just offered for discussion purposes. I hope he has a good season!

Comment

I'm amazed he's only 25.

With health and a WC year I wouldn't be shocked to see him right in the thick of it in August. While we don't know what sort of shape Mr. Bolt will be in it is safe to assume that this is a season of opportunity for sprinters not named Bolt but you have to be able to get into the 9.8/19.9 range with some consistency. His earlier numbers suggest the 200 is where he has his best chance but it doesn't lend as big a spotlight and many would rather the spotlight.

Comment

The thing about Lemaitre is that his top end speed seemed to decline over the past several years; and yet at the same time, he made no improvements in his sprinting technique (terrible start and acceleration phase, and horrid curve running in the 200m).
                      If for some reason (training, I guess) that he may have gotten his 'speed' back, we will still need to see if he's made any improvements to his start and sprinting technique.
                      No matter how fast his top end speed is/was, he is not going to catch the big boys if he gives away several meters in the beginning of the race.

Comment

I dont buy the added muscle mass argument. A strong case could be made that he was never better at 100m than he was in 2009 as a very frail 19 year old. He has not improved at 100m, by even a 1/10 sec. since he was a teen 100m EuroJr.
                        Last edited by user4; 05-23-2015, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by user4 View Post
                          I dont buy the added muscle mass argument. A strong case could be made that he was never better at 100m than he was in 2009 as a very frail 19 year old. He has not improved at 100m, by even a 1/10 sec. since he was a teen 100m EuroJr.
                          I think you're mixing up 2009 and 2011. By 2009 he had never done sub-10 or sub-20, but in 2011 improved to 9.92 and 19.80 which are still his personal bests.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                            I think you're mixing up 2009 and 2011. By 2009 he had never done sub-10 or sub-20, but in 2011 improved to 9.92 and 19.80 which are still his personal bests.
                            No, I actually did mean 2009. I dont count his 9.92 (2011) as significantly better than his 10.04 EJR from 2009. The 2009 frail, young spindly bag of bones at 100m was as good as the new french national record holder from 2010-2014.
                            Last edited by user4; 05-23-2015, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Well he'll be running tomorrow (Sunday) so we'll see. I strongly believe 200m is his better distance though.

And I have to agree that he has been a huge part of the French relay team, and with Vicaud looking to come back to running form, it's gonna be significant in Beijing and Rio, no matter what Lemaitre does individually.

Comment

Working...
                              X