X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    By that line of reasoning the World's Fastest Human between 1978 and 1988 was…. William Snoddy!
    Er, uh, you overlooked one important fact that I made in my response: Bailes was also the co-WR-holder at the time. When Snoddy ran 9.87w, he was nowhere close to the WR of 9.95. In fact, he never broke 10.10!
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 06-24-2015, 11:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    By that line of reasoning the World's Fastest Human between 1978 and 1988 was…. William Snoddy!

Leave a comment:

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    no offense to Ms. Bailes, who was obviously a boggling talent, but an incredibly overwritten story taking lots of liberties with reality.

<She was the fastest woman on the planet >>… oh, really?
    Under all conditions and in an era when the hand stopwatch was still king, I have absolutely no problem with the heading of this article.

The fastest electronic time that was on record before Mexico City 1968 was Wyomia Tyus' 11.23 at Tokyo 1964. That remained until Irena Szewińska ran 11.20 in the heats at Mexico City, before Tyus ran 11.08. But at the time, the IAAF still recognized hand times...

For which several women ran 11.1, the official WR before the Olympics: Szewińska (1965), Tyus (1965), Barbara Ferrell (1967), Lyudmila Samotyosova (August 1968) and Bailes (August 1968).

And Bailes ran a wind-aided 10.8 before the Olympics. The fastest? Really? I'd say yes, all things considered (one of the fastest under legal conditions, and the fastest under all wind conditions).
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 06-24-2015, 10:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• unclezadok
    replied
    Originally posted by Gabriella2 View Post
    Angela who? Ah, yes, the Angela Williams that only made an impact as a senior over 60m.

Sorry, that was harsh, but you get my point; let's not pressure this poor girl and let her develop at her own pace.
    Just reporting the facts, ma'am.

Leave a comment:

• Speedster
    replied
    Angela Williams suffered the same fate as Nelli Cooman; too short to be a factor with another 40m tacked on (although SAFP has certainly broken the mould in that department).
    Williams form was average in her developing years, coaches not wanting to tinker with an age group world record holder is my guess, when those are the year when you want to get good habits in place. It was something she cleaned up post college but ultimately kept her at 11.0 for her senior career, along with the usual injuries which hold athletes back and maybe not running the 200m enough, something short athletes like SAFP have done to improve that final 40m.

Also total height and leg length are two different things, with Devers and Kersee stating that if the rest of her body matched her legs she'd be over 6ft!

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Originally posted by Madd Marine View Post
    I believe Ryun ran his AR on June 27th. In "The Jim Ryun Story" it's mentioned that Ryun was anxious about the AAU race against Snell because Jazy had recently lowered the record to 3:53.6 and Ryun's coach (Edmiston) had made remarks about going after the WR.
    Various people are correct about Jazy holding the WR at 3:53.6 when Ryun ran his 3:55.3, which indeed was run on June 27. (My computer is having problems getting "2/@" to register.)

I should have known better re Jazy, because the AAU was "always" late in June. I also remember a junior high school awards assembly the Thursday after Jazy's WR when the JHS track coach read an entire L'Equipe article in French to the assembly. The story went on and on and we could barely translate much of it, but we knew it must be something important.

The last time I'd heard the same teacher talk at any length was when he told our 7th grade social studies class we were being dismissed early from school because the president had been shot.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Angela Williams suffered the same fate as Nelli Cooman; too short to be a factor with another 40m tacked on (although SAFP has certainly broken the mould in that department).

Leave a comment:

• Gabriella2
    replied
    Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    Although the 2.0 wind is apparently confirmed, this ties US all-conditions best for HS by Angela Williams. Williams also holds the all-conditions best for an American Junior.

HS 10.98 in 1997
    AJr 10.96 in 1999
    Angela who? Ah, yes, the Angela Williams that only made an impact as a senior over 60m.

Sorry, that was harsh, but you get my point; let's not pressure this poor girl and let her develop at her own pace.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    no offense to Ms. Bailes, who was obviously a boggling talent, but an incredibly overwritten story taking lots of liberties with reality.

<She was the fastest woman on the planet >>… oh, really?

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bowie
    replied
    What was most impressive was how easily she seemed to accomplish the time. I agree, she reminds me of Wilma Rudolph. And her attitude seems refreshing as well. Very exciting.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied
    Originally posted by Charley Shaffer View Post
    Incredible story!!
    How times have changed!!

Leave a comment:

• Charley Shaffer
    replied
    Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    And she retired right after Mexico City 1968!
    This article explains why:
    http://www.utsandiego.com/uniontrib/...3olytrack.html

Leave a comment:

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    Just a thought: Was Margaret Bailes still in HS when she ran her wind-aided hand-timed 10.8 back in 1968?
    Never mind...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Bailes

...And she retired right after Mexico City 1968! :-(

Leave a comment:

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    Originally posted by Leo e sharkey View Post
    10.98 legal, as a thrower I think only Mike Carter is in the same league....
    Just a thought: Was Margaret Bailes still in HS when she ran her wind-aided hand-timed 10.8 back in 1968?

Leave a comment:

• Madd Marine
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
    Jazy set a new world record of 3:53.6 two days later on 9 June 1965 - a depressing day in NZ and at my high school as our national hero lost his WR.
    I believe Ryun ran his AR on June 27th. In "The Jim Ryun Story" it's mentioned that Ryun was anxious about the AAU race against Snell because Jazy had recently lowered the record to 3:53.6 and Ryun's coach (Edmiston) had made remarks about going after the WR.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X