Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexa Efraimson vs Faith Kipyegon

First, let me make a disclaimer about what the intent of this thread is NOT:
    1. It's NOT intended to place Efraimson on a pedestal so high, she gets dizzy!
    2. It's not to say Alexa is the 2nd coming of You-Know-Who.
    3. And it's certainly NOT to say Efraimson will EVER be as good as Faith Kipyegon.

Okay, that said, what IS this thread about?
    I got my 2015 Athletics Annual today, and was flipping through it, and landed on the Kipyegon bio.
    And upon closer inspection, I found some interesting comparisons between Ms Kipyegon and Ms Efraimson.
    Here's what I found:

Alexa was born February 20, 1997.
    Faith was born January 10, 1994.

So Kipyegon was about 18 years and 6 months old when she ran 4:04.96 to win the Barcelona WJC 1500 (beating Mary Cain, among others!).

Efraimson just ran a 4:03.?? at Age 18yrs and 3+ months.

But lets go back a year or two.

In 2010, when Kipyegon was about 16.5 years old, she ran 4:17.1 (at altitude).
    When Alexa was about 16.5 (in 2013), she ran the 1500 in 4:16.0.

In 2011, when she was 17+, Kipyegon's PR became 4:09.48.
    (Stats taken from the A-A Bio of her!!)
    When Efraimson was about the same age, in 2014, she ran 4:07.05!!

Then, in 2012, when she was 18+, Kipyegon's PR became 4:03.82.
    I don't know if that was before or after the WJC. So I'm not sure if that 4:04.96 was her PR at the time.)

And now, when Efraimson is about the same age as Faith was when she ran that 4:03, SHE runs a 4:03!!

I'll end my comments by stating the obvious:

The following year (2013), when she was 19+, Kipyegon improved to 3:56.98.

Again, I'm NOT saying Alexa will be running 3:56+ next year, when SHE'll be 19+.
    But I found these comparisons interesting.

Especially IF---as her coach thinks is possible!---she runs even faster (than her new PR) this summer!
    Last edited by aaronk; 05-31-2015, 03:27 AM.

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
    Then, in 2012, when she was 18+, Kipyegon's PR became 4:03.82. I don't know if that was before or after the WJC.
    It was well before the WJC--it was in May at the Shanghai Diamond League meet.

Comment

It's possible that using the age of a Kenyan athlete might be starting a premise off on a bad note from the get go.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
        It's possible that using the age of a Kenyan athlete might be starting a premise off on a bad note from the get go.
        I had that in mind.
        But I've been using the A-A as my source for birthdates for a long time, so until proven otherwise, I'll take Kipyegon's B-date for what the book says it is.
        (It's been the same ever since she's been listed in the book!)

Comment

Have the two ever been seen together at the same time?

Comment

Well, the race not that far apart on Saturday, so it is likely that they actually either crossed paths or could have been in the same camera shot at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
              First, let me make a disclaimer about what the intent of this thread is NOT:
              1. It's NOT intended to place Efraimson on a pedestal so high, she gets dizzy!
              2. It's not to say Alexa is the 2nd coming of You-Know-Who.
              3. And it's certainly NOT to say Efraimson will EVER be as good as Faith Kipyegon.

Okay, that said, what IS this thread about?
              I got my 2015 Athletics Annual today, and was flipping through it, and landed on the Kipyegon bio.
              And upon closer inspection, I found some interesting comparisons between Ms Kipyegon and Ms Efraimson.
              Here's what I found:

Alexa was born February 20, 1997.
              Faith was born January 10, 1994.

So Kipyegon was about 18 years and 6 months old when she ran 4:04.96 to win the Barcelona WJC 1500 (beating Mary Cain, among others!).

Efraimson just ran a 4:03.?? at Age 18yrs and 3+ months.

But lets go back a year or two.

In 2010, when Kipyegon was about 16.5 years old, she ran 4:17.1 (at altitude).
              When Alexa was about 16.5 (in 2013), she ran the 1500 in 4:16.0.

In 2011, when she was 17+, Kipyegon's PR became 4:09.48.
              (Stats taken from the A-A Bio of her!!)
              When Efraimson was about the same age, in 2014, she ran 4:07.05!!

Then, in 2012, when she was 18+, Kipyegon's PR became 4:03.82.
              I don't know if that was before or after the WJC. So I'm not sure if that 4:04.96 was her PR at the time.)

And now, when Efraimson is about the same age as Faith was when she ran that 4:03, SHE runs a 4:03!!

I'll end my comments by stating the obvious:

The following year (2013), when she was 19+, Kipyegon improved to 3:56.98.

Again, I'm NOT saying Alexa will be running 3:56+ next year, when SHE'll be 19+.
              But I found these comparisons interesting.

Especially IF---as her coach thinks is possible!---she runs even faster (than her new PR) this summer!
              Please stop doing this to yourself aaronk.

Please.

Comment

Note that Kipyegon ran 8:23.55 for 3rd in that great Doha 3K last year; it was her first-ever race at that distance. Now she has run 14:31.95 in her debut at 5K.
                Cheers,
                Alan Shank
                Woodland, CA, USA

Comment

Working...
                X