X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NormZylstra
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    I wasn't meaning how useful were the lists created for here: meant trying to follow the IAAF protocols.
    Very useful.

Is 2015 the 1st time the IAAF filled the fields to thirty-two?

Leave a comment:

• donley2
    replied
    I think the procedure I read said the federations have 24 hours to say yes or no as to whether they accept the invitation. So indeed if every go round they invite the minimum number of people it could drag on for several days.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by norunner View Post
    They should do it the other way round. Bring back the B standard, federations can name those athletes with the B standard they would like to select and all athletes with a B go into a pool from which the field will be filled according to ranking until the target number. That way as soon as all federations have sent their selections, the IAAF knows exactly which athletes to invite.
    That's one way. I predict this year's hot-mess protocol gets significantly amended for the next iteration.

Leave a comment:

• norunner
    replied
    They should do it the other way round. Bring back the B standard, federations can name those athletes with the B standard they would like to select and all athletes with a B go into a pool from which the field will be filled according to ranking until the target number. That way as soon as all federations have sent their selections, the IAAF knows exactly which athletes to invite.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by Powell View Post
    as the federations refuse some of the invitations, the process will have to be repeated many times.
    That's just what I was wondering. The IAAF will have to be putzing with the lists till the end, as they find out people they've invited won't be going.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by NormZylstra View Post
    In the case of US men's discus the USATF had an impossible time and ignored competitive results. I found it took a bit to get the colors, otherwise very useful.
    I wasn't meaning how useful were the lists created for here: meant trying to follow the IAAF protocols.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Making sense of it isn't hard from the fan's point of view. I'm more concerned about the logistics of it. If the invitations are sent only to the exact number of athletes needed to reach the target number, then as the federations refuse some of the invitations, the process will have to be repeated many times.

Leave a comment:

• norunner
    replied
    Originally posted by AS View Post
    Given the wording of Athletics Australia's announcement (specifically that more athletes may yet be added), does mean that some of the current "nS" designations (e.g. Crowther in MLJ) might need to be removed for now too...

And to echo many, fantastic work on this resource. It's become a real 'go to' for this nerd...
    I'm guessing quite a few "nS" would have to be removed to be more accurate, but we lack the information. Once a federation has announced it's team anyone not on it gets an nS. Some countries have specifically added info on which athletes would be selected if invited by the IAAF, most have not. So like everything else in the lists, the "nS" is a guideline, not final.

Leave a comment:

• NormZylstra
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    Serious question: on a scale from 1 to 10 (1 bad, 10 good), how would you rate the ease of following this new IAAF protocol?
    In the case of US men's discus the USATF had an impossible time and ignored competitive results. I found it took a bit to get the colors, otherwise very useful.

Leave a comment:

• AS
    replied
    Originally posted by Oliver View Post
    Thank you Vault-emort. I have updated the lists.
    Given the wording of Athletics Australia's announcement (specifically that more athletes may yet be added), does mean that some of the current "nS" designations (e.g. Crowther in MLJ) might need to be removed for now too...

And to echo many, fantastic work on this resource. It's become a real 'go to' for this nerd...

Leave a comment:

• Oliver
    replied
    Thank you Vault-emort. I have updated the lists.

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    Athletics Australia have just announced their roll-down additions to the Beijing team:

Ryan Gregson (1500m) Heidi See (1500m) James Nipperess (SC) added with Jeff Risely (1500m) and Anneliese Rubie (400m) getting additional starts

http://athletics.com.au/News/beijing-2015-123

There may be more if athletes from other countries decline.
    Last edited by Vault-emort; 08-12-2015, 04:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    The new system is not so bad to follow (tho Rob & crew's list help considerably) and there are probably thousands of athletes from the past 30 years who wish it had been in force when they missed selection.

I just wish the relay fields were expanded to 24 entries.

Leave a comment:

• tm71
    replied
    Originally posted by norunner View Post
    Next year will be much easier because for OGs there are no wildcards and no exceptions for area champions. Every country gets a max of three athletes and all athletes are the same. Unless the IAAF starts it's own list, which it should, we will be doing one for Rio.
    Good to know. Has iaaf already released their entry lists for each event or will that be next week ?

Leave a comment:

• norunner
    replied
    Originally posted by tm71 View Post
    Given how tedious and time consuming this can be are u guys planing to do the same for the OG next year and future iaaf world championships meets ?
    Next year will be much easier because for OGs there are no wildcards and no exceptions for area champions. Every country gets a max of three athletes and all athletes are the same. Unless the IAAF starts it's own list, which it should, we will be doing one for Rio.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X