• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diamond League scheduling

Days between meets
    ------------------------
    D 1 Sh 12 Eu 4 R 2 Bir 3 Os 1 NY 20 P 4 Lau 7 Mon 6 Lon 4 St 34 Z 7 Br

Of course, in the first case Shanghai was the "event mirror image" of Doha, i.e. no event/sex was held in both meets.

There are two "clusters" of meets, five in two weeks' time from Eugene to New York, and three in two weeks from Paris to Monaco (I will be attending those three, my first DL meets ever!).

Even with meets coming close together, the distribution of events is such that most disciplines are not worked too hard. However:

W 400, M 800 are held 6/4, 7 and 13
    W 1500/M 6/4, 7 and 11
    M 3/5K and W SC 6/4, 7 and 13
    M TJ and W HJ 6/4, 7 and 13

I would think those might be of some concern to the athletes/coaches concerned, trying to balance maximum opportunity to score points with the danger of injury/over-racing.

I was going to start a thread about Birmingham entries, but the website is suffering from "rotating half-circle syndrome".
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA
    Last edited by Alan Shank; 06-02-2015, 07:57 PM.

Also note that there are sometimes non-DL events on programs; for example, Birmingham has a non-DL W 800 and non-DL M 1500.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

Comment

Have fun in Europe, Alan.

I was surprised that Jenny Simpson ran the non DL 1500 in Eugene and will run the DL 1500 in Rome. Not that I'm thinking she's wrong but it did seem close together and when you add the travel... ugh. I assume she'll run in NY, too.

Comment

Originally posted by booond View Post
        Have fun in Europe, Alan.
        Count on it! I am really looking forward to these "one-off" meets, where great events hit you one after another. I attended a lot of one-day meets way back in the 60s, like Compton Invitational, Coliseum Relays, Modesto, etc. Later I did the AAU meets at Walnut and UCLA, so got to see heats and quals. Finally, I "graduated" to global champs at LA '84, Rome '87 and all worlds 2001-2013. These meets are great for getting to see how each event develops over several days -- heats, semis, etc., but the finals are spread out, except for the last day. So now I will come "full circle". I've been to St. Denis (2003 WC), but the other stadiums will be new experiences.
        Cheers,
        Alan Shank

Comment

read this from last November's T&FN

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/ima...ov14editor.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
            read this from last November's T&FN

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/ima...ov14editor.pdf
            Yeah, I remember your spiel about the big gap, but I think it's fine to give the athletes, especially the distance runners, a nice break to prepare for the Worlds.
            Cheers,
            Alan Shank

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
              Yeah, I remember your spiel about the big gap, but I think it's fine to give the athletes, especially the distance runners, a nice break to prepare for the Worlds.
              Cheers,
              Alan Shank
              Portland (w/ Flotrack??) has a special 10000 scheduled for, I think, August 8th.
              Supposedly, they're bringing in some fast people, and expect it to be a fast race!

Comment

Working...
              X