Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanya Richards: big news?

I just received this from Texas sports information:

"On Wednesday, June 16, University of Texas track and field student-athlete Sanya Richards will hold a press conference at 10 a.m. to announce her future plans in the sport."

??????????
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

Re: Sanya Richards: big news?

Bye, bye.

Comment

Isn't she an engineering student? Sounds like she may be so turned off by all the drug crap and has decided to concentrate on her demanding studies. Either that or she's moving up to the 800. Ok bad joke. I guess that historical thread about greatest wasted talent can be retired. Man this really would suck. Calling Evelyn Ashford and JJK, would you consider trying to get her to reconsider?

Comment

USA Today article 2004-06-08

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ ... ards_x.htm

>> Although Richards' focus is on the NCAAs, she acknowledges that Athens has been on her mind. "My dad usually sees the big picture more than I do, but at the start of the year, I said to myself, 'This training is for the Olympics, this race is for the Olympics.' I really started dedicating myself."

Says Kearney: "She has the speed, the strength and the versatility to be phenomenal. She's beyond a collegiate athlete and has become a world-class athlete. The next stage is to excel at the world level." <<

Comment

why bye-bye? Couldn't she be getting a shoe deal like McWilliams?

Comment

> Sounds like she may be so turned off by all
            >the drug crap and has decided to concentrate on her demanding studies. ... I guess that historical
            >thread about greatest wasted talent can be retired. Man this really would
            >suck. Calling Evelyn Ashford and JJK, would you consider trying to get her to
            >reconsider?

Mel, I think you're going the wrong direction in your theorizing. I think the implication is that she's leaving UT, not the sport -- i.e., she's turning pro. Of course, that is pure speculation on my part. She could just as easily be holding the conference to try to quell rumors that she is leaving UT.

Comment

she is going pro

Comment

possible deal with Nike I beleive the conference is about

Comment

>possible deal with Nike I beleive the conference is about

There was that 2002 NIKE Athlete-of-the-Year award she won...

Comment

Mr. Nichols, can anyone attend this press conference, or is it just fo the press and her family... also do you know where it will be held... it is in Austin, right?

Comment

"Mel, I think you're going the wrong direction in your theorizing."

I will RARELY have been so thrilled to be so completely wrong!

Comment

>Mr. Nichols, can anyone attend this press conference, or is it just fo the
                        >press and her family... also do you know where it will be held... it is in
                        >Austin, right?

Yes, it will be at UT, but I would presume it's only open to members of the working press.

Comment

as opposed to the slacker press?

Comment

Heh, heh. I'm still trying figure out which side of that line I'm on.

Comment

Just got word from a source in Texas that Richards will indeed turn pro (no surprise there). She will still attend and train at Texas along with completing her degree. More information will be presented at the news conference.

Comment

Working...
                              X