Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh View Post
    (this deserves its own thread)
    The replay clearly showed that the officials did extend the sector line (as drawn) and it was still out. Remeasuring the sector opens up all sorts of mischief to be played. When the point is 100 yards removed from where the angle is measured, a fraction of a degree can be greatly magnified to many inches. My guess is that they gamed the sector that way and you know what I think about that kind of shenanigans? I LOVE it!

Comment

Where did they come up with 28.96 degrees? Most of the weird metric specifications are due to the origin of the event being in the UK before they got wise, like the 36" hurdles and the 16-pound shot. But there are no "English" degrees. WTF?
      Cheers,
      Alan Shank

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank View Post
        Where did they come up with 28.96 degrees? Most of the weird metric specifications are due to the origin of the event being in the UK before they got wise, like the 36" hurdles and the 16-pound shot. But there are no "English" degrees. WTF?
        Cheers,
        Alan Shank
        The arc at the end of the runway is part of an imaginary circle with a radius of 8 meters, and 28.96 degrees is the only angle at which the two sector lines meet in the center of that circle.

It also means that at any distance n meters from the center of the circle (n-8 meters from the arc) the sector lines are n/2 meters apart, which in theory provides a quick way to check if the sector has been measured and marked correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasuke View Post
          I am so glad Yego was given right and his throw valid. A huge fighter, each time he was overcome in this race he could react and drop a bomb. And, to me, "sector foul" shouldn't even exist. I can't understand their meaning. In the SP, ok, if you go out of the place, but in the other throws...
          People have been impaled by javelins going outside the sector. Without the sector restriction, the throwers would be less careful about the direction of the spear, resulting in more such injuries and deaths.
          Last edited by 18.99s; 06-07-2015, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Obviously all throwing events need a sector from a safety point of view, and for standardisation of circumstances for comparison and record purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut View Post
              One Finnish source is now saying that's pretty much what happened. The big throw was outside the original sector line, but Yego asked for the sector angle to be remeasured and with the new sector it was in.
              What I don't understand is why the sector wasn't checked before the meet. Did the Official Surveyor not do his job properly? Under Rule 135, he/she is supposed to check the accuracy of such things before the meet. What about the Technical Manager, who is responsible under Rule 123(a) for ensuring that all of the sectors are in accordance with the rules?

Comment

Hey, in any case I've got a great story problem in the bank for next year's classes.

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut View Post
                  The arc at the end of the runway is part of an imaginary circle with a radius of 8 meters, and 28.96 degrees is the only angle at which the two sector lines meet in the center of that circle.

It also means that at any distance n meters from the center of the circle (n-8 meters from the arc) the sector lines are n/2 meters apart, which in theory provides a quick way to check if the sector has been measured and marked correctly.
                  So what is the origin of the 8 meter radius?

Comment

Good question. Why couldn't the foul line be a straight line instead of an arc?

Comment

Because the measurement system references back to a point behind the line; it is a choice, but the more natural one, I think (and might be in keeping with rules across events).

Comment

I'd prefer a measurement system that used straight lines (perpendicular to line of attack). The farther off center you throw, the shorter your measurement. (I know, it's impractical)

Comment

When I saw the thread title, I though people were discussing how historic his throw was. #9 all-time, first African over 90m, etc.

How wrong I was...

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                            When I saw the thread title, I though people were discussing how historic his throw was. #9 all-time, first African over 90m, etc.
                            How wrong I was...
                            Because it may well have NOT been a valid throw. I sincerely believe the remeasurement of the sector angle was gamed to make the throw valid.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235 View Post
                              Because the measurement system references back to a point behind the line; it is a choice, but the more natural one, I think (and might be in keeping with rules across events).
                              You're right. The other throws are measured from the landing point to the inside circumference of the throwing circle along a line that extends to the center of the circle. The jav is likewise measured to the inside of the arc along a line that extends to the center of the theoretical circle of which the arc is a part. Thinking about it further, I realized that it almost has to be that way.

Comment

LopenUupunut gave an excellent explanation of why all throws are and should be measured from an arc rather than a straight foul line.
                                Common sense and safety dictate a legal sector. It is not practical to throw from the center of a 600' diameter legal circle.
                                To measure perpendicular from a straight line would require a foul line of infinite length. If ruled that throws must be launched between the ends of the foul line, throws measured from a center point behind the foul line to a landing point on either side of center will be shorter than if measured from an arc.
                                I do not know why the radius of the arc was set at 8 meters. It could be 7m or 9 m or ??m...whatever the radius, lay out the sector accurately.. problem solved.
                                Last edited by lonewolf; 06-08-2015, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X