Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20yr-old Miguel Francis runs 19.76 into -1.1 wind?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20yr-old Miguel Francis runs 19.76 into -1.1 wind?

I'm surprised I haven't seen anything about this in any other threads (unless I've missed it). Apparently 20 year old Miguel Francis of Antigua, a training partner of Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake, ran 19.76 into a -1.1 wind at the Antiquan national championships yesterday. His previous best was only 20.31. Any info on the legitimacy of this time?

Trackalerts ... World Track and Field News Resource ... Covering Jamaica track and field while showcasing World Athletics with live stream, live results, live updates, video highlights, recaps from Olympic Games, NCAA Championships, Cross Country, Commonwealth Games, Champs and World Athletics Champ

Well, looks pretty legit in his profile picture on twitter...lol. He is just as shocked as all of us..."19.76, I still can't believe I did that."

Comment

Previous best 20.31. A 10.28 100m best run one month earlier and he busts out a 19.76 against a 1.1 wind.

Ok.

Comment

The 19.76 doesn't seem to be available but there are a couple of vids from 2013, when he was 18 years old.

One is a 21.14. The other a 20.60 with an official 0.5 wind, although that is highly suspect on the visual evidence (trees, flags, etc.). Both vids are amateur jobs and provide only a glimpse of Francis' form.

Sir Reginald Samuel Games - U20 200m Men - 1st Place Miguel Francis (Club Team Force 2000 Athletics) 21.14sec, 2nd Julius Morris (Montserrat) 21.7sec; 3rd Ma...

Club Team Force 2000 Athletics celebrates with Miguel Francis Open 200m - 1st Place 20.60sec sec - New Meet Record (NMR), Personal Best, Fastest 200m race Ev...

Comment

Video (much better quality) of his 20.31 (0.0) previous PB, finishing third at Cayman Invite on 16 May, behind Jobodwana and Zharnel Hughes. He's in lane 7:

Asaso Jobodwana (South Africa) wins the men's 200m in a National Record 20.06 (beating the 20.11 set in 2002 by Morne Nagel) at the Cayman Invitational on Ma...

He can also be found on youtube anchoring Antigua at World Relays 2015 in the 4x100 Final B (6th) and prelim Heat 1 (4th behind JAM/Bolt). Since I did not find "official" Universal versions of those videos, I'm not posting.
          Last edited by player; 07-01-2015, 04:01 PM.

Comment

When I was in high school, my teammate was ecstatic after "breaking" the school record in the 200. It was quickly discovered that they accidentally started the race at the end of the 4x1 exchange zone, so he only ran 190 meters.

That time into a healthy wind with his credentials is consistent with what happened to my teammate.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato View Post
              When I was in high school, my teammate was ecstatic after "breaking" the school record in the 200. It was quickly discovered that they accidentally started the race at the end of the 4x1 exchange zone, so he only ran 190 meters.

That time into a healthy wind with his credentials is consistent with what happened to my teammate.
              So maybe we have another Marseille 1500 going on here?

Comment

I was thinking the same thing because this performance puts him up with Gatlin

Comment

Clearly he's a talent. The time is breathtaking given his previous personal best.

His next race will tell the true tale. Until then, or confirmed miscalculation by race officials, speculation is just that - speculation.

Comment

i remain a skeptic

Comment

VIDEO POSTED BY: @unlimited473 via twitter
                      UNBELIEVABLE!! 19.76 (-1.1) NR 200m Miguel Francis (@_Esan_) http://on.fb.me/1LI2mgn

Comment

Originally posted by starboyunlimited View Post
                        VIDEO POSTED BY: @unlimited473 via twitter
                        UNBELIEVABLE!! 19.76 (-1.1) NR 200m Miguel Francis (@_Esan_) http://on.fb.me/1LI2mgn
                        That's the same track where he ran the 21.14 and 20.60 races in the videos posted in my first post in this thread.

I'm prepared to believe that they know how to measure and time a 200m. I don't necessarily trust the wind reading. Love to see him in the Diamond League.

Comment

Still not listed by the IAAF in their Top List...
                          Regards,
                          toyracer

Comment

I agree with Francis himself in that I don't believe he did that either-jk.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                              i remain a skeptic
                              Would you also be skeptical if a no name American ran that time in Clermont?

Comment

Working...
                              X