Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adjusted world lists for Beijing qualification

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Thanks, updated the list now. I was doing this manually, so if there are any other omissions, please report.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

    Comment


    • #17
      So if China has a guaranteed 4x400 place one team will have to drop out or more than 16 teams will start? In Moscow around 20 teams started in three heats, that's much better. I'm not sure what were the rules two years ago.

      Comment


      • #18
        Two years ago, all teams which met the qualifying standard could compete. The rules were changed for this edition of the WC.

        As far as I can see, there is no provision in the qualification standards that says the host country has a guaranteed place in all relay events.
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

        Comment


        • #19
          Thanks, I hope they will add more or at least divide those 16 in 4x400 into three heats. Two semis with 8 could be a mess during exchange.

          Comment


          • #20
            Exchanges in a 4x4 can always be a mess, but why should they not run two semis with 8 to qualify for a final with 8 ? Two years ago in Moscow they had 24 teams in the m4x4 and three semis.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by norunner View Post
              Exchanges in a 4x4 can always be a mess, but why should they not run two semis with 8 to qualify for a final with 8 ? Two years ago in Moscow they had 24 teams in the m4x4 and three semis.
              With 24 teams and three semis a quality is more dispersed and the chances are much smaller that between "same tier teams" one team be eliminated because someone was blocked during exchange and couldn't do much after. Just the way I like it. And later in a final whatever happens...

              Comment


              • #22
                While looking at the 1500m list and the missing mile results player mentioned i saw a problem with the whole qualification system: the target number for 1500m is 45, how does the IAAF decide which athletes to invite in case less than 45 meet the standard? They have to use two separate world lists, 1500m and the mile, so how do they decide which result is worth more?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Pakilo View Post
                  With 24 teams and three semis a quality is more dispersed and the chances are much smaller that between "same tier teams" one team be eliminated because someone was blocked during exchange and couldn't do much after.
                  The quality is even more concentrated in the final, but you don't seem to have a problem with 8 teams running there.
                  Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    What a great tool, thank you.

                    I need help with the abbreviations -- AC and TFP particularly.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by norunner View Post
                      While looking at the 1500m list and the missing mile results player mentioned i saw a problem with the whole qualification system: the target number for 1500m is 45, how does the IAAF decide which athletes to invite in case less than 45 meet the standard? They have to use two separate world lists, 1500m and the mile, so how do they decide which result is worth more?
                      Good question and an apparent defect in the qualifying standards as set out. However, as a matter of logic, I think the IAAF scoring tables would have to be employed for the purpose.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        AC is Area Champion (Asian, African, European etc). Note sure about TFP

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by josephkenny View Post
                          What a great tool, thank you.

                          I need help with the abbreviations -- AC and TFP particularly.
                          AC = Area champion

                          TFP = I don't actually know what it stands for, but those are the top three in the IAAF combined events challenge 2014.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by player View Post
                            I think the IAAF scoring tables would have to be employed for the purpose.
                            or the well established 1.08 conversion factor

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              surprisingly, they didn't use the 1.08 in crafting the qualifying standards (close, but not quite)

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                In the W 5000, Laura Whittle's 14:34 was really 15:34, so she should be 30th, not 3rd, and on the bubble.
                                Cheers,
                                Alan Shank
                                Woodland, CA, USA

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X