Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US hurdler changes nation?

This past weekend at the NJ International Track Meet at Colt Necks HS, 110 HH Todd Matthews (a graduate of Notre Dame HS in NJ and Clemson U) was introduced as now running for the nation of Sudan. Anybody have any info on this? Are Americans now followng the way of some Kenyan distance runners and changing nations so that they can make an Olympic or World Champ team?

According to the following link he changed nation in Oct of 2003.

http://www.tilastopaja.net/db/atm.asp?ID=43960

Re: US hurdler changes nation?

Nothing new about that. You've heard of Felix Sanchez? (As it turned out, he didn't have to do it to make an OT)

Comment

But Felix doesn't have to worry about an accident in the trials, etc. He just gets to plan his season and be ready when he has to.

A lesser light, Street-Thompson has a similar deal in the Cayman Islands. And I think I saw that the Baylor 400 guy (Bosiso?) is going for Panama. If you have dual citizenship, it probably behooves you to take the guaranteed entry country.

Comment

>A lesser light, Street-Thompson has a similar deal in the Cayman Islands. And I think I saw that the Baylor 400 guy (Bosiso?) is going for Panama. If you have dual citizenship, it probably behooves you to take the guaranteed entry country.<

That would be 400H Bayano Kimani....can't fault the guy. A lifetime opportnity/experience, and all expenses paid....why not, it's the Olympics. Whatever the reason; heritage, cultural, personal choice....his decision. I hope he has a great time, and competes well.

Comment

On a side note...

Do you have any field event results from the meet.
          The website only shows running results as of last look.

Comment

>A lesser light,
            >Street-Thompson has a similar deal in the Cayman Islands. And I think I saw
            >that the Baylor 400 guy (Bosiso?) is going for Panama. If you have dual
            >citizenship, it probably behooves you to take the guaranteed entry country.

Kareem Street as he was then known represented the Cayman Islands from as far back as when he was 16 (and jumping over 7.50) I know this because I saw him jump at the Carifta Games
            why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

I didn't mean to belittle Kareem. I thought at one time he would be really good. His PR is up there, but he just never seems to make it to the podium. But with only three slots, there is a lot of that going around!

Comment

Kareem is an interesting case. When he started to compete internationally, he competed for the Cayman Islands. Then he decided he was good enough to compete for the US, and he did for a while. And then he switched back to Cayman later in his career. He's the only athlete that I can think of that has ever changed national affiliation and then reverted to his original affiliation.

Trivia question: Where was Kareem Streete-Thompson born?

Comment

>Trivia
                  >question: Where was Kareem Streete-Thompson born?

Ithaca, New York

Comment

Correct.

Comment

Any chance of Sanya switching back to Jamaica. The US team looks pretty tough to make this year even in her event. Anyway with her history she will probably opt for money rich Quatar. A press conference is around the corner.

Comment

>This past weekend at the NJ International Track Meet at Colt Necks HS, 110 HH
                        >Todd Matthews (a graduate of Notre Dame HS in NJ and Clemson U) was introduced
                        >as now running for the nation of Sudan. Anybody have any info on this? Are
                        >Americans now followng the way of some Kenyan distance runners and changing
                        >nations so that they can make an Olympic or World Champ team?

According to
                        >the following link he changed nation in Oct of 2003.
                        >

http://www.tilastopaja.net/db/atm.asp?ID=43960

Not a bad idea, maybe I should claim my dual citizenship (Finland/US) and hope my season's best of 48.24 gets me to some trial somewhere back home.

I doubt it.

Comment

Working...
                        X