Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Jacko Gill question for Tuariki

What are you hearing about Jacko's training in preparation for Beijing? Has he been in any competitions or is he just working on strength and technique? The shot is going to be very competitive this year with lots of big throwers out there. Do you think Jacko will be up to it this year?

He has been posting almost weekly training videos, but I have seen nothing competition wise.
    Nick White
    Roseville, CA

Comment

Originally posted by NW1969 View Post
      He has been posting almost weekly training videos, but I have seen nothing competition wise.
      As ever... he trains all the time and competes hardly ever. If he is in New Zealand as I think it's quite normal not to find competitions now that we are in Winter but I think he should have competed at least a couple of time while being in Sweden. Nothing can subsitute the feelings that only a competition can give.

Comment

Jacko was touted as the next big thing 4 years ago. Unfortunately since his WJR he has not done much competition wise. He's still a fantastic raw talent but it just goes to show how big a gap there can be between dominating at junior level and competing at senior.

Comment

His training videos are quite impressive as ever... he seems fit. In spite of everything, I think he will approach 21m in Beijing.

Comment

Does Gill perceive these weekly training videos to be competitions? Meanwhile Bukowiecki is competing weekly, unfazed by results as part of his program for delivering when it matters.

Comment

Gill did compete in a tiny meet in Australia on the weekend (in Brisbane August 9 - the warmest state in the winter months down here).

His series: 19.26, 19.50, 19.26, 19.05, F, 19.55

Not awe-inspiring...

Comment

Originally posted by is 74 really old? View Post
                What are you hearing about Jacko's training in preparation for Beijing? Has he been in any competitions or is he just working on strength and technique? The shot is going to be very competitive this year with lots of big throwers out there. Do you think Jacko will be up to it this year?
                I have no idea what Jacko is up to.

I was hoping he would be up for it at Beijing and I guess in a couple of weeks we will know. However, based on AS's report it does not look encouraging. Like Sasuke says I would have been expecting Jacko to be around the 21m mark in Beijing - fingers crossed.

Comment

I think he made a huge mistake not finishing school, and not going to some third level college, nor for sporring reasons but for life. I hope he bursts into action with 21 plus!

Comment

Gill is with the NZ team in Japan.

Comment

he won't medal

Comment

Did he ever go back and finish high school?

Comment

Originally posted by 1runner1 View Post
                          he won't medal
                          I don't think he will be a finalist either. His shape seems to have been worsening in recent times, with a competition sligthly over 20m and the last one well under. I guess 20.50+ will be needed for the final. He could do it, but it's a bit unlikely right now.

Comment

Interesting article about Gill. Most interesting things said are he lost some weights (he says 8kg in the month after the disappointment of CG) in order to become faster. He said he wanted to be like the best shot putters (he meant very big, even fat sometimes?) but that he prefers to be slimmer so that he could jump and run without problems. He also said his goal is to make the final, but it doesn't seem he will be desperate if he doesn't. He FINALLY says next year he is going to do some DL's meetings in order to pick up some money. Good thing, but he needs to be a 20high performer to be invited over there.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/athletics/...497951&ref=rss

Comment

Originally posted by Sasuke View Post
                              His training videos are quite impressive as ever... he seems fit.
                              I get the impression that 'training' is more important to him than actually 'competing'.

Comment

Working...
                              X