Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast mens 1500 m at Socth Carolina classic

South Carolina Track Classic hosted by Furman University Eight men were under 3:39.

Results

Kyle Merber 3:34.54
    Cory Leslie 3:35.36
    Jeff See 3:36.70
    Frezer Legeese 3:36.93
    Isaac Presson 3:37.06
    Nate Brannen 3:37.68
    Riley Masters 3:37.86
    Dorian Ulrey 3:38.40
    Ford Palmer 3:41.31
    Hudgins Brandon 3:42.88
    Troy Reeder 3:43.65
    Joe Stillin 3:44.89
    Griff Graves 3:45.40
    Matt Hillenbrand 3:55.36
    Chris Moen 3:57.59
    Nats Q 3:39.00 Worlds 3:36.20

I believe that moves Merber into the Top 30 USA AllTime

I think it was set up to get guys an "A" WC qualifier, 3:36.2. So Merber and Leslie got theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by wineturtle View Post
      I believe that moves Merber into the Top 30 USA AllTime
      Also makes him #2 in the World for 2015 outdoor.

That was a sneaky good DMR team US sent to the Bahamas. Merber only got a spot when Wheating, the bigger "name", dropped out with a blister.

Comment

Originally posted by player View Post
        Also makes him #2 in the World for 2015 outdoor.

That was a sneaky good DMR team US sent to the Bahamas. Merber only got a spot when Wheating, the bigger "name", dropped out with a blister.
        I'm 99.44% sure Merber was slotted for the 3/4 leg before Wheating blistered.

edit-make that 100% just checked my e-mails and we were speaking about his lead-off leg before 4/21 and I posted on tracktalk.net about him getting the 1200 leg the evening of 4/21
        Last edited by wineturtle; 06-01-2015, 07:47 PM. Reason: fact check
        Tom Hyland:
        "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Originally posted by wineturtle View Post
          I'm 99.44% sure Merber was slotted for the 3/4 leg before Wheating blistered.
          Merber mentioned in his blog that he got the call from Vin Lananna about running the 1200 on April 18, the day after he ran a 1:47 PB at the Princeton Relays. That's fairly late, considering the Relays were only two weeks away. Seemed reasonable to draw the connection to Wheating (who was originally on the list of team members).

But if you have better info, I will defer.

Comment

Wheatings twit about his blister was first published on 4/22 so as you say VL asked Merber on the 18th leading me to believe Merber was not a replacement for Wheating since they both were on the published list. As I said Merber and I had exchanged private remarks about him being slotted to lead off before the 4/22 Twitter . Unless you have information that Wheating informed USATF/Vin Lananna prior to April 18th I stand by my statement that Merber was not, as you suggested, a last minute replacement for a blistered Wheating.
            enough
            Tom Hyland:

Comment

I intended no controversy by my original post. An infected blister is something that would be ongoing, not a sudden event like a muscle pull, so nothing definite can be concluded from the date of Wheating's tweet.

It is obvious from Merber's blog that he had no expectation of running the Relays until 10 days before he got on the plane. It is also obvious from Wheating's tweet that he expected to run and was disappointed at having to withdraw.

To each his own.

Comment

Great race...set up really well in near perfect conditions...Pr's and season's best galore. Would like to see more races like this in the USA summer track season.

Comment

Player you are correct Kyle was not informed of his selection till end of April. Sorry I though he had been contacted prior and it was on April 18th or there abouts that his 1200 slot was confirmed. Thus USATF & Vin could have known of Wheatings blister at that time.
                  My mistake sorry
                  Tom Hyland:

Comment

Thank you kindly and appreciate your knowledge of the sport.

Greatly looking forward now to the M1500 at Nationals. Not only did Merber (and Leslie) run fast, Merber mentions closing in 54. We'll see if they can do it for the rounds and make things interesting, along with Centro/Leo/Ben B.

Comment

Closing in 54 in a 3:38 race is one thing, doing it when going through in 2:40 is another. Centro and Manzano have shown the ability to close fast in fast races and those three might now be the favorites for Beijing (and Rio?). Leo sometimes looks almost awful, but he usually looks pretty good in those big races.

player, you are a nice addition to the board, I appreciate your input repeatedly and you have not quite hit 100 posts yet.

Comment

^^ Ditto the welcome addition of player.

Comment

Well thank you both. And as long as we're on the thread about the Furman results, how about Frezer Legesse improving his PB from 3:41.14 to 3:36.93? And Isaac Presson from 3:40.16 to 3:37.06?

These are two young guys that virtually nobody but their family members would have heard of and now they solidly have their national qualifiers. Good to know that people are still chasing the dream.

Comment

Working...
                          X