Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He both deserved and received a fat contract from Nike upon graduation. Unlike many other athletes who are on year to year contracts and HAVE to perform, perhaps that big contract Andy signed worked against him. I'd sure like to see him make me eat my words.

Comment

Originally posted by tgs3 View Post
      You way overstating what he said in the interview.
      REALLY?!???!! what video did you watch?!

"I think in the last few years I've kind of been under the impression that talent can do most of the work."
      "that I was great because I was talented....and you can't rely on talent your whole life, you have to eventually do the work, and not to say I wasn't working, but it was just kind of like I was put into it and I did it for the sake of having to accomplish it."
      "To be honest ... I got a little bit of a big-head on myself....I kind of lost focus like I said, and I think it just took somebody who doesn't tolerate that crap, coach Rollin."
      Jacksf
      Last edited by Jacksf; 06-16-2015, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksf View Post
        Wheating - last at the NY Diamond League 800m in 1:47.75
        And, on June 8, 7th in 1:49.72 in the Jerome Classic.
        Clearly, he should have to earn his way back into DL meets.
        Cheers,
        Alan Shank

Comment

I think the thoughts on why has hasn't improved are kind of flawed. College is such a structured setting. Classes a certain time, practice a certain time, everything is set out for the athlete. It is often hard to for younger people in the general work force to adjust to post collegiate life, let alone an athlete. AW had everything fall into place for him at Oregon. But since then has fought injuries which can challenge the confidence of the best of us. Having met him a few years ago I can tell you that I found him to be a down to earth, honest, good guy. I'm hoping his health and confidence return. definitely one of the most talented prospects to emerge in the US in the last 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Gebrucilassie View Post
            I think the thoughts on why has hasn't improved are kind of flawed. College is such a structured setting. Classes a certain time, practice a certain time, everything is set out for the athlete. It is often hard to for younger people in the general work force to adjust to post collegiate life, let alone an athlete. AW had everything fall into place for him at Oregon. But since then has fought injuries which can challenge the confidence of the best of us. Having met him a few years ago I can tell you that I found him to be a down to earth, honest, good guy. I'm hoping his health and confidence return. definitely one of the most talented prospects to emerge in the US in the last 30 years.
            Gebrucilasse...nice review re: Wheating, agree w/ all your points.

Comment

Thanks for your input, Gebrucilassie. Anyone who has ever met Andy would agree that he's one of the nicest people on the planet. It hurts me to see his career flounder as it has, but if it truly is the end of the line for him, he's done more than 99.9999999% of track athletes could ever dream to do with two Olympic teams, World's teams, NCAA titles, etc. I'd love to see him re-discover the magic, but it's more important to me that he lead a happy life much as he's helped local youth to better their lives as a Big Brother. Sorry if this seems a bit maudlin.

Comment

Thank you. I think we are often very hard on track athletes. My own running has had ups and downs over the years. While I've never been anything other than a mediocre , it's hard to recreate the good years and often I have no explanation other than my body just won't respond the same. Perhaps the pro's really aren't all that different from us in that regard. Either way I pull for them and appreciate the great performances as much as I suffer their poor ones.

Comment

Working...
                X