Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew Wheating.

Andrew Wheating is somewhat of an enigma to me...so much talent indicated with his huge 3:30.90 but hasn't been able to fulfill that promise at a world class level since then.

I know lots of things can go wrong...and I know chronic injury has been a culprit...but what else is holding Wheating back? He looked poised to break through at Pre on Saturday but ended up disappointed again.

Anyone have any insight, opinion into what is happening?

He looked OK physically Saturday, even took the lead (behind the rabbit) on lap two, then gradually drifted back. Hopefully he'll get it together for USAs.

Comment

I think Wheating is mentally weak; lacks determination, focus, whatever you want to call it.
      He had the talent to succeed at the collegiate level, but doesn't have the mental toughness to dig in and do the work needed for international competition.
      Just my impression and opinion. I do not know him personally nor do I know anything about his character or training.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksf View Post
        I think Wheating is mentally weak; lacks determination, focus, whatever you want to call it.
        He had the talent to succeed at the collegiate level, but doesn't have the mental toughness to dig in and do the work needed for international competition.
        Just my impression and opinion. I do not know him personally nor do I know anything about his character or training.
        Say what? LOL!

Comment

Yes. I think he's a bit of a wimp (relatively speaking).
          Last edited by Jacksf; 06-01-2015, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Yes. I think he's a bit of a wimp (relatively speaking).
            Message boards are glorious places.

Comment

I hope he's reading this Jacksf. He's been beset by injury the past several years. Still, he was good enough to make two Olympic teams in highly competitive events as well as a World's team. To call him a wimp, relatively speaking or otherwise, is a cheap shot. Since you've already admitted you know nothing of his character or coaching, let me point out that he's great with his fans, volunteers as a Big Brother and assists in other youth organizations.
              He was coached for several years by Vin Lananna and is now working with Mark Rowland.
              I don't know if he'll ever return to his former levels (did I mention his 3 NCAA titles, including being the first to double in the 800/1500 since Joachim Cruz?), but it won't be for lack of toughness.
              Last edited by bruce3404; 06-02-2015, 03:56 AM.

Comment

I hope he reads this too. Maybe it will piss him off enough to prove me wrong.
                That would be fine.
                But for now, I think he is a big disappointment.
                A guy with that much talent....to perform so pedestrianly....I just think it must be a motivation/determination/work ethic issue.
                I also have the impression that he hasn't run a full season in years. But would have to check to see if that impression is fact.

Meanwhile, are you saying he is tough based on his collegiate career? Because I wouldn't disagree with you there. But since college, I haven't seen any toughness/competitiveness.
                I didn't say he wasn't nice. I'm not judging him as a person. I'm judging him as a competitor.

Comment

HA!!!
                  Was looking for a video of Wheating's last race and came across this:
                  http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/251...r#.VW02h-vye20

Go to 2:52 of the video and listen to Andrew, who basically admits that he hasn't been training hard enough the past few years, and lacked focus. Then go back and read my first post. I'm right on the money in my assessment of Wheating!!!
                  Thank you Andrew for confirming my impression!
                  Last edited by Jacksf; 06-02-2015, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Oh there's confirmation of something here.

Comment

watch the video . . . .

Comment

Wheating - last at the NY Diamond League 800m in 1:47.75

Comment

His regression from college is dis-heartening. Sure, there have been a multitude of injuries, along with a few successes, and much as I hate to say it, perhaps it's time to acknowledge that he'll never be the Andy Wheating of 2010, but let's first see what he can do at USATF in a few weeks.

Comment

For the past few years, he hasn't been working hard and he hasn't been focused - he admits that himself. His incredible talent allowed him to be successful at the collegiate level, and he thought he could get by on that talent and just the standard amount of work at the international level. Again he admits that himself in the video posted earlier.

Talent itself isn't enough to be successful at the top level of any sport; and sometimes a lot of talent can be a detriment because an athlete can get used to being successful without working as hard as less talented athletes.

Comment

For the past few years, he hasn't been working hard and he hasn't been focused - he admits that himself.
                              You way overstating what he said in the interview.

Comment

Working...
                              X