Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Challenge for the non-Europeans on here...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenge for the non-Europeans on here...

... and of course for the Europeans! But it's more of a challenge for the Americans/Canadians, etc....

On my site, athleticslinks, there's a prediction contest for the 2004 European Cup (taking place this coming weekend). Seeing as quite a few non-Americans took part in the NCAA prediction contest on this site, maybe some of the non-Europeans on here might like to have a go at this prediction contest just for the hell of it! You can win yourself a copy of the 2004 ATFS Annual - an invaluable resource for any track and field fan!

More information can be found here:

http://www.athleticslinks.com/contest.html

Tip - on the form itself, the athletes have been listed in their starting/lane order within the selection list for each event, so keep that in mind when making your predictions. The deadline for the competition is 18th June (Bydgoszcz time).

Good luck!

Re: Challenge for the non-Europeans on here...

what the hell - can't do any worse than I did on the NCAA's.

edit - OK, I'm in now. I did ZERO research for this, and I recognized one, maybe two names per event, so we're basically talking blind luck here. When in doubt pick a German man and Russian woman. I did note that Borzo is running the 1500, not the 800. Picked him anyway - needs the strength work.

Comment

tafnut, I can assure you, I can do MUCH WORSE than the NCAA contest!

I'll think about it.

Comment

Back in the bad old days (before WCs), some friends and I had a E Cup draft. We picked 2 countries in each event (no names, so imagine my pleasure when my early pick of a UK 10K guy turned out not to be Brendan Foster). The ECup was more interesting than WCup (the continental teams were impossible to dope). The stakes were small, involving meals and beer, prorated among the loser, winner (and lady) ate and drank free. We only did this through '85, as WC was around and we had other issues. I may try my hand, I can probably do something with a 2nd ATFS annual. Actually, I have never won anything in any of these contests. But they are still fun. If you don't root against someone based upon your picks.

Comment

>what the hell - can't do any worse than I did on the NCAA's.

edit - OK, I'm
          >in now. I did ZERO research for this, and I recognized one, maybe two names per
          >event, so we're basically talking blind luck here. When in doubt pick a German
          >man and Russian woman. I did note that Borzo is running the 1500, not the 800.
          >Picked him anyway - needs the strength work.

Fair play to you, tafnut! Good luck!

Comment

"Fair play to you"

that's such a Brit thing to say.

Jon, over here we say:

'hey sucka, I'm gunna kick your . . .'

well, you get the drift.

Comment

>'hey sucka, I'm gunna kick your . . .'

Well that's pretty much certain anyway, so there was't much point in saying! ;-)

Comment

touche!

Comment

Stefan Holm dreams of Swedish success

The indoor world champion in the high jump, Stefan Holm, is headed to the the European cup this weekend in Bydgoszcz fully motivated. „ The purpose is for me that Sweden wins the competition. We have descended in the past over and over again. I don:t want this to happen yet once again. “

http://www.leichtathletik.de/Dokumente/ ... sp?ID=5744

Holm:s efforts to win will be strengthened by Christian Olsson in the triple and Patrik Kristiansson in the vault.

Comment

One of the favourites for the Steeple, Simon Vroemen (NED) has now been replaced with Joost Blokland who isn't half as good! Anyway, to those of you who entered, remember you have one chance left before the deadline to make amendments to your entry.

Comment

. . . too . . . lazy . . .

Comment

Simon Vroeman -- is that "Casper" Vroemen who once competed for UC Riverside? ... I answered my own question... Simon won the CCAA XC title in 1991 - with SLO runners Jim Sorensen (1996 2nd OT 1,500m) and Scott Hempel taking the title the two previous years.

Comment

>Simon Vroeman -- is that "Casper" Vroemen who once competed for UC Riverside?

Casper is his brother:

http://www.simonvroemen.nl/images/2002- ... per-01.jpg

Comment

I just did it. Damn, it would be hard enough if the top representatives were there, but in many events it goes way down. Many of these names I never heard. Oh, well! BTW Jon, how do you get back to edit it?
                            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

>Jon, how do you get back to edit it?

Unfortunately, I'm not programming/coding guru so you can't "log in" as such. If you want to edit your predictions, just go back to the form, fill out your name, email, and security question, and then just submit predictions for the event that you want to change - no need to fill out the whole form again.

Comment

Working...
                              X