Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh View Post
    I'd prefer a measurement system that used straight lines (perpendicular to line of attack). The farther off center you throw, the shorter your measurement. (I know, it's impractical)
    As far as I remember, javelin used to be measured that way before WW 2 or about that.

Comment

Acccording to this Rules History it was probably post-WWII, with the 1953 IAAF Handbook including the current layout.

The 4m width of the runway seems to be a metricisation of the old 12 foot scratch line with no sector that was used prior to that.

There doesn't seem to be any reason given for the 8m radius, so twice the width probably just "looked right" and was easy to set up. The narrow sector resulting from this also probably lined up with the linear nature of the throw and experience of actual landings. Also, a 90 degree sector such as in force for the other long throws at that time would have gone onto the track given that the WR level of the time was already 80m, far in excess of discus and hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
        I'd prefer a measurement system that used straight lines (perpendicular to line of attack). The farther off center you throw, the shorter your measurement.
        Yep, like yard lines on an NFL field. And two parallel lines running the length of the field to mark the valid landing area, instead of a sector.

(I know, it's impractical)
        It's only impractical because of the system already in place and resistance to change. It would have worked well if implemented from the beginning.
        Last edited by 18.99s; 06-08-2015, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
          It's only impractical because of the system already in place and resistance to change. It would have worked well if implemented from the beginning.
          As noted by Olli, it was implemented from the beginning; that's how javelin marks were originally measured. IAAF changed it in 1948, I think.
          Last edited by LopenUupunut; 06-08-2015, 01:41 PM.

Comment

How did they ensure the measuring tape was always held exactly perpendicular to the line?
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
              How did they ensure the measuring tape was always held exactly perpendicular to the line?
              If they measure the shortest distance between the landing point and the line or its extension, then it is perpendicular,

Comment

Originally posted by Olli View Post
                If they measure the shortest distance between the landing point and the line or its extension, then it is perpendicular,
                Bingo! Under the current system, that's not an issue. Getting the measurements would be more tedious and time-consuming if they used the measuring system suggested above, and it only seems logical for the javelin to have sectors just like the other throws do.

Comment

With present-day technology both systems are probably equally easy, but with a measuring tape it was probably simpler to always put its other end to the center of the imagined circle.

Comment

Originally posted by Olli View Post
                    With present-day technology both systems are probably equally easy, but with a measuring tape it was probably simpler to always put its other end to the center of the imagined circle.
                    Agree! I can't get over the fact that Birmingham's sector only went to 87 meters. What were they thinking? Will other throwers or their coaches now start demanding re-measurement of the zone following close fouls?
                    I would think Walcott might be next over 90m.

Comment

The system is fairer now than it used to be. When Matti Järvinen set a WR of 77.23/253'5 in 1936 under the old system, the throw was actually the first ever 80m throw - 81.23m/266'6. The event isn't the "javelin thrown in the straightest line for distance", just the furthest.

Comment

Working...
                      X