Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin Gatlin vs Usain Bolt

My case for Gatlin.

The last time they met at the Worlds, Bolt prevailed 9.77 to 9.85. Since then Gatlin has been far more impressive. He's ran a slew of 9.7's while Bolt has ran none.

I don't see a couple 9.87's on par with what Gatlin is doing in 2015. And if he'd been pushed in any of those 9.7's I think a 9.68 is very realistic.

Thinking Bolt will return to his 2012 form simply isn't realistic and he'll need to be that guy to run with this Gatlin.

So who ya got and why? If you have to resort to..."well back in the day..."...that's not good, Gatlin is hot right now.

Please keep it cool it's just track, ok?

Great question ... and probably the biggest teaser going into the WC. London was a great boost for Bolt's psyche. But Gatlin, deep down, believes he can beat Bolt, whilst others in years past were running for 2nd, no matter what they said.

On M/W/F, I think Gatlin will take Bolt down. He'll have enough of a lead at 60 that he will withstand the Bolt finish, and not panic.

On T/Th/Sat, I think Bolt will be close enough to walk Gatlin down by 90 meters.

On Sunday ... ??? I know that's a total dodge to your question, but for me, it's that close. But as Alan Shank said in another thread, after all our prognostications, that's why they settle it on the track.

Gatlin - 9.66
    Bolt - 9.71
    Last edited by bobguild76; 07-27-2015, 03:49 AM.

Comment

If the race were held today...

Gatlin 9.65
      Bolt 9.75

Comment

Originally posted by beebee View Post
        If the race were held today...

Gatlin 9.65
        Bolt 9.75
        How about at the Worlds?

Comment

If I had to put my house on one athlete ATM then it would be Gatlin. Simply because he has a lot more quality performances under his belt. As for the WC, we don't know what will happen as it is still a few weeks away.

Comment

This again Dickson? Weren't you proven wrong enough on Friday?

The World Championship is weeks away. Good luck to anyone betting against Bolt. And beebee - 9.65 for Gatlin? While you've always showed significant doubt towards Bolt, you've struck me as someone fiercely realistic, so pardon me for expressing surprise that you believe a 33 year old Justin Gatlin is going to run faster than anyone not named Usain Bolt has ever run.

I won't suggest a time, since I have no idea what race conditions will be. But I think it'll be a good battle between Gatlin and Bolt and I expect a championship ready Bolt to prevail.

Comment

It will probably be anti-climactic, the starter will be the same as the women's 200m from the Pan Am Games, hold them in the set position for 6 seconds, top 5 will false start and Kim Collins will win in a new age record of 9.95.

Comment

Originally posted by guinep View Post

The World Championship is weeks away. Good luck to anyone betting against Bolt. And beebee - 9.65 for Gatlin? While you've always showed significant doubt towards Bolt, you've struck me as someone fiercely realistic, so pardon me for expressing surprise that you believe a 33 year old Justin Gatlin is going to run faster than anyone not named Usain Bolt has ever run.

I won't suggest a time, since I have no idea what race conditions will be. But I think it'll be a good battle between Gatlin and Bolt and I expect a championship ready Bolt to prevail.
                You're kidding right? What ya get one wrong and retire, sheesh! And that changed nothing about my opinion that Gatlin is the da man in 2015.

Bolt ran a 9.85 in London in 2013, and all he could manage at the Worlds was a 9.77. So here it is two years later and we are suppose to think he's faster than that based on a couple questionable 9.87, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by guinep View Post

Gatlin opened his season with a 9.74. I don't think a 9.65 at the WC is unrealistic.
                  To me Bolt's time isn't as relevant as Rodgers being so close to him. I'd love to see Bolt run once more before the Championships.

Comment

Originally posted by Dickson View Post
                    How about at the Worlds?
                    About the same to me

Comment

Originally posted by Dickson View Post
                      You're kidding right? What ya get one wrong and retire, sheesh! And that changed nothing about my opinion that Gatlin is the da man in 2015.

Bolt ran a 9.85 in London in 2013, and all he could manage at the Worlds was a 9.77. So here it is two years later and we are suppose to think he's faster than that based on a couple questionable 9.87, huh?
                      Up till today there can be no question that Gatlin has been the man in 2015, and going into Beijing it is fair to award him the mantle of "the man to be beat".

However, your other 2 comments are laughable as far as what you are trying to imply.

Yes he ran 9.85 and yes he only ran 9.77 at the worlds. But you managed to omit the small rather relevant fact that he gave Gatlin just a little bit of a hiding with that "all he could manage... was a 9.77".

And can you explain just what it is that is questionable about his two 9.87s? Are you saying that the timing was all up the kibosh? and he actually ran slower than 9.87? Are you saying those claimed recorded strong head winds were actually tail winds? Are you saying that it was actually a balmy and warm 26 degrees and not a chilly 14 degrees as reported? Are you saying the track was not wet and hadn't been raining?

Comment

Originally posted by beebee View Post
                        To me Bolt's time isn't as relevant as Rodgers being so close to him.
                        So how does your logic stack up with the logic needed to explain how Bolt managed to win the 2012 London Gold when he was beaten by Blake at the Jamaican Nationals?

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                          Up till today there can be no question that Gatlin has been the man in 2015, and going into Beijing it is fair to award him the mantle of "the man to be beat".

However, your other 2 comments are laughable as far as what you are trying to imply.

Yes he ran 9.85 and yes he only ran 9.77 at the worlds. But you managed to omit the small rather relevant fact that he gave Gatlin just a little bit of a hiding with that "all he could manage... was a 9.77".

And can you explain just what it is that is questionable about his two 9.87s? Are you saying that the timing was all up the kibosh? and he actually ran slower than 9.87? Are you saying those claimed recorded strong head winds were actually tail winds? Are you saying that it was actually a balmy and warm 26 degrees and not a chilly 14 degrees as reported? Are you saying the track was not wet and hadn't been raining?

In 2013 Bolt ran sub9.90 three times, his SB 9.77. Gatlin ran a sub9.90 twce, with that 9.85 his season best. Now since 2013 look at what Gatlin has done compared to Bolt. And even his 2013 self couldn't hang with todays Gatlin. You disagree?

As far as London goes, are you telling me you think I;m the only one questioning things? A lot of people are questioning the times, why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                            So how does your logic stack up with the logic needed to explain how Bolt managed to win the 2012 London Gold when he was beaten by Blake at the Jamaican Nationals?
                            Maybe he'll get there, but Bolt's not there yet. And Gatlin is at the top of his game.

Comment

"DRUG BANS SHOULD BE FOR LIFE"

"What is a win worth when taken with a cup of cold piss? Even in victory there is defeat."

- The Independent, July 27th, 2015

: agree!
                              Last edited by observer2; 07-27-2015, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X