• gh
    replied
    Re: Are Bikila & Bekele related?

Based on his claims, only 90 years.

Leave a comment:

• Jefferson Buffalo
    replied

>I just read an article how, because of the way conquerors used to take the most beautiful women of areas that they overran, there are 16 million descendants of Gengis Khan running around.<

Do you think that in 900 years from now, there will be 16 million descendents of Wilt Chamberlain?

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

Also ages are no what they
    >seem.

Really...?

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Sussex
    replied

No.The Ethiopians have a more fluid attitude to names than we in the west and surnames are often based on areas and tribes.Also ages are no what they seem.Oh, and Bikila Abebe was the greatest of them all in my humble opinion.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

Probably. I just read an article how, because of the way conquerors used to take the most beautiful women of areas that they overran, there are 16 million descendants of Gengis Khan running around.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

Rich -- that is a really good question, and a great observation. I found the following link and article from Runningtimes, which may shed some light on the subject - although it does not imply the two are not related:

"Derartu Tulu is my hero," Bekele reveals. "She was the first Ethiopian woman to win an Olympic gold medal for Africa and for Ethiopia. I heard all about her when I was starting out and she is someone I thought a lot about." >> http://www.runningtimes.com/issues/03sept/bekele.htm
    ___

The last really great Bikila, was the barefoot wonder who won the Olympic Games marathon on 2 occasions. If the two were related, I would imagine that Kenenisa Bekele would call Abebe Bikila (who won two OG Golds) his hero before calling a fellow teammate a hero.

Leave a comment:

• richxx87
    started a topic Are Bikila & Bekele related?

Are Bikila & Bekele related?

I was speaking to a friend yesterday, a 60-something Brit/big time track trivia master, and he said the great Abebe Bikila (Gold Rome, Tokyo Marathon) and the amazing Ethiopian Bekele brothers are relatives, but he wasn't sure how, i.e. grandkids, nephews, cousins or whatever....

I searched and searched the web for confirmation, but could not find anything definitive.... amazing what a dearth of info there is on a double world record holder!
    What is clear, is that the symbols in Amharic (main Ethiopian language) for "Be" and "Bi" are incredibly similar and converting such sounds into European alphabets is kinda hit and miss, there is really no set standard like if symbol "x" automatically translates as say "be" or "bi" in English/French/Italian etc. See link below for Ethiopic script and one linquist's translations:
    http://www.omniglot.com/writing/ethiopic.htm

But having said that, it is also standard convention that there are no inherited surnames in Ethiopia and people sometimes take their patronymic (father's first name) as a second name.
    So, the similarity in names does not necessarily indicate a relationship.......

Anyway, if my friend (who is normally right on the mark on most other trivia) is correct, then it would be a fabulous story.

Anyone else know about this??
Working...
X